Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trouble shooters?

Post Thanks / Like
    I recall my prop guy saying 25, but that's comparing new props that have been tuned. Factory props are a crapshoot. And to compare a new prop to a used one that's been filed or re-profiled is more of a crapshoot. The rule of thumb I was told by one of the best Cub mechanics ever is that we want 2400 minimum rpm at full power static. My preference is not to overspeed in full power level cruise. On my old -12 with a very healthy 160hp an 82-42 was a perfect match. Most of my Cub friends use 82-41, even with 160hp. I do have a friend that had an 82-44 on a 320, but that motor wasn't stock.
    Thanks barrow pilot thanked for this post
    Likes Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Already mentioned but 82-44 is too much prop for a 150 hp.
    I had a VW beatle when I was a kid and it was a dog. My Dad said it was because I had fat tires on it. What would he know! Spent a fortune looking for the reason the engine was not performing. Turned out the old fart was correct.
    Back Country O-375 wide body extended wing cub
    Likes 40m, RVBottomly, brown bear, Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cgoldy View Post
    Turned out the old fart was correct.
    I always hated when that happened. Now that I'M the old fart, I hope I can keep that trend going.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.
    Likes Hardtailjohn, brown bear liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Loosing the restrictive whistling perforated baffles in the VW's twin muffler outlets opened'er up. But I get the analogy of a too large prop load vs tire load.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    So what’s the thought on Borer prop pitch. I am building a 160. 82-42 or 41?

Post Thanks / Like
    My experience, a stock 160 at sea level - 42
    Lycon 160 with all the whistles and bells - 44
    These numbers should provide recommended static rpm and all around performance.
    Take into account your flying style and tweak it from there.
    Likes DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I run a 43 on my 160 for everyday flying. At 2400 every inch change = 2.5-3 mph change. If you don't have to pull a big load off short the speed of a 44 is nice. If you have a good running engine I would say the takeoff distance change is not that much difference, 30 feet maybe, between a say a 40 and a 43. If your not making good power is would have a much greater affect.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd go 82-42.
    After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF !

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a fresh 150 hp cub and 41” works great but would be too flat for 160 hp

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't take this as a message for the sake of argument, but. From what I have experienced: If the fellow who flew several stock 150 0320's was consistently getting them to 2800 with an 82-44 I think he had the nose pointed slightly downhill or used the same tach in all the airplanes. You may have other issues to find, but when you do, you will still be better off with a 41 or if willing to give up a little take off and climb performance then maybe a 42. As others have stated here the 44 is too much prop, generally, for the 150. Just my 2 cents. I hope you are able to find your problem soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a motor once that wouldn't make power. The cam to crank timing was off by a tooth.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a HIO360 that wouldn't make power. Bought as a core with plans to rebuild. Seller said it was running good when removed(don't believe it). I decided to hang it and see how the airplane(Acroduster) flew with more ponies. It should have made 2350-2400 static but wouldn't even do 2000. Overheated quickly, oil temp went up as pressure went down...Of coarse I didn't fly it.
    I pulled the suction screen and it was completely full of the rod bearings. That's what you get when an engine is just too good of a deal. Rods were scrap, case was cracked and crank was bad. Live and learn.
    Last edited by n40ff; 10-19-2020 at 07:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynlow View Post
    I have a fresh 150 hp cub and 41” works great but would be too flat for 160 hp

Depends on your mission. There were times when I wished my “41” was a 40 or 39 on a 160hp. When canyon walls and cedar trees fill up your windscreen I have a tendency to want less pitch.
    Likes DENNY, hotrod180, flynlow liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Trouble shooters?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
    Depends on your mission. There were times when I wished my “41” was a 40 or 39 on a 160hp. When canyon walls and cedar trees fill up your windscreen I have a tendency to want less pitch.
    I hear ya but my 150 hp will spin the 41” prop past 2800 at 3000’ msl level WOT

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    There's new props and worn props. Props that conform to new spec limits can put more of a load on the engine than well used models. Careless profiling changes the airfoil shape and so on.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynlow View Post
    I hear ya but my 150 hp will spin the 41” prop past 2800 at 3000’ msl level WOT

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Pull it back then It’s a compromise. If you’re worried about speed and WOT buy a bonanza!

I get where you’re coming from leaving a little on the table at cruise but I’ll give the top end up for bottom end any day in a cub.

You aren’t far from Amarillo. Bring that under under-propped thing down and we’ll play in the Palo Duro Canyon. You’ll appreciate your fine pitched club. Promise!
    Thanks Coondog thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Flynlow, here’s my other point.....Fowler, KS is 181nm from my home strip. Given a few KTS headwind, a 75kts cruise on Bushwheels and a 41 pitch prop it’ll take you 2hr +25 to get to my place. If everything is the same but you changed to a 44 pitched prop and estimating a generous cruise of 81 KTS, you’d shave 12 min off your trip but now that cool 250’ spot in the canyon that you landed easy looks real short when taking off......Click image for larger version. 

Name:	63963382-8A90-45B0-B7EE-412BE3510CCB.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	51762
    Likes BC12D-4-85 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That’s a funny looking borer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Hamilton Standard. From that distance it can be anything you want.
    Likes RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Getting back to scottsville’s question, I just read through the whole thread and saw two guys raise cam timing but scottsville didn’t comment on those. When the carb is good, the compression is good, the spark is good, the exhaust is good and no inlet leaks - and an engine still will not perform IMHO that points to the cam and maybe lifters - corrosion and wear - or mistimed. Be good to know what it is in the end. I run a slightly cropped 81 x 43 Borer on a 160 which seems about perfect

Likes ADK_Cub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Check SB 258 make sure carb is correct for sump.
    DENNY