Thread: PA-11 Fuel Tanks

Post Thanks / Like

PA-11 Fuel Tanks

I just acquired a PA-11 project that currently only has a tank in one wing I have been looking for options to install a second tank and see only 2 STC options for now, the first being the Wag Aero 11 ˝ Gallon tank and the second the full blown PA-18 fuel system. Is there anyone out there that has experience with these?
    Any other recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you NEED more fuel? The 11 is a great plane when kept light.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've owned a Pa11/18-95 type for over 26 years. I sometimes thought I wanted a bigger fuel supply, but 3000 hrs later the single tank 3 hrs flying time works just fine. I throw a couple 2.5 cans in the back when traveling

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes barrow pilot liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the standard left tank and an old Stoddard 9 gallon on the right. Rarely use the Stoddard (mine has a small leak). Much, much easier to simply toss a fuel bag or two in the back seat and strap them in. Good to stop every couple hours in any event nowadays. I flight plan on 3 at 5 gph on average, with 2.5 to fuel being a goal with .5 reserve. The Alaskan fuel bags (purchased at NH years back) easily carry 5.5 gal apiece and strap right in the seat or baggage. Just lay one on the wing, open the valeve and presto fuel.
    JP Russell--The Cub Therapist
    1947 PA-11 Cub Special
    www.bloomerrussellbeaupain.com

Post Thanks / Like
    There is an outfit that sells an 11 gallon tank for the right wing. I’ll try to find the name. Out west, it’s a little farther between gas stops. I put one in my 11 and never looke back.

Ive heard some horror stories about the Wag tanks.

MTV
    Thanks RVBottomly thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Like others I would advocate keeping it light and living with the original one tank. I have one Alaska fuel bag and have needed it only twice in five years, but I do live in the Northeast. I'm happier with a light airplane and don't mind an extra stop. The empty weight on our PA-11 is 775 pounds and endurance with full fuel is 3.6 hours with the C90-8F installed

I guess it just depends on where you're flying and what you use the airplane for.
    Likes JP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive got 2 18 gal tanks. Pa18 system. I agree it depends on mission. Between eastern mt and western sd i can cover a lot of country. Ive got almost 7 hours full fuel. That means i can fly 3 hrs to a camping spot, then 3 hours home and have lots of reserve and not having to hunt for or pack gas. My performance doesnt suffer that much. In fall, say a 300' take off goes up to 500' loaded. I dont need a helicopter. On a hot summer day maybe 800'. C90-8. Thats at 3400' elev. So for me the gas capacity out weighs the performance reduction. You dont have to fly full of gas all the time. And it is nice when you want a full 18 gals to ballast the weight ie..9 gal a side. The numbers are a guess but i mow a 660' runway and havnt over run it yet.
    "There are 3 kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, ill add one other benifit to the extra tank, your not using your much needed cabin space for extra gas!
    "There are 3 kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Biplanes Inc is the outfit that made the 11 gallon tank I referred to. Couldn’t find them, but I see Aircraft Spruce now has an 11 gallon tank with STC, maybe they bought it.

Nice compared to 18 gallon tank for two reasons: mainly, it fits between ribs, so no major surgery to install. And 11 more gallons is plenty, so it’s a little less weight than an 18 gallon tank.

I have to laugh when guys talk loud about “keep it light” then proceed to say carry a few gas bags in the cockpit. I guess gas in the cabin has no weight......

Come out west, and you’ll wish you had that extra gas, AND some cabin space for camp gear. And no gas in cabin.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Any idea how much weight the 11 gallon tank adds?

Post Thanks / Like
    More than a few times I appreciated two large wing tanks in my former PA-11. Especially on floats and extra especially when headwinds and turbulence reduced groundspeed. With a flat 74/40 prop cruise is freeway speed but fuel burn lower. Never got around to figuring miles per gallon.

Gary
    Likes alaskadrifter liked this post