• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Who rents cubs or similar TW aircraft?

hawgdrvr

FL001
It's been an interesting situation trying to find a place to rent a TW aircraft to build time. Recently checked out and BFR'd in a CC11 but they can't let me solo as they don't have insurance coverage for that. I checked with another more common outfit and they require me to get non owners insurance. I'm RVing out west this winter and would like to keep flying. If any outfits rent TW aircraft in the AZ area I'd love to know. I'm then heading north to get my FX3 in May/June so in that two month span if anything up in the northwest rents cubs or similar to continue to build TW time and have recency prior to taking delivery of my FX3 will help and my insurance situation.

Seems like a great opportunity to rent cubs for those willing to build such an outfit. With the GA situation these days, FBO's and training outfits closed down, it is a very hard situation for people to learn to fly or find places to rent now, it seems. Far different from when I entered GA in the mid-80's prior to going into the Air Force.

If you were to source insurance, you would see why most of us that provide training in Cubs don't rent them. Most of the tailwheel aircraft I've seen as rentals, are in the "rode hard and put away wet" condition.

For the cost and the fun of flying, a good kitfox or avid is hard to beat. Especially if you have a trailer to pull behind the RV and can bring the plane with you. Its about 10 minuted to pull one out of or off the trailer and have the wings folded out and ready to fly.

Try Chandler Air Service, Chandler, AZ. They have Super Cubs and Great Lakes biplanes.

aerobatics.com

The flight school I work at here in Bentonville rents a 90HP J3, a Legend Cub, and soon a 180HP super cub. You do have to get throughly checked out in them before you can rent.

Bentonville is a great place to spend a few days and lots of cool places to play! https://www.iflysummit.com/

sj

We are having lousy luck with taildraggers lately. We have a J3 insured for dual only instruction - a thousand bucks a year, liability only, and no solo. We do 50-60 hours a year total - first ten hours pays the insurance and we buy the gas, etc. a genuine loser. If we roll it up in a ball, I get to fix it on my nickel.

The only reason we do it is that so many folks want Cub time. We hate to turn them away.

Now with Covid, the insurance is going to waste - normal liability is a quarter what we pay. I cannot risk dropping it.

On my airport, in the last two years, we have had two ground loops resulting in almost total damage - they were over-insured, so, fixed. Three nose-overs w/C/s props - fifty grand a pop - and one serious accident with injuries - all tailwheel. Stand by while the insurance companies figure all this out.

I rent mine only to my current students. My instruction/rental policy cost 3500.00 per year on a my A model...........prolly fixing to go up to 4K for next year. Our insurance on our Thrush is going up too. Been a bad year for losses.

I highly recommend Chandler in AZ for some Super Cub time. If you need a recommendation for an instructor there, PM me.

I highly recommend Chandler in AZ for some Super Cub time. If you need a recommendation for an instructor there, PM me.

I second that. Those folks always treated me really well. Nice restaurant (open during Covid??). Generally nice winter weather.

You might talk to Tac Aero in Hood River Oregon.
They have several supercubs & do a lot of t/w training,
not sure about their solo / rental policy though.

I did talk to TacAero and they require you to have non-owner insurance. I wonder if those getting PPL's there have to obtain that as well. My problem appears to be solved by the Chandler outfit which I play to visit and fly weekly, if not more, while I'm in Casa Grande, AZ in my RV for 3 months Jan to April. Sounds like a great opportunity with a great outfit and renting their cub as long as I have 25 hours which I'll be very close to having after TacAero training in TX early Jan.

Non-owner insurance is not that expensive unless you are instructing. Mine is free with my Decathlon insurance, and my CFI insurance works as well if I am solo in someone else's airplane.

If I were to offer an airplane solo on that basis, I would carefully check with an attorney. Non- owner policies may not automatically pay the third party. Probably requires expensive litigation!

Non-owner insurance is not that expensive unless you are instructing. Mine is free with my Decathlon insurance, and my CFI insurance works as well if I am solo in someone else's airplane.

I briefly looked at Avemco and they didn't offer high enough per TacAero's requirement (can't remember, probably 250K hull). The other issue is the duration needed vs. cost such as only needing it for one month. Very strange situation these days where I'm used to renting planes in the past. Insurance has really changed this situation.

I would bet TacAero is fooling themselves, trying to avoid the high premiums of a commercial operation. You break their airplane, and your renter's insurance probably pays for attorneys to defend you from Tac's lawsuit. You win if it was their negligence - say, engine failure?

I am just guessing, but there are insurance experts lurking around here!

It’s probably more accurate to say that the high cost of aircraft and repairs thereof, and the high number of expensive accidents have changed the situation. The insurance is just a result of their loss experience.

It’s probably more accurate to say that the high cost of aircraft and repairs thereof, and the high number of expensive accidents have changed the situation. The insurance is just a result of their loss experience.

I agree, and frankly, renters, as a whole, tend to treat rental aircraft somewhat different than owners treat their aircraft. I've seen too many rental airplanes come back in a ball, or so dinged up that the value of the airplane decreased.

MTV

Back