• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Waxing plane

womblesd

O’Fallon, MO

Question: has anyone used a ceramic sealer on their fabric covered plane, versus waxing? Does the sealer work and is it better than wax?

I have used Gyeon Syncro, it really works, bugs barely stick and great shine and slick. Just wipe off and use a spray detail product to wet slightly, just simple to clean. Cannot even get tape to stick on plane after, very slick. Been on two Husky's for a couple years, still good. Getting ready to do another one. Prep is the hardest part, to get all detailed and clean prior to applying the at least 3 coat process. Takes 100ML bottle to do cub type plane, and I do not do underside of wings other than where wheels can throw up stuff.
John

How hard to remove if you must do a repair? Might be the ticket for Poly Tone but I'd want to be able to get it off just in case?

Not sure, think it can be buffed off. Wears off over time. 3-5 years i think, depending on how many coats.

You should probably read the manual for whatever covering process you have. I know the Poly-Fiber and Ceconite manuals cover it.

I have used Gyeon Syncro, it really works, bugs barely stick and great shine and slick. Just wipe off and use a spray detail product to wet slightly, just simple to clean. Cannot even get tape to stick on plane after, very slick. Been on two Husky's for a couple years, still good. Getting ready to do another one. Prep is the hardest part, to get all detailed and clean prior to applying the at least 3 coat process. Takes 100ML bottle to do cub type plane, and I do not do underside of wings other than where wheels can throw up stuff.
John
John, Did you notice any before and after performance differences? A slight speed change? Just curious as to whether there was any change to the overall drag component.

Back