• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

TK1 vs. Acme Aero (SEP 2020)

Thanks, I see how the system works now and that you are running the tires with a camber angle perpendicular to the ground. At one point I thought y'all were changing that camber angle. Thanks for the pictures.

My gear is a little splayed out. I could shorten the tube and extend the rod end to square it up but I'd rather not. A little splay doesn't bother me. If I move toward lowering the shock pressure? Shortening the tube may come into play.

Here are two pictures of what TK1s allow you to do. I have an experimental cub on 35s that’s 1226 empty weight. I’ve had Tony’s shocks on for 800 hours and the customer service level is top notch. I change adjust pressure about 3 times a year due to changing gear to skis and also adjust for hunting season. I tend to run mine fairly stiff in fear of bottoming out a shock. They are incredible and I believe if you can keep the tail up the shocks will eat up most of the bad stuff. For takeoff I stand on the brake and the tail comes up and never touches. Let the shocks eat I say and you pull the flaps when it’s ready to go. I can’t figure out a video or I would post the one Stewart references in the first few posts showing the shocks getting a pounding. I still have slightly bent front gear bolts on tires but only a few thousandths and skis well any bolt will bend there with all that force. Love the product and you couldn’t pay me to switch. I live in rural Alaska where if I break something there isn’t a pile of folks I can call to come get me parts. I trust Tony’s product for this reason alone that’s built like a tank. I also agree with the YouTube pilots statement above and have been saying that for a long time as those experts don’t know what they are talking about most times. I’ve also had a student pull power hanging a plane on the prop 12’ up off the pavement and it started to roll. I pushed in full power and jammed the stick forward and slammed all the rudder I could and we took a huge hit. We get airborne again and I looked down and saw we still had a gear leg barely. Came back and set it down lightly and drug a brake hard as we were taxiing to the hangar with Tony’s shocks doing their thing.

Also for reference the picture without the hunter I was stuck on 35s. Full power and all the stick movement wouldn’t budge the plane. I had to dig out the ground with my boots and hands to build a ramp to crawl out of.

23DEFFE7-4F7E-4398-9311-5C8668B39882.jpeg7786A8A4-0528-4B9D-8A78-96FB4DF201E3.jpeg

Attachments

• 23DEFFE7-4F7E-4398-9311-5C8668B39882.jpeg
    23DEFFE7-4F7E-4398-9311-5C8668B39882.jpeg
    732.6 KB · Views: 319
  • 7786A8A4-0528-4B9D-8A78-96FB4DF201E3.jpeg
    7786A8A4-0528-4B9D-8A78-96FB4DF201E3.jpeg
    790 KB · Views: 231
I could guess more psi than yu woulda wanted?
Somewhere between 5-6 Some guys I know run closer to 8-10 with shocks but I’ve tried it and don’t like it. I feel the tire needs to take some of the hit before the shocks takes over. Granted you need a stiffer tire with shocks to help activate the shock is how I Understand Tony’s explanation. I used to have bungees and was 3-4 a lot and these shocks still put a smile on my face.

Tony told me harder tires work better with real suspension on the gear. maybe there is a drawback not having marshmallows at 3-4 psi

I've talked to a couple pilots that raised their tire pressure but dropped it back down because the harder tires didn't grip as well when braking and stopping distances were higher. They work okay on fairly level ground but on uneven ground the softer tire is better able to conform to the surface and get grip.

3-4 psi and that tire woulda rolled over the hole lip??!

ya I don’t think lower tire pressure would of helped much. Pics don’t do that hope justice but there were some good ones in that spot. Another reason why I like 35s so when I misjudged something you have a good safety margin. The really impressive thing to me is the takeoff and lift the tail and let go of the brakes and it’s incredible to see those shocks take the hits they do and you just stay center in your seat and it’s not like a car crash on bungess like I used to have every time.

I like that clip. It illustrates why gear bolts get bent. The deflection and deformation of the tires at takeoff speed is impressive.

Wow. Look at how much those wheels are working. That is a better demonstration than most of the promo videos I've seen.

That video shows a lot. People often don't realize that a cub with a working load even with some wind takes a while to get into the air. The drag from the ground roll and rough ground also slows the plane down. The beating the gear/shock/tire absorb is very impressive and keeping the tire in contact with the ground is key when it comes to control. I think Adam was cheating with a back seater lighter than most however.:lol: Great video.
DENNY

That video shows a lot. People often don't realize that a cub with a working load even with some wind takes a while to get into the air. The drag from the ground roll and rough ground also slows the plane down. The beating the gear/shock/tire absorb is very impressive and keeping the tire in contact with the ground is key when it comes to control. I think Adam was cheating with a back seater lighter than most however.:lol: Great video.
DENNY

Denny it was uphill with a 20kt quartering headwind or take the downhill. First load I took the downhill and it was okay but then the wind picked up. I’m glad people can see a real world example of what a loaded cub looks like. Folks ask me all the time it takes to get off the ground I say 120’ empty on pavement and 600-800’ with a full load of moose in the nasty stuff. Plan accordingly. Also you’re just jealous my hunting partner is cuter than yours! She is a crack shot too.

Anyone have issues with monster shocks from tk1 losing pressure during extreme temp changes, like 10 below to 40F above quickly and then one goes flat. Are there any better seals available? I dont remember ever seeing this issue with fox floats.

Anyone have issues with monster shocks from tk1 losing pressure during extreme temp changes, like 10 below to 40F above quickly and then one goes flat. Are there any better seals available? I dont remember ever seeing this issue with fox floats.
We had one lose pressure but not that cold. Called Tony and he recommended servicing with nitrogen and no other issue. I would call him and ask. Would be curious what he says as I still maintain this airplane.

We had one lose pressure but not that cold. Called Tony and he recommended servicing with nitrogen and no other issue. I would call him and ask. Would be curious what he says as I still maintain this airplane.

I would call Tony I think he has new and updated seals. I’ve had a loss of maybe 10-15 psi per side that I add some when I go from wheels to skis. I have to add more pressure for skis and winter flying but not had any issues around freezing temps. Like I said call Tony he will make it right.

I’ve flown that cub when it was based up in the willow area…it’s a well built great flying cub that did great on those tires and hydrasorb gear.
I haven’t flown anything newer than Burl’s AOSS so have no opinion except judging from the video the gear is moving a lot instead of the tires taking most of the bumps Hard to tell from a video but I think I could operate my 31s off there with no issues and I’m still on hydrasorb+31s+3”FAD gear.
I would love to try it out for a few weeks in the winter here in MT.

I have had them on mine for two winters and some pretty rough ski flying. No problems yet and it really takes a lot of the beating away from the airframe. You look out and see the gear thrashing pretty hard and don't feel it in the airplane. I think any of the newer systems are easier on the fuselage than bungees and hydrasorbs, but they are pricey. I haven't been sorry I bought them.

TK-1 doesn’t use a floating piston to separate oil from nitrogen. I’d think a seal leak would also leak a little oil so it should be easy to identify. Anyone who’s charged a shock has had that slimy oil on their hands. By the fourth shock you can barely hold on to anything. Very different from other gas shocks I’ve worked on.

In my experience with TK-1, Tony’s customer service is as impressive as his shocks.

Last edited:
Back