• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Air Filters

Cub Special Ed

MT/SD
Have a c90 on a pa11. Have any of you got experience with the k&n? Got a 500 hr donaldson coming due. I have used k&n on my diesel pickup and race cars. Love them in those applications. Definately sharper throttle response on the powerstroke but that could also just be going to a cold air system. Anyway, your thoughts are appreciated.

On my Cessna? I've used Brackett, Challenger (K&N), and Donaldson. I still have the Brackett and 2 Challengers. A Donaldson is on the plane. No recognizable MP difference between a very porous K&N and Donaldson. I can see through the K&N but not the Donaldson so I figure the latter has to filter better. No knock on K&N. That's what I have on my Cub, because it's a very custom installation and K&N is what we had to work with. I don't like K&N when the filter is directly into the wind. Bugs smash in and harden like stone. It's nearly impossible to clean the filter well. I haven't had that problem with the dry Donaldson filter material. On my Cub the filter material isn't exposed to direct hits. It does okay in that configuration.

Last edited:
If you intend to run in a dirty (off airport) environment I’d steer clear of K&N.
might flow better but does not filter as well as a result.
Donaldson would be my first choice.

Last edited:
My tests on a C-90 with Challenger and Donaldson yielded the same manifold pressure WFO. The Challenger eventually changed from red to white color but they claim the oil's still there. Rain seems to make it happen faster. For motorcycles Harley Davidson offers a fine mesh over sock to cover exposed K&N filters that allegedly repels rain.

Gary

I may try the Donaldson. Been running the K&N and their oil for years with no issues. Mostly float and ski flying and not many hrs on wheels so dust hasn't been an issue for me.

If you intend to run in a dirty (off airport) environment I’d steer clear of K&N.
might flow better but does not filter as well as a result.
Donaldson would be my first choice.

What is the data behind that? According the lab test (admittedly from Donaldson):

https://donaldsonaerospace-defense.com/library/files/documents/pdfs/007217.pdf

second page - the K&N was very close to Donaldson in filtering particles, and both where magnitudes better then the bracket. Data does seem to backup your statement.

My data is the three Challengers I have on my shelf for my Cessna. Hold them up to a light source. The older the Challenger (more cleanings) the more points of light you see, even after oiling. Donaldson shows zero pinholes whether new or old, washed or not.

Last edited:
Back