• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

baby it's wet back there...

dstr59

N. california
so all you float/cub guys, what are your corrosion prevention measures to protect the back end of the aircraft, and the float hardware?
and what products do you use?
does anybody have a full metal belly like an A model?

Yup, paralketone is the best plan. Otherwise, nothing special. If you do get in salt, wash down with fresh water as soon as practical.

MTV

First seaplane ride I took was from Key West to Dry Tortugas in a Cessna 206 on straight floats. I was a new pilot then and took special interest in looking for corrosion.

I couldn't see anything. The pilot said he had kids working around the clock rinsing off the airplanes. Even so, he said they retired them after a few years. Boggled my mind. Seemed like a prosperous operation.

Paralkatone is a black thick almost tar like liquid ,no?
It's like molasses in viscosity and color and can be diluted with petroleum. Fuel oil, avgas, kerosene etc. I use 100LL. Thin it or not to suit your application.

So, it is a fairly long term coating? Only removed intentionally and lasts until you remove the hardware it is applied to, it sounds like.

When I worked at Rhinebeck we mixed it with some turpintine to make it a little thinner. Then heated it up so we could paint it on. More like Cosmoline when it cools.

Glenn

The back of most floatplanes drain..... forward. Yup, tail is higher then belly. Pour some water in an inspection hole in the back and watch where it settles, then melt some holes in the fabric in that area with a solder iron or hot nail

Glenn

When I worked at Rhinebeck we mixed it with some turpintine to make it a little thinner. Then heated it up so we could paint it on. More like Cosmoline when it cools.

Glenn
So there really is a modern day use for turpentine? Who'd a thunk it. Thanks!

When I was oerating a Beaver on amphibs and a Cud on straight floats in Kodiak, I was advised by our old timer Chief of Maintenance to apply lots of paralketone, thin it, apply it and let it turn into a “crust”.

I did so. Then I’d take one of those planes up to our ANC maintenance base for 100 hour. Mechanics would whine about having to remove all that goo during an inspection. Meantime, our Maintenance boss gave me a thumbs up.

Stuff is tough to remove, but when you get it off, the underlying metal looks like new.

MTV

so all you float/cub guys, what are your corrosion prevention measures to protect the back end of the aircraft, and the float hardware?
and what products do you use?
does anybody have a full metal belly like an A model?

Are you putting floats on your Cub ?

Exhaust gas and some soils can eventually cause corrosion. Nothing wrong with some protection even when not on floats.

Back