Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Beringer ALG vs. Acme Aero for FX3

Post Thanks / Like
    My Backcountry has provisions for Cub gear, Porter-style gear, and spring gear. I know planes with the Cub and Porter options. I've never seen one that used spring gear. There's nothing wrong with spring gear but for my Cub? Cub gear works better. https://www.groveaircraft.com/landing_gear.html
    Likes mam90 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol, I forgot all about that old thread Steve.
    And even though I run Cub gear, I do like the looks of Cessna gear legs on a Cub.
    However I am certainly in your camp on
    trying to mod yourself into being a "real pilot"
    Far as I know the best of the best, do amazing things with "stock Cubs".
    Keep em straight
    E

Sent from my moto e5 go using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Thanks Steve Pierce thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What a bizarre thread

I'm not sure where anyone suggested CC birds were substandard? every example I have been around seemed to score high on performance as well as fit and finish? Maybe out of my budget, but that certainly doesn't negate their craft.

I also don't see where anyone suggested new technology and innovative components were not superior to old 'legacy components' (I take those terms to mean 'time tested standards' BTW) Technology is Good, and Innovation is Great! Legacy? Legacy stood the test of time.

The OP started as a good question. Where it went amok as I see it, is where it suggested that somehow a catastrophic gear failure would be better remedied by improving the gear than the technique. Furthermore it suggested that improving the gear would minimize the repair expense when the inevitable wreck occurs (I say inevitable because at this point we can extrapolate that the OP has elected to spend money on gear vs experience).

points to offer;

Legacy... you say it such that I can almost taste the disdain....

Shame... I watch farms get liquidated because the heirs have no idea of the value they carry.... Legacy....

Legacy gear? please reevaluate Beringer, Acme, Porter, or any other gear fixable to a cub, and then report back. there is nothing *new* here... Shiv... they don't even make the Porter anymore They're ALL legacy, and done well they're all good! Match the gear type to the mission, and you will be miles ahead of matching the gear type to what the 'Jones's' are doing.

CHEAPER IN A WRECK?!? WTF

Are you really trying to convince me you're going to select the cheapest gear to crash with in a $300K cub?

First of all.... we will dismiss the fact that a little avgas well spent would have removed the accident sequence.

My stumbling block is the suggestion that legacy gear has a tendency to catastrophically fail, leading to a prop strike that wouldn't occur if you had better gear.

Based on what? OK let's give you the idea that the legacy gear just fell apart... and the *good gear* didn't. What precipitated this event? A ground loop? OK the *good* gear didn't pancake... what happens next?

Oh oh..., pick me.... the cub with xxyyz gear goes further sideways, till the wheels chatter, next the outboard wingtip contacts terra firma, followed by the (say it with me) PROP!, and then the inboard wingtip.... shizzzz... there goes that damned $12K prop I guess it was a cheaper event... to the tune of a couple gear legs and some fitting work....

No sir... flying an A10, F18, F35, or 777 does not impress.... not if a day knocking around in a cub is on the menu. How you treat your cub, that's the ticket, and that ticket is first filled by cub hours. The same could be said in reverse, it's not a cub thing it's a mission thing. If your military / airline / sprayer ego won't let you admit that, you'll buy a few props.... Plain and simple.

This is one of the very first FX3's (yes on legacy gear).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	booboo.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	309.0 KB 
ID:	52240

My only point here is that after receiving the call from RCC to check on the ping, I landed (2 up and heavy) next to this bird 3 times during the reconnaissance / help . I am a mediocre cub stick at best, but current and proficient. This cub should not have been parked this way, but that's what happens when money comes easier than experience. I am not bashing the pilot, he was a gentleman, and as I understand it, sought higher training after the event. Excellent idea, I bet (no.... I know) he would agree that a few more hours appropriately spent prior to the event would have resulted in a completely different outcome.

In closing I would say we all want the best gear (pardon the pun) we can afford. But buy it because you want it, buy it because you can afford it, buy it because it's your damn money and you will buy whatever you damn well want... but don't try and snow the rest of the *experienced* world in to believing your buying it because it is the safer thing to do...

Take care, Rob
    Last edited by Rob; 11-10-2020 at 05:04 AM.
    Thanks Tim, Steve Pierce, Utah-Jay, gdafoe thanked for this post
    Likes skywagon8a, Tim, 40m, mam90, OLDCROWE and 8 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    turbopilot, I got to thinking how passionate you are about the Cub landing gear design and wonder if you had a gear failure and if so can you shed some light on what happened?
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Thanks tedwaltman1 thanked for this post
    Likes mike mcs repair, ak49flyer, cubflier, pfm liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm concerned about flying my supercub with the legacy gear after reading this thread.
    Thanks mike mcs repair thanked for this post
    Likes cubflier, tedwaltman1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by behindpropellers View Post
    I'm concerned about flying my supercub with the legacy gear after reading this thread.
    I'm concerned that I am dumber because I read this thread.

Jerry
    If it looks smooth...it might be

If it looks rough...it is!!
    Thanks Fat Kid thanked for this post
    Likes S2D, RaisedByWolves, Crash, Jr. liked this post

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ha!!

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Heh. I was kicking around the idea of ever fancier gear until reading this thread. Now I'm leaning back to bungees! I already have new ones hanging on the wall....
    Likes mike mcs repair, tedwaltman1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll take time tested old crap over new and improved any day

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post

Glenn

glenn, i sortve like my t3 tailshock.
    Likes silflexer, RoddyM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
    Likes mike mcs repair, Utah-Jay liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Reading this thread has been like being at a tennis match with bad seats
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    There are no good seats at a tennis match.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.
    Likes mike mcs repair, 40m, RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    get out of the way.
    LOL. I think that describes me at this point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
    We seem to get alot of folks who show up here voicing opinions and ideas. It would be nice to know something about them other than a screen name. People rarely fill out their profile.
    Please, in detail, tell us how!

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wireweinie View Post
    There are no good seats at a tennis match.

Web
    Unless Iím watching Maria Sharapova play.....this thread is almost worthy of Airline Pilot Central. Hahaha!
    Likes mam90, mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Beating a dead horse.... except this one appears to have got back up....

Post Thanks / Like

Glenn
    Normally itís good to at least get the cross hairs on the target. Shooting from the hip is rarely effective.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tempdoug View Post
    So does he, he just put one on his Jeep

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be
    found in all corners of the earth."

Then he made the earth round... and He laughed and laughed and laughed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mam90 View Post
    Beating a dead horse.... except this one appears to have got back up....
    Quick, hit it again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes 40m, mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been doing a lot of thinking about this thread and I have a lot of random thoughts. Please don't take any of it as I am pointing a finger at any one person, I am just randomly throwing things out that come to mind.

First off I have noticed a lot of engineer types research things extensively. I was raised by one. My Dad never bought anything on impulse, be it a television or an airplane. The problems I see is getting good information. A good review at Consumer Reports doesn't always tell the whole story. That is one of the things I really admire about him. I can sometimes be impulsive and regret it later.

Second, stuff happens. About the time I think I am feeling pretty good about my abilities I get humbled. I had been doing the test flying on the Dakota Cub slotted winged Pacer and thought I had it dialed in pretty good. Had been putting it through it paces all morning and feeling pretty good about it. I took Cathy out for a familiarization flight to get her comfortable in it and on my first landing with her in the right seat just as we touched down the wing came up, I rolled in the aileron and then the nose went 90 degrees to the runway. I slammed in the power and realized very fast that we were way to slow and were going toward the ditch. I pulled out the power and got on the brakes and got it stopped. It was Saturday and several folks were at the airport and witnessed my off runway excursion and were quick on the scene. We got out and realized I had drug the wing tip and the elevator. That was a major humbling experience. I did it, no one else and I had to own it.

I have flown with a lot of people over the years and stuff happens for what ever reason. I always find it interesting the reaction and the individuals takeaway. That brings me to my third thought which is other peoples reaction. Everybody grabs a cell phone, takes a picture and posts it to social media. My first landing in my Thorp I had a bit of a crosswind, touched down nice and started rolling out and ran out of rudder. I did not have my feet positioned to get on the brakes and in the time it took me to get them I found the ditch perpendicular to the runway. To say I was pissed was an understatement. I got out, stormed over to my hangar and got my truck and trailer. When I got back to the airplane out airport manager was out there taking pictures with his phone. Having witnessed many of his incidents and not saving them for all of eternity I unloaded on him. Kinda like the X Cub that ground looped at Gainesville and got posted to the North Texas Aviators and Big Tire Pilots Facebook pages. I had worked on the airplane and the owner was 70 plus year old Citation pilot trying to master the tailwheel. There were 134 posts bashing him. My blood boiled and I posted that I hoped no one was around with a cell phone when they screwed the pooch. A few tried to justify their actions by saying they were learning from his mistakes but none could quote a constructive post. Luckily the moderator on both pages deleted the pictures and posts. I see a lot of that on Facebook, seems we get some sort of pleasure out of other's misery and maybe it makes us feel superior. It is a different story when something bad happens to you.

Anyway, I have figured out that everyone is different but I tend to gravitate more towards certain people but always find it interesting of others experiences to better understand them and what makes them tick. So much for my Saturday morning philosophical moment. Off to a memorial service to one of my greatest mentors.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Thanks JeffP, Fat Kid thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, thought I was done beating this horse but guess not. My reaction to the passion Turbo exhibited was due to the fact he wasn’t passionate about how good the new gear was, but how bad the old gear was. It felt as if he had spent all this money on a set up he had been “sold” based on statistical data compiled by the people selling him the gear. (Did you know that 86.2% of all statistics are made up on the spot?). Then he felt obligated to educate everyone flying legacy gear, some who had been flying it successfully for decades, with this astounding info. Was he trying to convince us, or himself I wonder? Had the discussion been about a more forgiving off airport setup that would have been one thing. But the discussion was wrapped around airplanes ground looping on runways... And while he doesn’t need to justify his decision to anyone, he just kept trying to convince people that it was folly to operate legacy gear.

And cameras, YouTube pilots etc.., not a fan but that genies never going back in the bottle. I did some part time helicopter flying after I retired, mainly power line patrol. Everyone we flew near had a phone aimed at us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Post 301; awesome post!
    Yesterday, RANS Aircraft posted some pictures of their S-20 on legacy landing gear. Actually legacy gear, and, monster shock combo. Beginning to test this setup with hints it’s going to be available for the S-21 as well. Randy S. is a practical fellow, he goes with what works. Only draw back? A bit of a speed penalty. That’s it.
    Thanks barrow pilot thanked for this post
    Likes Utah-Jay, sjohnson liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TVATIVAK71 View Post
    Unless I’m watching Maria Sharapova play.....
    She plays tennis?!

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.
    Likes Utah-Jay, TVATIVAK71, C130jake liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    https://youtu.be/-tjQwvqrvZQ

Just think of the places Greg could go if his legacy death gear and Acmes wasn't holding him back!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
    https://youtu.be/-tjQwvqrvZQ

Just think of the places Greg could go if his legacy death gear and Acmes wasn't holding him back!

im amazed he can even get off the ground.
    Likes silflexer, RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tempdoug View Post
    I do love my T3, 1930s Tiger Moth TW inovation re-invented

Glennis
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    I do love my T3, 1930s Tiger Moth TW inovation re-invented

Glennis