• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Titanium angle stock availabilty

vj88

Anchorage, AK
Hello, im looking for titanium angle stock 1.5x1.5x.250” to make long steps for my gear legs. I have a request with a local metal shop but cant seem to locate any. Does anyone have any ideas in case my metal shop is unsuccessful.

Thank you

I've never worked with Ti flat stock. How does it handle in a bend?

Web
I have never worked with titanium at all. I'm certain it must be bendable. 1/4" would be quite stiff. Press brakes do a nice job of bending. Doesn't someone make gear legs of titanium for Cessna 180/185s? They would be thicker and have been bent.

I would not even try to bend .250 in a press brake. Maybe .095 or up to .125 I can not even comprehend the need for .250 unless an Elephant is climbing the step. But then the gear leg would fail.

What's wrong with aluminum angle?

Glenn

What he said. For a step, aluminum is fine. Unless you just want the “cool” factor of Ti, aluminum is lighter. If you really need tough, skip the 6061T6 you’d get at the local welding shop and order up a stick of 2024T3 or T4 or for top toughness and strength, 7075T6. Spruce carries the 2024, 7075 you’ll have to search a little further for.
If you want really sexy, try some float step material that Aeroset sells. It’s a tad pricey though.

Mike

With the heat treated alloys (2024, 7075)you can probably use 1/8” angle and get the same results for a step at almost half the weight. No downside to shaving weight!

Mike

I've had to straiten steps in my press, the 1/4" thick, no lightening holes drilled atlee steps.... they WILL and DO bend...

Last edited:
I drew a blank on metal weights. Was intending to save weight from airframes long step as i need them on both sides. Likely not worth the effort after i give it more thought.

I would not even try to bend .250 in a press brake. Maybe .095 or up to .125 I can not even comprehend the need for .250 unless an Elephant is climbing the step. But then the gear leg would fail.
Like peanut butter.

Cincinnati_Brake_Press_2048x.jpg

Like peanut butter.

Cincinnati_Brake_Press_2048x.jpg

I have use of a 50 ton press brake 2 miles from my shop, it will not bend most alloys and heat treats of Ti without buckling or cracking. This is proven. The material is more complex to work with than most people can fathom.

I have use of a 50 ton press brake 2 miles from my shop, it will not bend most alloys and heat treats of Ti without buckling or cracking. This is proven. The material is more complex to work with than most people can fathom.
Other than using the correct bend radius, how is bending Ti done?

Back