Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: TK1 vs. Acme Aero (SEP 2020)

Post Thanks / Like
    Back to Post 87. I was there, about 150 feet from where that plane had a "maximum extension" and I was part of the group that looked at that plane after. NOT A trace of damage to the undercarriage. (and it did not bounce 1 inch)

I have personally tested both the TK1s and the ACMEs on my cub, and I mean TESTED! and for the record, as of today I have ACMEs on the plane. The TK1s are amazing and are lightyears above anything I could imagine coming from coil springs, and I never had a single issue with durability or failure. The ACMEs are just as capable and in my application about 3lbs a side lighter, that is how I made my choice. YMMV, everyone has an opinion, just ask Dooley!
    Last edited by tcraft128; 10-14-2020 at 11:43 AM.
    Turning money into noise since 1996

Our Build here

Likes RaisedByWolves, Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

TK1 vs. Acme Aero (SEP 2020)

🤦
    Dooley isnít even on here and he gets mentioned. Nooooo, donít ask Dooley!!

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org
    Likes RaisedByWolves, N9PW liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate this thread, and if I ever need to fix my gear, I will likely replace it with the AOSS (certified) system.

Is there a general life limit on hydrosorbs? AFAICT, they were last replaced by the Italians in the 70s (it's an L21B).
    Make friends, because life isnít fair.
    Likes DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I check the hydrosorbs when I install new bungees to see if they have any resistance. The idea was the shock was suppose to reduce the rebound.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Local guy bought an early model backcountry cub with TK1's a couple of years ago. I did his Tailwheel endorsement in it. When I signed him off, I told him "don't ever fly a bungee Cub with out flying with me first". The issue was we never had a bounce that he had to decide how to recover from. We made some horrendous arrivals and landings and that airplane just stuck to the ground. Cool!
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thread on Facebook about landing gear systems. I noticed Sir Dooley has TK1's on his cub. His dog/copilot must approve. As I'll be flying my labrador copilot, I have to live up to the highest scrutiny!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Wow, I'm famous.

I've got Acme shocks, I like them. I don't really think about them so much anymore, until I fly a plane with bungees and think I forgot how to land. Once in a while, I get suckered into following someone on 35s. Then they come in handy.
    Likes RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thaefeli View Post
    Local guy bought an early model backcountry cub with TK1's a couple of years ago. I did his Tailwheel endorsement in it. When I signed him off, I told him "don't ever fly a bungee Cub with out flying with me first". The issue was we never had a bounce that he had to decide how to recover from. We made some horrendous arrivals and landings and that airplane just stuck to the ground. Cool!
    Like people who have only driven AWD vehicles in snow, can't drive a 2WD in snow, don't know all the tricks. Interesting, PIO's on a blown touchdown may be a thing of the past?
    Likes TurboBeaver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by courierguy View Post
    Like people who have only driven AWD vehicles in snow, can't drive a 2WD in snow, don't know all the tricks. Interesting, PIO's on a blown touchdown may be a thing of the past?
    I'm working on a version you can repack after every landing. Should make it easier for folks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	option.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	602.2 KB 
ID:	51648
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    I'm working on a version you can repack after every landing. Should make it easier for folks.

Name:	option.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	602.2 KB 
ID:	51648
    I'm glad Pierce is doing the testing.
    Likes SJ, tcraft128, Steve Pierce, cubdriver2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    So a friend I fly with regularly called me today. He lives in Texas and has a place in Idaho where his EX2 has been for a bout a month. Got there and one of his TK1s had leaked and airplane was leaning pretty good. Luckily through our Super Cub network I texted someone who sent me contact to someone on the field with a nitrogen bottle and regulator go get him going. Something else to think about I guess. I had a good talk with Tony who explained how to service them and what to check and how on inspections.

Name:	49540.jpeg 
Views:	984 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	51674

Name:	49541.jpeg 
Views:	986 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	51675
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes Dan Gervae liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by courierguy View Post
    I actually prefer the control I have with 2WD in snow.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes courierguy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Any idea how often the nitrogen charge on an Acme or TK1 system would need to be checked/serviced or is that an "it depends" question? AOSS seems relatively maintenance free, even if it doesn't provide the same degree of shock absorption.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhal747 View Post
    Any idea how often the nitrogen charge on an Acme or TK1 system would need to be checked/serviced or is that an "it depends" question? AOSS seems relatively maintenance free, even if it doesn't provide the same degree of shock absorption.
    I check the Acme's during annual. Nice thing with the acme is even if the nitrogen leaks out it doesn't deflate like the above pictured carbon cub
    Likes C130jake liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    When you recognize more than your "normal" squat it indicates shock pressure is down. It's never happened to mine. I've played with pressure to find what I like best but once set it's stayed there, even after a year of inactivity.

One thing several TK-1 users are doing, including me, is to reduce shock pressure a little and add some tire inflation pressure. That induces a little squat. All the advantages of the good suspension and shock absorption with easier rolling. I'm pretty sure that's what you're seeing in some of the pictures you see of a well known yellow and gray Carbon Cub. And as already mentioned, having some drop-out is a good thing on rough ground. Otherwise you bunny hop over irregularities.
    Last edited by stewartb; 10-16-2020 at 11:57 AM.
    Likes JeffP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I was wondering why I was seeing that squat in all the pics. I find myself running the bushwheels harder with the AOSS also makes moving the plane a lot easier and takeoff is better.
    DENNY
    Likes JeffP, jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhal747 View Post
    I can’t speak to Acme, no experience with them.

Re TK1’s
    Tony asked for my typical flying weight, empty weight, and gear length.
    Shipped them with 90 psi (if I recall)
    I installed them right out of the box 800 hrs ago and , aside from occasional clean and lube moving parts, haven’t touched them since.

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably more like 160-170-180#. Mine are at about 190# now on the longer gear.

Mine weren't charged when I got them. It surprised me. No problem, just unexpected.
    Likes Oliver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Oliver, have you used zip ties on the lower strut shaft to measure your shock travel? It's the gauge for setting shock pressure for the airplane weight and use. I think 4" is the target but I'd have to dig up old texts to verify. If you aren't set up for full travel you give up one of the TK-1 performance advantages.

FWIW, TK also makes a single shock that uses and internal coil spring. https://store.tk1racing.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=237

Serious question for Acme users. How much shock length is determined by gas pressure? Can you release pressure to soften the suspension for light ops and increase pressure to maintain airplane height for heavy ops? I don't know anything about internal spring gas shocks. I know a fair bit about external spring gas shocks, and spring adjustment is how we adjust height with those.
    Thanks Airguide thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Crickets!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    Crickets!
    Kinda what I got when I asked you about your engines that had major metal contamination and everything had to be replaced.

I checked pressure on the early aluminum schrader valves and found no pressure on one. Was riding on the spring. No change it height. When I pressured it up it sure helped the rebound.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like I selected the right shock!

As for metal in an engine? I figured you had to be joking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stewart,
    havnt played with pressure on TK1’s. Gear stance is pretty normal when parked at current pressure.
    Im running 31’s pretty low for more contact area for braking. Not feeling much rebound at current setting but I see your point. Ill try the zip tie trick, maybe fool around with pressures a bit.
    thanks
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I will answer but I am not an expert by any means. The shocks only have a small adjustment at the heim. If that is not enough you can send the shocks back in and have them lengthened or shortened by changing the rod out. They can also change other things inside the shock to be more custom to your type of landings. So if you don't like how your ride is or the length you can send them in and they will turn them around in about a day according to Matt. I liked the ride right out of the box, zero rebound from what I can tell. I did not like the length so I made my own adjustment to that in my machine shop, still playing with how I want the airplane to sit static. The Javron gear is not the same as Airframes or Atlee Dodge so mine were to long. I bought them from a guy in Alaska who had never installed them on a narrow body cub with I think Atlee gear. If you have a large envelope from light to heavy you may see the gear tucked in more than you like or splayed out but that is only a guess at this point since I have not loaded the airplane to gross weight. Need to play with that and see where the happy medium is for that also. So the answer is no I believe to changing the ride height by airing them up or down but I personally would not want to have to do that anyway PIMA. I love them and for what it is worth the machine work is top notch. I don't like the looks of the monster shock double thing and how it is assembled with the exposed slider. I have only flown them once on Mike Olsens cub and never put them to any test so other then landing in the back country of Idaho at a few spots I have no experience in the off road world. If I did I might think they were the best, lots more choices now then a while back and that is nice. I have the Black Ops Gen 4 and I am a fan at this point and I have landed and hit things with them and been surprised at how smooth they are even with more pressure in the tire then I usually run in my 35" tires. It use to be the tire doing the work now it is the shock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9lMZSNLvfA
    Last edited by Mauleguy; 10-18-2020 at 09:58 AM. Reason: typo
    Thanks stewartb, jrussl thanked for this post
    Likes Steve Pierce, Kid Durango, jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If only there was a way to adapt either one to my Cessna!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauleguy View Post
    I will answer but I am not an expert by any means. The shocks only have a small adjustment at the heim. If that is not enough you can send the shocks back in and have them lengthened or shortened by changing the rod out. They can also change other things inside the shock to be more custom to your type of landings. So if you don't like how your ride is or the length you can send them in and they will turn them around in about a day according to Matt. I liked the ride right out of the box, zero rebound from what I can tell. I did not like the length so I made my own adjustment to that in my machine shop, still playing with how I want the airplane to sit static. The Javron gear is not the same as Airframes or Atlee Dodge so mine were to long. I bought them from a guy in Alaska who had never installed them on a narrow body cub with I think Atlee gear. If you have a large envelope from light to heavy you may see the gear tucked in more than you like or splayed out but that is only a guess at this point since I have not loaded the airplane to gross weight. Need to play with that and see where the happy medium is for that also. So the answer is no I believe to changing the ride height by airing them up or down but I personally would not want to have to do that anyway PIMA. I love them and for what it is worth the machine work is top notch. I don't like the looks of the monster shock double thing and how it is assembled with the exposed slider. I have only flown them once on Mike Olsens cub and never put them to any test so other then landing in the back country of Idaho at a few spots I have no experience in the off road world. If I did I might think they were the best, lots more choices now then a while back and that is nice. I have the Black Ops Gen 4 and I am a fan at this point and I have landed and hit things with them and been surprised at how smooth they are even with more pressure in the tire then I usually run in my 35" tires. It use to be the tire doing the work now it is the shock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9lMZSNLvfA
    Mauleguy sounds like you built another Javron cub? How about some details on what you did different than the last one and comparisons? Also whatís different about the Javron gear? Always appreciate your input and real world experience!
    Likes pfm liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	first flight.jpeg 
Views:	84 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	51747
    Yes, Narrow body, O-320 with 10-1 pistons, 35" bushwheels, electric system but no starter, 3" extended Javron gear, Baby bushwheel, Fineline seats from Anchorage,
    Borer prop pitched 41, Acme gen 4 shocks, Superflight fabric and paint.

Javron gear is built 3" extended but not wider so than stock so it has shorter strut lengths then Airframes and Atlee
    Thanks thunderhead85 thanked for this post
    Likes thunderhead85 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    To add a little more detail about the difference between the last one, which was a wide body with extended squared off wings and long double slotted flaps. Hard to compare the two.

Wide body Cub flew slower but was not as sporty, hard to beat the handling of a stock cub wing.
    Narrow body feels much lighter in the tail then the wide body cub but it has been a while since I flew a cub and tried to land short. It seems to leap off the ground but landing rolls right now seem long in comparison to Bushwacker where I can almost land with the brakes locked. I also flew Bushwacker almost a 100 hours in September so I was pretty tuned up by the time I got home from Moose hunting.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moose.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	283.7 KB 
ID:	51748Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bushwacker.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	185.7 KB 
ID:	51749
    Thanks thunderhead85 thanked for this post
    Likes mam90, thunderhead85, Dave Calkins, jrussl, BTV liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been in Arkansas playing, not flying as much as I would have liked but a good time none the less. In my down time I got to thinking about this adjustability of the shock length. Is the pressure adjustment to change length on the TK1 as the trun buckle is on the AOSS and the Heims joint on the Acme?
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Primary strut length is determined by the main tube. My first gear took two tries to get it right and the long gear was perfect. All three sets of tubes have two length holes drilled. A bolt near the top of the assembly captures the hole to establish length and an adjustable rod end allows fine tuning. My rod ends are screwed all the way in. I think Tony allows 1/2" of threads to show. You can adjust struts to keep tires vertical with whatever pressure you prefer. Or add/decrease pressure as needed and let them splay a little when soft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9E972410-3F19-4693-BD25-CFF8751B1CA2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	51797   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7512C768-BB9B-4468-82B7-697B1DE6AD49.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	51798   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0BF1C5E7-0E30-465B-B139-A884AE775CCF.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	51799  

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I see how the system works now and that you are running the tires with a camber angle perpendicular to the ground. At one point I thought y'all were changing that camber angle. Thanks for the pictures.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    My gear is a little splayed out. I could shorten the tube and extend the rod end to square it up but I'd rather not. A little splay doesn't bother me. If I move toward lowering the shock pressure? Shortening the tube may come into play.