• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Carbon Cub Tip Bow on Standard Wing???

Grant

FRIEND
At Work.....
I wondering if anyone has done this or if it could be done. Just curious if it will fit.

The original Ash bow is probably best, if you can avoid drilling holes through it at those brackets. It has resilience, and can survive serious crosswinds and hangar rash.

Different shape, have you piced them from Cub Crafters? Curious how much they want for them?

Nope - I have not priced them. Mostly I wanted to find a more elegant way to mount the Nav/Strobe light to the wing. I think it can be done with the standard tip bow using this as an example....

Marty57.png

I wonder how the fabric lays down around this.... Nothing wrong with the OEM light just tryiong to think outside the box a little...

Attachments

• Marty57.png
    Marty57.png
    788.1 KB · Views: 168
Tony did that on his L21.
It was very time consuming, with all the gluing, carving and sanding, but I like the results. Chris had to talk to the fabric a bit to get it to lay down right. It looks good.

I used the Whelen Orion light. I think the big hole the stock Grimes light needs would compromise the bow strength too much.

Last edited:
CC is pretty proud of their hardware, I priced a set of "gills" from an EX3 cowl for use on a Pitts. $700 each!
I think they try to discourage sale of proprietary parts to non CC owners.

If you just want a reasonably good looking Grimes mount (works with the old Whelen tube flashers) just put the Super Cub streamline fittings on before cover. Use care to get a good glue line at the flange, because you cannot wrap the fabric inside. A little JB Weld helps to make it look finished. No holes in the bow.

I'll try to remember to get a photo.

Here is my idea - older one was done in 1972, and is starting to look a bit tired. Newer one was done last year - strobe power supply is inside the wing! Not sure that was a good idea - we shall see.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 95
Back