• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Getting back to AK - early Nov coastal run?

JohnnyR

SPONSOR
AK, ME - what time of year is it?
Need to get the 180 back up to Lake Hood from lower 48.
Any thoughts on viability of coastal route in early Nov to bypass Canada border crossing/COVID travel bans?
Or, am I whistling Dixie and shouldn’t even consider it?
Seems like the winds should be more southwesterly than in the summer.
Will be on wheels.

It’s Alaska so it’s a definite maybe with the weather.
November can bring some big weather events to SE. You may be able to put a couple nice days together though.
The problem is even if you can file ifr, november can bring some good ice. The MEAs on those routes are pretty high and a 180 can’t haul enough ice to chill a highball.
Magic 8 ball says outlook not so good......sorry.

Last edited:
Jim Webster (who sadly crashed in May) would make the Fairbanks>Ketchikan>Seattle trip that time of year in his C-185 with 88 gal wings. He said it took 24-36 hrs of VFR plus no ice or strong headwinds at altitude. Some years it took lots of waiting and even then never worked out as well as going through Canada. When asked about his fuel reserves....he'd say "enough".

Gary

Aren't you allowed through Canada if you have an Alaska address? Or is it Alaska citizenship?

November is when most of us want to leave Alaska. And in a perfect world not return until late February!

Yes - that’s the issue. I won’t have my Alaska residency until this upcoming trip, although I have read that if you bring all your property docs, etc., there is a better chance of being allowed through Canada. I guess I will have to try at border and plead with them to not make me fly up the coast.

Aren't you allowed through Canada if you have an Alaska address? Or is it Alaska citizenship?

November is when most of us want to leave Alaska. And in a perfect world not return until late February!

Back