Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Widebody Super Cub Project

Post Thanks / Like
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    mrunia

there is another system you have not listed. Airtec. It is a urethane paint and the system was originally designed for crop dusters so it is quite durable. Very high gloss. Acetone based so much less toxic than the MEK based systems. Only two steps. Primer which sands very nicely, wet. And the topcoat. I’ve tried several systems and I like it. Just my opinion but you might at least consider it.

Hope this helps

Bill
    Very Blessed.
    Thanks mrunia, AKlindy thanked for this post
    Likes Mattpeed liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Polyfiber, Stits, or one of the "normal" traditional coverings definitely hold up the best at least if parked outside and are the most cost conscious. A good friend who had done quite a few covering jobs with both Polyfiber and Oratex found that the Oratex is very difficult to work with, especially gluing the tapes down. Plus Oratex is at least double the cost of any other system in materials alone.

No Stewarts system, not ever. I know some will disagree and to that I'll send you pictures and video of popping big water "blisters" on the wings of my brother's Tcrate. This is a fairly common occurrence and they always blame the person doing the covering job for not doing it right but it's still a common problem. Common enough that I'd stay away. I swear that poor crate has probably another 10lbs of water under the paint every time it gets parked. Preflight consists of going around draining paint blisters like popping zits.
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash, Jr. View Post

No Stewarts system, not ever. I know some will disagree and to that I'll send you pictures and video of popping big water "blisters" on the wings of my brother's Tcrate. This is a fairly common occurrence and they always blame the person doing the covering job for not doing it right but it's still a common problem. Common enough that I'd stay away. I swear that poor crate has probably another 10lbs of water under the paint every time it gets parked. Preflight consists of going around draining paint blisters like popping zits.
    Not with the original procedure of sealing the fabric, which is what they went back to.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought the primer/UV inhibitor was supposed to seal the fabric? So it takes a whole extra step to paint with Stewarts? I'll pass.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought the primer/UV inhibitor was supposed to seal the fabric? So it takes a whole extra step to paint with Stewarts? I'll pass.
    You really should take another look at it. It is a very easy system to apply.
    N1PA
    Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    A whole extra step? It's the same amount of steps as Polyfiber, in fact less steps than Polyfiber for what that's worth. Seal the weave with the diluted cement like we did from day one and everything is fine. They were trying to eliminate that step and just seal with the Ekofill, and there have been problems with that in certain climates. Of the thousands of jobs done with it, a few have had issues, and not fun issues at all. That's why it's back to sealing with the cement.
    John
    Likes BC12D-4-85 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

its EASY. takes an extra 2 minutes. sit at the kitchen table and do tailfeathers.
    Likes Gordon Misch liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rusk View Post
    mrunia

there is another system you have not listed. Airtec. It is a urethane paint and the system was originally designed for crop dusters so it is quite durable. Very high gloss. Acetone based so much less toxic than the MEK based systems. Only two steps. Primer which sands very nicely, wet. And the topcoat. I’ve tried several systems and I like it. Just my opinion but you might at least consider it.

Hope this helps

Bill

Thanks Bill, I will add Airtec to the list. Also like to thank you for the forum about building javron wings, I'll be following that when I build mine. I've seen your videos from float flying Alaska, inspirational!
    Thanks Bill Rusk thanked for this post