• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Increasing Fuel...

I've been flying with different aux. fuel tanks for over 20 years in two different Rans S-7s. All are designed to come out quickly as I only burn mogas and need a way to go get it. I didn't plumb either up into a wing tank because I already had a line handy, coming out of the bottom of my header tank and a few inches away, headed forward thru the fire wall. Not wanting to run any additional line and keeping the fittings to a minimum was my reasoning. So, I teed into that main feed line, and then installed a shutoff valve I can reach in flight. When my aux tank (bladder actually) is onboard, it's plugged in via a quick disconnect fitting that stops any flow when disconnected. The valve is a backup to that, and in theory not needed. A panel mounted switch starts the Facet pump, and a green idiot light reminds me it's pumping. IF I ignore the light or get distracted looking out the window, and the aux tank empties, the Rotax will let me know in no uncertain terms that it's time to shut the transfer pump off. The thing is.....and I have verified this several times, both as a test and thru carelessness, the split second I turn the pump off, the engine instantly resumes 100% normal operation. So though I agree with the way Mike says to do it, I'm not going to run an additional few feet of fuel line, (3 or 4') one reason being I have NEVER chosen to transfer fuel when down low, I have other ways to get my thrills. The pilot who had the big problem with his system, either didn't shut the pump off, to instantly resume normal ops, or there is something different about the Lycoming fuel feed delivery, and the resultant air bubbles were somehow trapped? But yeah, plumb it higher up into the system and it is a non issue. And I don't care how it's plumbed, probably best to only mess with it with a little altitude.

I have the Atlee Dodge tanks in my PA-18, 61 total gallons, giving me a flying range well beyond my bladder range ��. I usually fly with half tanks.

Back