• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tach is off, who can recalibrate?

And all my tach times - all three aircraft - are airframe time. The J4 (fourth aircraft) has a "Hobbs" style counter, since the AC Tach did not fit.
What powers your "Hobbs", oil pressure? That will record more hours than a tach which counts rpms.

No - master switch. We deduct 25%, because almost all flights are .5, and involve 12 minutes of taxi.

Sad, because I went to all the expense of replacing that Mack Truck tach, only to find that I had no space, not even for a 90 degree drive! Win some, lose some.

If your airport still has mercury vapor lights, point the airplane at the light with the engine running and you sitting in the cockpit. Adjust the throttle until the prop blades appear to be stopped. The rpm will be a multiple of 60. So at 600, 1200, 1800, 2400 etc the prop will appear to be stopped. Compare this with the tach.

I've only tried this with the Merc vapor lights. Any 60hz light should work.

I like that. I have a habit of noting the musical pitch of sounds. Two blades at 2400 rpm is a slightly sharp low E in pitch. Think of the lowest string on a guitar, for instance.

If you are really obsessed (like me), you can use a pitch pipe or fork and count beats to fine tune the calculation....

Think about other items we sign off after removal for maintenance. For instance, I sign off items that have been welded by others, as I'm not a welder. I didn't perform the work and I may not have witnessed it but it's legal for me to inspect it and determine that it's safe to install. I sign off the reinstallation of items like these automotive tachs as I can check them for proper operation without using complex or special test equipment.

I have no problem if you don't want to sign them off, just explaining why I do it.

Web

Big difference between signing off a weld and an instrument repair. Look at the regs.

It seems from reading CAR 4 and later 3 that the only instrument that requires limits of accuracy is the airspeed indicator and compass. The rest if required can be accurate or inaccurate to an unspecified degree. Is that true as I might have misread or didn't find a source. If so....what's the big concern about who's checking and maybe improving accuracy if it's poor?

Gary

It seems from reading CAR 4 and later 3 that the only instrument that requires limits of accuracy is the airspeed indicator and compass. The rest if required can be accurate or inaccurate to an unspecified degree. Is that true as I might have misread or didn't find a source. If so....what's the big concern about who's checking and maybe improving accuracy if it's poor?

Gary
Be careful now! Your comments are bordering on common sense. The feds aren't going to have any of that LOL!

Big difference between signing off a weld and an instrument repair. Look at the regs.

What's the difference whether I remove the tach for repair at an automotive shop and reinstall it or go pull one off the shelf/out of a panel for installation? I'm signing that I have checked the unit for proper and safe operation.

The paragraph you cited from Part 65.81 just says I can't perform an instrument repair. If a fed questions me about my tach repair sign off, I will point out that the repair was done at a shop equipped to do those repairs and that I signed off that I checked the tach for safe and proper operation. There are no repair stations that I'm aware of that still work on these (just like the oil pressure, oil temp, and ammeter cluster in Cessnas). The failure of a mechanical tach is not a safety of flight issue. Checking for correct operation of a tach requires no specialized or non standard equipment.

So how is this any different than signing off a repair weld that I or a non A&P welder didn't perform? What reg?

Web

How many of you have had a tachometer recalibrated by a local shop? I’ve replaced a couple of tachs because I was told they couldn’t be repaired. From a practical standpoint I’m happier to replace and fly than remove and wait. The last tach I replaced cost under $300 with range markings and hours set. How much does recalibration cost?

The most accurate tachs are still the electronic types. They use pulses read from the p-leads to calculate rpm so no mechanical parts.

Web

The tach in my 170 took a dump. I sent it in, and had it overhauled. Came back, read 75 rpm off. So, I ordered a new one. Read 100 off right out of the box. Cert. standard says 100 off is within acceptable standards.

Not to me. So, I returned the new one, bought a Horizon electronic tach and never looked back.

Ever wonder why similar airplanes cruise at different speeds and fuel flows but at same power settings? Look no farther than those mechanical tach.

MTV

Like a compass, a tach may not read exactly accurately but with a TruTack or other optical tach checker the deviation is really easy to establish and the instrument is useful and reliable.

The owner could if he wished using his electronic tach checker remark the glass of the instrument for his own benefit. Then knowing then what the numbers mean, keep on trucking.

Like a compass, a tach may not read exactly accurately but with a TruTack or other optical tach checker the deviation is really easy to establish and the instrument is useful and reliable.
Which is why I posted what I did.

Mike do you have a link for that "standard" for mechanical tachs? There's a TSO for electric tachs but I can't find anything else. Just curious.

Gary

Gary,

That was told to me by the instrument overhauler that overhauled my old tach, when I called to whine..... They didn't give me a cite from the regs, I just figured since they're instrument overhaulers, they'd know.

MTV

Not an FAA reg but... https://www.aircraftsystemstech.com/2019/01/aircraft-instrument-systems-maintenance.html
"Tachometer indicators should be checked for loose glass, chipped scale markings, or loose pointers. The difference in indications between readings taken before and after lightly tapping the instrument should not exceed approximately 15 rpm."

This unverified from Canada DOT:
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/inaccurate-tach-grounded.26193/
"[FONT=&quot]8. [/FONT]Tachometers The accuracy of mechanical drag cup type tachometers, for fixed wing propeller driven aircraft, shall be checked on site annually, and be accurate to within the tolerances established by the aircraft manufacturer or, where no tolerance has been specified by the aircraft manufacturer, to within +\- 4% of engine RPM at mid-point of the cruise range."

4% of 2400 rpm is 96 rpm. So the number Mike got of 100 rpm sounds reasonable.

How many of you have had a tachometer recalibrated by a local shop? I’ve replaced a couple of tachs because I was told they couldn’t be repaired. From a practical standpoint I’m happier to replace and fly than remove and wait. The last tach I replaced cost under $300 with range markings and hours set. How much does recalibration cost?

No local shops. https://www.centuryinstruments.net/ overhauled mine for $150, took about 10 days. I've been using them since the late 80's for instrument repair. http://keystoneinstruments.com/ will o/h them as well, never used them for tach repair though.

I have had maybe five done by speedometer shops. They even made new cables and sheaths. Of course I would never use such instruments on a certificated Cub. They even give me an accuracy sheet at sbout six different rpms.

Back