• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wipaire 2,000 lb fuselage cluster modification

Is this little tube all that gets added to the fuselage?

C4CD66E4-BE04-4626-A30E-B3A4E18E8D60.jpeg

E983B88E-D84D-4865-A005-59AD2CC66686.jpg
Steve Pierce pic

Attachments

• C4CD66E4-BE04-4626-A30E-B3A4E18E8D60.jpeg
    C4CD66E4-BE04-4626-A30E-B3A4E18E8D60.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 366
  • E983B88E-D84D-4865-A005-59AD2CC66686.jpg
    E983B88E-D84D-4865-A005-59AD2CC66686.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 289
Folks at wip told me the small tube is not structural
They said it was only put there so it could be easy to identify if their kit was installed

Folks at wip told me the small tube is not structural
They said it was only put there so it could be easy to identify if their kit was installed

I have been trying to figure out where this rumor came from. I’ve asked the team here that worked on the certification and others that have been here 25+ years and they say that is not the case. It is an easy way to see if an airplane has been modified but we are not in the habit of requiring installs of cosmetic items. I went 8 years never hearing this rumor and then three times this year. Would be curious to hear the source and check if their info is different from what I’ve researched.

—Amy

I would call that rumor BS. If I remember right the rear strut has a reinforcement at the spar attachment that is pretty easy to see. I will have to look at mine to be sure I am getting old and only keep so many penguins on the iceberg.
DENNY

amy, werent some of the 2000lb ers on floats breaking or cracking the door frame where that brace is?

I have not heard of that, but I also am not really involved in the tech support side, so I wouldn’t necessarily know if that had been reported to us. There are more knowledgeable folks than me that handle warranties, tech support, etc. which is a good thing. I’ll ask around though, would be interesting to know. Like everything in life, if you try hard enough you can break anything!

—Amy

I would call that rumor BS. If I remember right the rear strut has a reinforcement at the spar attachment that is pretty easy to see. I will have to look at mine to be sure I am getting old and only keep so many penguins on the iceberg.
DENNY
100_8612.JPG

Attachments

• 100_8612.JPG
    100_8612.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 785
A few years ago I was able to discuss this with Jim Richmond of Cub Crafters, and found that he had some first hand knowledge of the testing.

He as I recall said that a used older fuselage (pre 4130) was used for the drop testing and that there must have been some sort of flexing in this area. Perhaps similar to leaving your rear seat cross over bar out, and have a rough landing. The installation of the tube stopped it and satisfied the Feds.

They wanted the gross weight upgrade to apply to as many cubs as possible; so I guess you test the “weakest link”.

Jim said that he used a new 4130 fuselage for their GW increase testing and this issue didn’t come up.

Back