• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Dream locations to live with Cub?

hawgdrvr

FL001
I currently live in the Richmond, VA area and have a CubCrafters FX-3 on order. I also enjoy RVing and have a nice motorhome. I'd like to sell my house here in VA someday and move to a dream location to enjoy the great country in the cub and if needed I can travel during off season in the motorhome. Where would you suggest I consider looking for a place for me and the dog, a RV spot, maybe small condo/townhouse, and an airport or airstrip?

Help me find my dream location.

Thank you.

I’m here now. Typing this I’m looking out the window at Pioneer Peak that towers over the Knik River valley. The Talkeetna Mountains are in my back yard (just got home from a festival in Hatcher Pass), and the Yentna-Susitna valleys are 20 minutes west. Beyond that? Alaska. It doesn’t suck to live where I live.

I don't think AK is where I'll go, probably remain in lower 48, I didn't think to mention that. Thinking the ID, MT, WY, NV, UT region

I’m from Hot Springs SD on the southern end of the Black hills.
mild winters, 39 degrees is our lowest average high.
We have nearly endless places to fly and explore, and none of it is terribly high elevation.
Being from the reddest of the red states is currently a big plus too.

I enjoyed my time in Sand Point but I always liked Missoula and Thompson Falls. Small towns within easy reach of a lot of cool places.

I am deliriously happy with three Cubs and a Decathlon in San Diego. 13 minutes from the airport, and I do not have to mow the grass. Always a social scene - missing a party right now because I am observing Covid precautions.

But everybody else is bolting 31s on and heading for Sand Point. It is beautiful, and if you do not let on that your politics may not line up, you will find truly nice folks there.

Hell, anywhere that you don’t have to consistently takeoff and land on 10,000ft of pavement!

All kidding aside, Western Arkansas doesn’t suck just take your diesel pusher somewhere farther N during the dead of the summer. Might ask SJ?

I don't think AK is where I'll go, probably remain in lower 48, I didn't think to mention that. Thinking the ID, MT, WY, NV, UT region

Pretty hard to go wrong on any of your choices as far as flying opportunities and scenery goes.

Go look at the 20,000 pictures posted on this site of the North East. NY, VT, NH and Maine. We have it all. Farm fields, Big enough mountains, endless lakes and one of the most awesome coastline flying in the US. Wheels, floats or skis you won't be disapointed.

Glenn

Go look at the 20,000 pictures posted on this site of the North East. NY, VT, NH and Maine. We have it all. Farm fields, Big enough mountains, endless lakes and one of the most awesome coastline flying in the US. Wheels, floats or skis you won't be disapointed.

Glenn

The deal killer is living within a 400 mile circle of Tim. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anywhere you can find a community of like-minded individuals. If you’re an eastern educated liberal, the Northern Great Plains, Idaho, on down into Texas and the Southwest might kill you if they don’t cure you first.

Wherever you go, figure you better try to fit in.

Alpine or Afton Wyoming isn't half bad, (where the millionaires who have been forced out of Jackson Hole by the billionaires, live) if you can afford the price of admission. Husky country, you could, like the Xcub pilot I met in Alpine this summer, show them up. Seriously, it's great country, with as great of country on all sides.

Happiness comes from within.. Every place is a state of mind..
I can honestly say that "what" I fly and "WHO" I fly with, is far more important to me than "where" I fly..
I've spent my life in the air.. retired now, my local airport friends mean more to me than "where" we Fly....
Your question should be .. "Where are the coolest folks to fly with?" :lol: SW Michigan!!

I'm sure any place new would be fresh and exciting for a while but for the most part it doesn't get any better than right where I am. 5 minutes from my dooryard it is everything I need and more. It all depends on what you enjoy. I can fly for 15 minutes and fish a pond that is a 6 mile walk. I have been very happy here. South for 30 mins and I can start getting into small airports and more people when I want to do that. Very fortunate to live where I do.

People are important, and weather, too. When I moved to Wyoming I worked 6 days a week and got more memorable flights than as a bum in VT.

Heber City, Utah is pretty good! Situated in a beautiful valley and lots of great backcountry stuff both here and in Idaho.
Blue Ribbon trout in the valley... Check
Great skiing 15 minutes away... Check
Hiking... Check
Golf... Check
Weather... High mountain desert climate with virtually no humidity, think less than Phoenix

We also have KHCR.... OK, well there had to be a balance

WY and much of Utah pretty high elevations, no performance from cubs in those altitudes. Alaska is mostly sea level area flying, great performance. My AZ location is not too bad, but heat and higher elevations to me are not as fun as closer to sea level and cooler temps.
John

I was waiting out some weather at Watson lake Yukon , with a few other pilots some time back . We were all headed to the lower 48 and having a discussion about where each of us was headed . When it came my turn to tell my destination I said " Kansas " . A guy quickly ask , " on purpose !"

I agree that PEOPLE is as important as the location. When I flew radio controlled airplanes in my teens the people was a big part of it. RC fields now have hardly any people flying and I have no desire to just go fly models without the friends. Sadly some airports are like that now too, my local (KFCI) is like a ghost town whereas when I did my PPL long long ago it was very active. So yes, I'd love a great location but also a community of backcountry pilots to share the experience with and help one another out should someone need to put it down in a field and need a way out, etc.

Back