Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Beringer ALG vs. Acme Aero for FX3

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Not my friend, he touted the safety advantage of the Beringer gear and I learn he ground looped it like he did the legacy with Acme's. I am seeking the same insight from him on what went wrong as he put into telling us how bad the legacy gear design is.
    Sounds like he forgot to tiptoe thru the tulips?

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes 40m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Pardon my ignorance. As a newbie cub pilot, I has posted a few questions to the very knowledgeable collective here on the forum. SC is a great resource and have continued to learn a lot. Now in my second season of flying my EX-2 and enjoying it very much. I continue to push my self to learn new skills; stronger x winds, steeper rougher gravel strips, different approaches, etc.

But isn't this thread about learning to fly what you have (limitations of plane and pilot) as opposed to what's the safest or best landing gear? I mean without a DARPA analysis, isn't it just an opinion on the gear?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wait, so legacy gear doesnt cause ground loops? What about when someone ground loops TK's?
    Likes jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    But isn't this thread about learning to fly what you have (limitations of plane and pilot) as opposed to what's the safest or best landing gear? I mean without a DARPA analysis, isn't it just an opinion on the gear?
    None of the above. The landing gear "system" posts obviously become a religious cult on what's best otherwise known as confirmation bias (what I have is the best). This was a thread I started, go back and read the first post, based on information I was given and hence I came here and asked for more opinions from those with experience. I asked this question to help me make a decision on my new airplane, now being built. I like many wanted to do thorough research and learn, get past "confirmation bias" and be sure whatever I choose is what "I" want to have on my plane, stick with, learn, and build experience with. This thread is a pre-purchase question and nothing further.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you still training with Tac Aero? What do they say?
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Are you still training with Tac Aero? What do they say?
    I completed the training early January. Was great training, highly recommend it. TacAero is a dealer for Acme...

I had already made my choice and received my TK1's. I'm sure EVERY option is a great option but you have to feel good with the option you choose. I feel good with my choice and I look forward to using these to build my experience on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don’t anybody stop now! I’m cheering for a 10th page of this discussion
    Likes JeffP, mam90 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Would your oopsie have been different with different gear?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgdrvr View Post
    None of the above. The landing gear "system" posts obviously become a religious cult on what's best otherwise known as confirmation bias (what I have is the best). This was a thread I started, go back and read the first post, based on information I was given and hence I came here and asked for more opinions from those with experience. I asked this question to help me make a decision on my new airplane, now being built. I like many wanted to do thorough research and learn, get past "confirmation bias" and be sure whatever I choose is what "I" want to have on my plane, stick with, learn, and build experience with. This thread is a pre-purchase question and nothing further.
    And I believe you got that. Most people have experience with the legacy type gear and an assortment of shock struts. As I have seen in the real world and at STOL contests my observations are they all work and work well. None cause groundloops no matter what the Beringer guy says and I assume found out when he groundlooped them. I would say TK1s and Acme's are at the top of the list for off airport. There have been a lot of blame put on failures with lots of emotion involved but there was also a lot of ego involved and in my opinion some failed because the operator wanted them to. I am sure you will be happy with the TK1s. My only issue with them is the experience I posted of one leaking and the owner being dead in the water until he got a nitrogen bottle. That is an issue Acme does not have. Some people like the more streamline look of the Acme over the kinda Jeep look of the TK1. I will go Acme because of reasons stated and they will be approved on my certified Super Cub. I was fine with my bungees, said holy smokes when I installed the AOSS and will probably say the same thing when I install the Acme's having flown them on other's airplanes. You have found the Cub Mecca, we are opinionated yes, but I think you have to admit diverse and knowledgeable as well. If you want to learn something about Cubs it is here or you can find out here.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes 40m, Utah-Jay, AkPA/18, txpacer, KevinJ and 1 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Omg
    Likes RaisedByWolves, Scooter7779h liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Post #329 brought closure

Thankfully I might add
    Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
    https://www.instagram.com/jay_townsend_utah/
    Likes mam90 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Without facts and science, it's just another opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    Without facts and science, it's just another opinion.
    And hopefully everyone realizes that post 329 is my opinion. Actually most anything I post is my opinion, worth what you paid for it.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes mam90, 40m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    Would your oopsie have been different with different gear?
    I just realized that this question was probably directed at me.....No is the answer. If you try hard enough and have enough leverage you can break the horn off an anvil. The side loading at impact of the far side of the ditch caused the AOSS to break at the can then folding the 3” extended gear in half pushing the bushwheel into the lift struts. Nothing at fault other than me.
    Flying from manicured grass strip to manicured grass strip would have solved this gear failure. That’s not the main mission of my cub
    Thanks stewartb thanked for this post
    Likes DENNY, 40m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven’t watched the video but I already knew the answer. I appreciated your comments and respect how you owned the accident. Cheers!