Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TK1 vs. Acme Aero (SEP 2020)

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want speed I would do a fairing in a heartbeat. One reason to get any of this advanced gear is for rough off field work. Rocks/sticks/brush/whatever is going to be a much bigger threat to your tail than a well made fairing. The other reason is to help hide all you bad landing habits. In either case a well made fairing is not an issue with safety.
    DENNYT
    Thanks Narwhal thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I fair every thing I can, not for speed but less drag. Screw speed, but better range/ less fuel burn, better climb and glide, all result from less drag. Good attributes in a back country plane I'm thinking, and I hate to throw them away in drag I can get rid of. Small amount? Sure, but there nontheless. I also drive the first or second lowest drag car on the planet!

Post Thanks / Like
    FYI, the link to the super stol discussion of shock failure brought up an almost five year old thread. I wouldn't base a decision on such outdated information, especially with a continually evolving product.
    Likes RoddyM, mike mcs repair, Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hawgdrvr;784979]I will have the opportunity to try each, actually 3. I have FX3 training in Jan so I'll experience the Acme Pro's on that plane. As of now I've changed my mind and do not feel comfortable going with Acme's for multiple reasons. I don't think the design is sturdy enough, the history of failures, and the email exchanges I've had with the company inquiring about the FX3 accidents. This morning I googled "acme aero shock failures" and found another incident resulting in $55K in damage to the plane. I don't have all of the details but you can read the thread:

https://bit.ly/2GTt5wA

I've been pleased in my communications with Tony regarding TK1's and have read and viewed many great reviews on the TK1's. I feel more comfortable with this design underneath my $330K airplane. I will order the plane with stock gear (bunjees) and have TK1's installed after delivery therefore allowing me to fly all 3 gear systems at some point in this process.

In post #72 above by Steve Pierce, the 2nd link about 3rd post from the end raises a valid point. Follow the money, those that are doing testing or pushing a product potentially have a financial gain from it. Know who the dealers are when getting recommendations.

Moral is based on what I've seen in the past few weeks and been exposed to from various people and companies, I would never feel at ease with Acme's on my plane. That is my personal feeling and what I choose is something I have to have confidence in. This could change but as of now, it's no go for Acme's for me.[/

Hawgdrvr,

It is unfair to ask a manufacturer directly about a product failure they’ve had on a customers plane.
    Talk about putting them on the spot- how to answer? Do you expect them to say, “yep our Shocks failed, buy them somewhere else”? Or, because likely there have been no witnesses, or credible ones, do you expect them to say, “yep the pilot didn’t know what he was doing and rammed the plane into a place it should never have been and something had to give”? That could be the case, but, any business person in the small aviation community, is going to be a bit careful on what they say. They may think it, but won’t say it - who wants to make their customer look bad? Even if they did screw up.
    I’m not buying your story. Not at all. I know this company and their product well. Your research doesn’t add up. You have a problem with the company and you haven’t even owned a set. Based on google(??). Not cool man.
    RoddyM
    Last edited by RoddyM; 10-13-2020 at 06:11 PM.
    Likes RaisedByWolves, TurboBeaver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Better yet, if you already knew the answer then why ask the question?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes RoddyM, Steve Pierce, supercrow liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner2 View Post
    I've had bungees, AOSS and Acme's all on the same plane. The OP asked about application on an FX3, my experience with these is on an EX, so very comparable. In my opinion the most noticeable improvement was going from bungees to AOSS. A very big step up. AOSS stay glued to the ground in most situations. The Acme's are better yet but the AOSS are good enough that the difference is not as great.

I would not consider ordering a new FX with bungees. You'll soon switch to one of the better systems and then be trying to sell your bungees at a big discount.

No Experience with TK1's. But I did recently put a T3 tail spring system on and that's a big, big step forward too over the Pawnee spring I had. And I'm a wheel-landing guy 99% of the time.

so what number bungees did you have and whats the empty weight of your plane, every one groups all the bungees into bungees and most dont know the difference.
    Likes RVBottomly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	49020.jpeg 
Views:	103 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	51612

Name:	49025.jpeg 
Views:	92 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	51613
    Yep, them Acme's are weak, ask Tony, he'll tell ya.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Thanks KevinJ thanked for this post
    Likes RoddyM, RaisedByWolves, tcraft128 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgdrvr View Post

In post #72 above by Steve Pierce, the 2nd link about 3rd post from the end raises a valid point. Follow the money, those that are doing testing or pushing a product potentially have a financial gain from it. Know who the dealers are when getting recommendations.
    He is actually a Cub Crafters dealer. there is a reason he recommends the Acme shocks, he believes in them. I am a dealer for Univair, Airframes/Bushwheel, Trig, Uavionix, Electronics International, JPI. I recommend the products I have good service out of both the product and customer service. I can make money on any of them but I also have my own reputation and head aches down the road to deal with if I recommend something that is not up to snuff. You have made up your mind what you want and why but I am not buying accidents from 2015 on a Highlander and the fact that one of the test pilot's happens to sell Acme stuff. If you haven't figured it out yet it is a small world here and most everybody knows one another. Usually no bullshit. I think there is some great information on here on all 4 options and all are fine and have proven themselves. Some are a nice leap in technology that is ever evolving like the extended stroke Gen4 I saw at ArkanSTOL.

As far as streamlining I see it as what ever you mission is. Certainly won't hurt anything. Piper streamlined the bungees and it helps. Acmes will be easier to streamline than TK1 for sure as are the AOSS. It's your airplane, set it up for you and your mission, if someone doesn't like it they can do theirs how they see fit.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Thanks Narwhal thanked for this post
    Likes alaskaoe, courierguy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me circle back to the beginning here in why I've asked questions along this line and another thread prior to this, I think it was about Beringer. A friend knowing I have a FX3 on order decided to research FX3 accidents and then SS accidents. There was a common thread to the FX3 accidents, gear failures but yes, it could have been pilot induced. I agree, accidents from years ago are older generation products and hopefully and certainly products have improved since. But the trend in the research drew concern and caused me to make a decision on what I should do with my FX3 hence this thread and the other learning about the landing gear options.

A few questions up, let me put this in another scenario: I'm building an experimental aircraft and I have a few choices in engines. If I learn there are 5 engine failures but in an engine that seems to be highly recommended, you bet I'm going to do research, ask questions, see what the company has to say about the incidents. Are we beyond this? Is it corrected? What was or is the corrective action?

Am I going to make a decision based on what the small community says to use and go blindly with that? Or do my homework and make my best educated decision. It's a heck of a lot of money for a repair so this decision is vital. It may not make everyone happy but we all have to choose. You may like brand X and someone else brand Y. Nothing wrong with discussing and educating in a positive friendly manner.

I've gone through a lot of time and research with the help of many here to vet the options. I made my decision, I'm hoping for the best for myself and others with these choices to avoid financially devastating situations. I also like to see when a company steps up to help when there is a problem, I didn't find much of that in this research other then replacement of failed products.

I'm used to trusting my maintenance unit and crew chief. Now that is all ME. That's scary! Decisions are critical.

By the way, I have an outstanding salesman from CubCrafters and I trust in his recommendations. I believe Acme is the best option of what CubCrafters has to offer. I wish they also offered TK1's but they don't.
    Last edited by hawgdrvr; 10-13-2020 at 06:50 PM.

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

TK1 vs. Acme Aero (SEP 2020)

2 thoughts.

When you ground loop that new plane at 10 hours or flip it it wonít really matter all this research you did.... happens allot with new guys. (Happens with experienced guys to, nothing like repairing a 10 hour old rebuild because of pilot error) Buy good insurance... can you actually get full value insurance??? I had heard max of 250k$ on experimental???

Fairing the Tks was discussed previously by dan default, didnít work well. Not sure if he ever got it figured out??

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    I asked you for the evidence on all these supposed gear failures, I got crickets. Then you link a 2015 thread on a Highlander accident. Sorry but I will look at evidence via Google but I will also do some real world research as you started doing here. Lots of people here running all of the shocks and I haven't heard anyone say one is defective. People tear $hit up, happens a lot. Some take responsibility, some blame. Seen it to much. I will go out and bang on any four of the systems that have been discussed here without even thinking about it. Actually I have no that I think about it. Here is a recent FX3 gear failure with AOSS. Blame the AOSS, nope, I saw the skid marks.

Name:	95273400_10216729853705486_8721430092418383872_n.jpg 
Views:	598 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	51614

Name:	IMG_20200602_162706.jpg 
Views:	574 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	51615

Here is a Super Cub gear failure blamed by the ferry pilot and ferry company owner on the AOSS.

Name:	IMG_6793.jpg 
Views:	570 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	51616

Name:	IMG_8134.JPEG 
Views:	567 
Size:	360.9 KB 
ID:	51617

Metallurgy report here doesn't jive with the story the ferry service owner tells. https://dms.ntsb.gov/pubdms/search/d...59&mkey=100693

I guess I have been around this to long but you haven't convinced me through your research that there is a defective gear/shock system being produced and sold today out of the 4 options. Your airplane and your choice. I just don't buy it myself.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Thanks mike mcs repair thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, go fly an SS and you will figure out why they flip over, really, really light on the tail.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder why so few new guys ask questions here? Or old guys, for that matter.

Post Thanks / Like
    I came out of the Hog too. I did not fly for ten years after the airlines. Owning my own plane is a huge deal. You can't just walk around and fly. I had no tailwheel time. I started with a Pa-18 and now fly a 180. You say you have a mechanical background. I have rebuilt two airplanes. I spent 8 hours in the past two days rewiring my 180 for new fuel sensors. Also fixed a prop leak. I have enjoyed it immensely. I have met a bunchload of friends. Steve will never steer you wrong. Just go with the flow.
    Let me circle back to the beginning here in why I've asked questions along this line and another thread prior to this, I think it was about Beringer. A friend knowing I have a FX3 on order decided to research FX3 accidents and then SS accidents. There was a common thread to the FX3 accidents, gear failures but yes, it could have been pilot induced. I agree, accidents from years ago are older generation products and hopefully and certainly products have improved since. But the trend in the research drew concern and caused me to make a decision on what I should do with my FX3 hence this thread and the other learning about the landing gear options.

A few questions up, let me put this in another scenario: I'm building an experimental aircraft and I have a few choices in engines. If I learn there are 5 engine failures but in an engine that seems to be highly recommended, you bet I'm going to do research, ask questions, see what the company has to say about the incidents. Are we beyond this? Is it corrected? What was or is the corrective action?

Am I going to make a decision based on what the small community says to use and go blindly with that? Or do my homework and make my best educated decision. It's a heck of a lot of money for a repair so this decision is vital. It may not make everyone happy but we all have to choose. You may like brand X and someone else brand Y. Nothing wrong with discussing and educating in a positive friendly manner.

I've gone through a lot of time and research with the help of many here to vet the options. I made my decision, I'm hoping for the best for myself and others with these choices to avoid financially devastating situations. I also like to see when a company steps up to help when there is a problem, I didn't find much of that in this research other then replacement of failed products.

I'm used to trusting my maintenance unit and crew chief. Now that is all ME. That's scary! Decisions are critical.

By the way, I have an outstanding salesman from CubCrafters and I trust in his recommendations. I believe Acme is the best option of what CubCrafters has to offer. I wish they also offered TK1's but they don't.
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God!"
    Likes Steve Pierce, Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    I wonder why so few new guys ask questions here? Or old guys, for that matter.
    Do you feel like we are picking on people Stewart?

I often wonder why people state things as fact and then when asked for the evidence to back it up other than just because they say we get crickets.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes Eddie Foy, skukum12, skywagon8a, 40m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, I mentioned earlier in this thread it wasn't my info to share. Sure, I can go grab pictures but you've seen them. The story is all the same "the pilot stalled it X feet up". Wouldn't it be nice if the gear was strong enough for this plane to bounce off these huge balloon tires instead of pancaking? No, carrier landings are not approved. Yes, a lot of people with low time transition to these, things happen. My salesman offered me a FX3 that went back to Yakima as the ferry pilot ground looped it during delivery. Yes, I'm terrified of ground looping too. I had an outstanding instructor in NC that I went to for training. As a former instructor and evaluator myself I know what good training is and this guy did a great job. Highly recommended at South Oaks Aerodrome.

There is no need for attacking anyone. If you can't be kind especially in current times where everyone is so brutal then just don't post. I came here because I'm new to this type of flying and I have to make choices for my first aircraft purchase. I've been accused of over analyzing, so be it, I'll do my homework until I feel happy with my decision. I am VERY happy with my decision to go with TK1's and can't wait to buy them from Tony. I'd buy them today but I have 8 more months to endure in this waiting game.

Eddie, RVing really got me into the mod and fixing myself, as they say in the land of RV's (motorhomes) that if you can't fix it yourself you'll go broke trying. It's been a great experience and I hope to have the same joy with the plane. We'll see how things go. Community is a big part of this as was flying radio controlled planes growing up. Or going to the airport to hang out which was fun back in the 80's, these days airports are ghost towns. I didn't realize shocks were such a cult.

I'll say this again, thanks for those that offered support and information to help me better understand this situation of these accidents and parts involved. I have no second thoughts, my decision is made, I'm happy with it. I know to be extremely careful with landing any tailwheel airplane much less on pavement. I have great respect for how fast this can get out of control. I did get the opportunity to feel the start of a ground loop where my instructor took over, it was good to feel and see what that looks like. Great respect for this type of flying.

Thank you
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a stupid question. How come there are far more CubCrafters accidents vs pipers or other exp cub type airplanes? Seems to me that the people who can afford them donít for what ever reason get the dual they need.

Thanks RVBottomly, 40m thanked for this post
    Likes BTV, supercrow, TurboBeaver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I asked you for the evidence on all these supposed gear failures, I got crickets. Then you link a 2015 thread on a Highlander accident. Sorry but I will look at evidence via Google but I will also do some real world research as you started doing here. Lots of people here running all of the shocks and I haven't heard anyone say one is defective. People tear $hit up, happens a lot. Some take responsibility, some blame. Seen it to much. I will go out and bang on any four of the systems that have been discussed here without even thinking about it. Actually I have no that I think about it. Here is a recent FX3 gear failure with AOSS. Blame the AOSS, nope, I saw the skid marks.

Here is a Super Cub gear failure blamed by the ferry pilot and ferry company owner on the AOSS.

Metallurgy report here doesn't jive with the story the ferry service owner tells. https://dms.ntsb.gov/pubdms/search/d...59&mkey=100693

I guess I have been around this to long but you haven't convinced me through your research that there is a defective gear/shock system being produced and sold today out of the 4 options. Your airplane and your choice. I just don't buy it myself.
    Wow amazing destruction caused by the PILOT!!(passenger might be better description?)

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I start wondering when you tell me about weak gear and all these issues when I work on these things for a living and fly them for fun. I see accidents and like someone posted they are like Bonanza's and Cirrus. You can build a helluva a gear but then they will bust a fuselage or something else. You have gotten some great feedback from some great pilots with a lot of experience a lot of whom I have gotten to fly with. I am sorry you took my comments as a personal attack. It was me trying to relay to you that my experience differs drastically from your research. I say it a lot, you can break an anvil. I am still looking for the defects. If you ask me about issues with said aircraft I could give you several examples, one of which I cussed and repaired today but I am still not seeing these gear issues.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Thanks mike mcs repair thanked for this post
    Likes mike mcs repair, sjohnson, skywagon8a liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am middle aged, and don't have a problem asking questions here. Better be thought a special ed pilot/owner than go out and prove it. Besides, I find there are generally at least a few guys here that don't know the same things I don't know.

Listen to what these names have to say, in no particular order: Steve Pierce, mcs Mike, MTV, Gordon Mische, Denny, Raised by Wolves. Several others I cannot recall right now.
    Last edited by skukum12; 10-13-2020 at 07:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tempdoug View Post
    so what number bungees did you have and whats the empty weight of your plane, every one groups all the bungees into bungees and most dont know the difference.
    Good question but Iím not sure I remember. 1080s maybe?

My empty Weight at that time on 31s was about 990. Iím a little heavier now with a pod and a couple other changes. 1015 or so.

I also had bungees on my previous -18.

Landing numbers are probably about equal Between bungees and AOSS with a couple thousand in each type. Acmes went on this spring so a lot fewer.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp

Post Thanks / Like
    When you think you are the best pilot in the world like I am but you have no tailwheel time. Boy will you be humbled. Keep it going straight and you will be good. Stood my Cub on it's nose but have never groundlooped. If 180s don't count and you didn't break anything!

Steve, I mentioned earlier in this thread it wasn't my info to share. Sure, I can go grab pictures but you've seen them. The story is all the same "the pilot stalled it X feet up". Wouldn't it be nice if the gear was strong enough for this plane to bounce off these huge balloon tires instead of pancaking? No, carrier landings are not approved. Yes, a lot of people with low time transition to these, things happen. My salesman offered me a FX3 that went back to Yakima as the ferry pilot ground looped it during delivery. Yes, I'm terrified of ground looping too. I had an outstanding instructor in NC that I went to for training. As a former instructor and evaluator myself I know what good training is and this guy did a great job. Highly recommended at South Oaks Aerodrome.

There is no need for attacking anyone. If you can't be kind especially in current times where everyone is so brutal then just don't post. I came here because I'm new to this type of flying and I have to make choices for my first aircraft purchase. I've been accused of over analyzing, so be it, I'll do my homework until I feel happy with my decision. I am VERY happy with my decision to go with TK1's and can't wait to buy them from Tony. I'd buy them today but I have 8 more months to endure in this waiting game.

Eddie, RVing really got me into the mod and fixing myself, as they say in the land of RV's (motorhomes) that if you can't fix it yourself you'll go broke trying. It's been a great experience and I hope to have the same joy with the plane. We'll see how things go. Community is a big part of this as was flying radio controlled planes growing up. Or going to the airport to hang out which was fun back in the 80's, these days airports are ghost towns. I didn't realize shocks were such a cult.

I'll say this again, thanks for those that offered support and information to help me better understand this situation of these accidents and parts involved. I have no second thoughts, my decision is made, I'm happy with it. I know to be extremely careful with landing any tailwheel airplane much less on pavement. I have great respect for how fast this can get out of control. I did get the opportunity to feel the start of a ground loop where my instructor took over, it was good to feel and see what that looks like. Great respect for this type of flying.

Thank you
    Likes hawgdrvr, Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

TK1 vs. Acme Aero (SEP 2020)

I canít think of seeing a cabane v destroyed like that from side load like that. Usually it rips the ears off the gear fittings... that was some wild side loading leading up to that one!!!! Definitely pilot error!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair View Post
    I can’t think of seeing a cabane v destroyed like that from side load like that. Usually it rips the ears off the gear fittings... that was some wild side loading leading up to that one!!!! Definitely pilot error!!!

The owner of the ferry company interupted me 3 times after I listene to her story and tried to explain to her what I saw. I finally hung up on her. She blocked me on FB when I sent her the metalurgy report and then texted me not long ago wanting to call me with a rigging question when she got her own Cub flying. I am slowly becoming one of those grumpy old mechanics I learned so much from years ago.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm out'a the shop for ONE afternoon. Look what I missed!

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.
    Likes RaisedByWolves, C130jake liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hawgdrvr, remember it’s just an airplane. Don’t be intimidated by the tail wheel/ground loop stories. I learned in a tailwheel (as did everyone at one time). Respect it, get real instruction from a competent tailwheel instructor, know your limits, fly it from the time you untie it till it’s tied back down. I seriously doubt you’ll stall it from 10 feet or higher. And just for the record, everything I say is just my opinion. As I’ve said on other threads recently, everyone has something to offer (good or bad). Just scroll past what doesn’t work for you. I look forward to hearing how things go for you..... and oh ya, thread drift happens! It’s just like a conversation. Scrolling works for that too!
    Likes hawgdrvr liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The owner of the ferry company interupted me 3 times after I listene to her story and tried to explain to her what I saw. I finally hung up on her. She blocked me on FB when I sent her the metalurgy report and then texted me not long ago wanting to call me with a rigging question when she got her own Cub flying. I am slowly becoming one of those grumpy old mechanics I learned so much from years ago.
    My favorite Steve pierceism
    ďAskholeĒ

Likes KevinJ, Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What took you so long!

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a tangent but regarding asking questions....

This forum is the nicest and most informed and experienced group Iíve ever found.

If you post a question or problem, the questions asked are directly related to diagnosing the problem, or providing the best answer.

Other forums, or FB, is full of people replying to hear themselves talk. Unrelated, or ďthis different issue happened to me so Iím sure itís your problem tooĒ. Just stupid responses.

Similar to some GA Forums, I see conflict arisen when a question is posted in the form of ďI think this is better, because the FB propaganda told me soĒ. Itís as if they are asking a question to justify their position or viewpoint. Pretty much like politics at that point.

Case in point. Person knew enough to come look at the SuperCub.Org forum for answers to their question. Yet Finding multiple threads related to the topic, they went to Facebook and posted the question, in multiple forums. As if most pilots following the taildraggers page isnít also following the big tires Stol page. And a million people gave answers, misinformation, unrelated spam, and just essentially confused anyone looking for good honest info. When I asked why they didnít simply ask the question here they said ďthe threads where oldĒ. Lol. I disagree. I donít believe they wanted answer. They wanted justification for their choice.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org
    Likes jrussl, jprax, 40m, Brandsman, C130jake liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    My favorite Steve pierceism
    “Askhole”

Followed by MASShole
    Likes RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I just want to say thank you to Pierce and others for being quick to share real world experience on this forum with those who want to know. Stick around here long enough and its easy to recognize who can most often back up an opinion with data and first hand experience.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands. Psalms 19:1
    Thanks Steve Pierce thanked for this post
    Likes AkPA/18 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Benerger gear would be the best if you plan to do a high altitude stall. Go look at the 2019 Valdez video. As far as accidents I don't think the Cub Crafters planes have any huge market share.
    DENNY
    Likes 40m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! This has been a good one! I learned to fly in an Aeronca Chief nearly 50 yrs. ago. I didn't know the difference in handling until I flew the Cherokee the first time and drug the tail skid. I soloed the Chief in 8 hrs. and have been at it ever since. Champs, Chiefs, T-Crafts,J-3's, Smith Mini, 180, 140, bird dog, etc, etc.. If a person is truly terrified of ground looping, they should probably just stay in the trikes because the fear will hinder their learning in my opinion. However, in regards to the question, My exp. s.cub is worth something north of $100 thousand. I don't have money: It has taken me 25 yrs to get this much money into it. I don't carry insurance, and if I ding it I am out that's all. I use the TK-1s and like them but would have no qualms whatever in putting any of the mentioned suspensions on my buggy and flying the hell out of it. I can drive a Ford or a Chevy or a Dodge. I don't care as long as it doesn't dollar me to death. I believe these are all great suspensions. Take your pick and have fun with it. These discussions are great, but I think the brand specific mind set is out of line as far as safety in your cub goes. It all about the stick and rudder, and very good pilots who think they can just get into one of these ships and fly away are getting surprised regularly. My opinion agrees with others that these are pilot error incidents.
    Likes Farmboy, 40m, RVBottomly, JeffP, Brandsman and 1 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Best demonstration of how to handle a tail dragger I've ever heard: go to your grocery store, load up a cart with canned items or beer, turn it around backwards, fixed wheels in front, swivel wheels behind. Push it fast as possible down an empty aisle and note the lack of automatic straight ahead line tracking UNLESS you keep it going straight within a certain range by numerous small control movements. Compare this action to a normally loaded cart pushed in the normal fashion, that right there is why grocery carts aren't tail draggers. I still practice this in a tight situation, crowded aisles/people in the way, sometimes flipping the cart around backwards gives me more maneuverability, little do the other shoppers realize it is an aviation principle being demonstrated right in front of them, all they see is some yahoo who doesn't know which way the cart is supposed to go. I'm still working on why the Lowes lumber carts are so damned unstable.

Post Thanks / Like
    so when you pros watch all these landings, what air pressure are they running,is it right or is it off and havent leaked, bungees-what bungees are they running, if not worn out or the wrong ones, hydrosorbs do eventally loose there shock ability also, seems to me aoss would be the consistent ones. just askin? how long before the discs in those start to loose effectiveness? these air shocks if your going to drop it in more air pressure if not dropping it in not so much, how do you know what your situation will be? does 10 lbs pressure make a lot of difference in them? i would think longevity and simpleness should be a big factor also. at 3 grand plus hmmm. everyone seems to think 2 landings how about after 2000 how are they working? people with unlimited cash, are able to keep putting new on others not so much. talk down the road some also. seen bungees and hydrosorbs go for years, no i dont know the number of landings, but still working, with a fair amount of use.
    Last edited by tempdoug; 10-14-2020 at 11:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The nice thing about acmes is if the air and oil all leak out, there is still a spring inside that will get you home. They donít leak enough to be un airworthy

Likes DENNY, JeffP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, 3 pages and counting.

As a newbie to TW's and Cub's I find this site to be a group of very knowledgeable and no BS people (my kind of people). I have learned immensely from this group and they have helped with problems I have had.

And I fly Acmes up from and a T3 in the back (just a comment to keep the thread drift to a minimum).
    Likes Utah-Jay liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    ...and no BS people (my kind of people). ...
    Hang around a while longer, you will find the BS part , but largely you are right. Folks also did a pretty good job of keeping things civil in this thread, which I appreciate.

sj (still running bungees.... )
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Likes DENNY, jrussl, pfm, C130jake liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What ever system you put up front it won't be complete till you add a T3

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes 40m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    What ever system you put up front it won't be complete till you add a T3

Glenn
    I am ordering a T3 when I order the TK1's.

And I agree, with my little TW experience so my comments are meaningless, I don't see what's wrong with bungees if the airplane is landed properly (speeds, etc.). I hope to fly my first 20 hours of the EAB fly off on the bungees before installing TK1's and T3 tailwheel so I can appreciate them.