• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Husky, Only Part 23?

In a word, ... NO.. at at least not that I know of..
What are you looking for in a Husky Experimental, that you can't find in a Cub Experimental?

In a word, ... NO.. at at least not that I know of..
What are you looking for in a Husky Experimental, that you can't find in a Cub Experimental?

I saw a Husky A-1C in the hanger today and was wow’ed to say the least.

Was just curious as much as anything

Lots of Cubs have morphed from certificated to E-AB legally. There's no reason the same couldn't be done with a new Husky, but it'd be mighty expensive to start a project with a $300K+ airplane. Kinda like taking an X Cub apart to modify it into a Carbon Cub.

Stewart,

The OP did specify any A-1 Huskys. Those started production in late 80s. Not $300 K airplanes.

MTV

My bad. He stated how impressed he was with the C model. I'm guessing most who read it understood what I said. But pointing out what's wrong with somebody else's opinion rather than providing your own opinion has become the internet standard. Have at it.

There was a fellow out west who put his into an EXP category. He removed the c/s prop as well as other things. His objective was to lighten the airplane and get better STOL performance. I have not hear how it performs now compared to when he started the process.

Kurt

My bad. He stated how impressed he was with the C model. I'm guessing most who read it understood what I said. But pointing out what's wrong with somebody else's opinion rather than providing your own opinion has become the internet standard. Have at it.

Groan....

MTV

I took the original Post as the question, "does anyone offer an Experimental Version of the Husky?"...

Just wondering if there are any Husky A-1 variants that are experimental?

You could probably buy a used fuselage, and build the wings from parts under the 51% rule. It just wouldn't be a "Husky." I actually thought about this. There are some opportunities for weight reduction, like changing all the aluminum panels in the front fuselage for fabric. A bit of Carbon fiber. Might be worth the effort if you found a low cost fuselage from a wreck - and bought parts from various suppliers not necessarily the factory. Probably cheaper to buy an early A-1 and fly it

Way, way cheaper. More fun to find a beater Cub and fly that. Opinion!

One of the guys came in with an X-Cub the other day. Says it does 145 mph. Wish my Super Decathlon did that.

Lightweight Husky

20200821_113040 (002).jpgThis is a Husky we did, eliminated many of the metal panels for fabric, lots of carbon fiber, nosebowl, wingtips, floorboards, panel, interior, etc. Has belly pod and 35's, extended cub gear with AOSS, gear is covered and AOSS has fairings on them, gained about 8 mph for both of those. Still weighs about 1300 lbs, just hard to get anymore out of a Husky.
John

Attachments

• 20200821_113040 (002).jpg
    20200821_113040 (002).jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
There was a fellow out west who put his into an EXP category. He removed the c/s prop as well as other things. His objective was to lighten the airplane and get better STOL performance. I have not hear how it performs now compared to when he started the process.

Kurt
I guess Ill spend some time here now that the Husky site is no more?

Kurt
I guess Ill spend some time here now that the Husky site is no more?

Looks like my new hangout. Hopefully FlyHusky comes back on line. If not maybe we can start another one

John now that your using both, how does the Shok-dawg gear compare to the ASOS? I personally think the shok-dawg is the best upgrade to the Husky line yet.

Dale

Dale, you should try the Shock gear with the SGS kit from Tom Dietrich. It helps even the Shock gear.

Kurt

Hardrock,
The factory extended shock gear is good, 4" extended and 2" forward is nice. But for the rough stuff I still prefer the AOSS and extended cub gear on a Husky. It is slow with all hanging out, for speed one cannot beat the factory setup.
John

Dale, you should try the Shock gear with the SGS kit from Tom Dietrich. It helps even the Shock gear.

Kurt
I've run Tom's SGS on both previous pre shok-dawg husky and just trying to track down the 2 upgrade rubber bumpers to install it on the current dawg.

Anybody flying the old wing, check out Tom's delta spades. As close to the light stick forces of a new wing as you'll get.

I've run Tom's SGS on both previous pre shok-dawg husky and just trying to track down the 2 upgrade rubber bumpers to install it on the current dawg.

Anybody flying the old wing, check out Tom's delta spades. As close to the light stick forces of a new wing as you'll get.
You can get the upgrade from Tom Dietrich. Thats what I did last year

Back