• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Dream locations to live with Cub?

My wife says every time I open the hangar door in winter it costs $50. A neighbor who offers winter storage actually charges $50 for each door opening. By the time spring arrives I won't care.

I suspect it depends on wind direction and OAT, but the $50 wouldn't be far off. In the winter (before departure) I run the hangar winch cable out to the door and I also leave a pair of ice overshoes by the door to accelerate the process of putting the plane back in. There's always a couple of times when it's windy and cold that nothing seems to go quick about getting the bird back in the nest....and then the heater runs for an hour or so to get everything back to temp.

I know Alaska's off the list, but I'd put a plug in for Alaska again.

Not too many other places where you can do this kind of flying. I know that cold can wear on a person, but the beauty and solitude overrides the inconvenience of cold.

M43EgA.jpg

4tcPSr.jpg

8TJPtC.jpg

v2uVQB.jpg

gtHEFx.jpg

I have in floor heat in my hanger at birchwood. I see very little difference in heat cost if I fly 10 times in a month or none. Recovery time to come back up to temp once the door is closed is very short, same with my big shop at home. In floor heat is the way to go.
DENNY

I know Alaska's off the list, but I'd put a plug in for Alaska again.

I've yet to go to Alaska other than a stop over for an Air Force flight. I think if/when I go my opinion may change. Hopefully I can make that happen sooner vs. later. Was planning a RV trip but all of those plans have changed. Maybe in a few years.

I suspect it depends on wind direction and OAT, but the $50 wouldn't be far off. In the winter (before departure) I run the hangar winch cable out to the door and I also leave a pair of ice overshoes by the door to accelerate the process of putting the plane back in. There's always a couple of times when it's windy and cold that nothing seems to go quick about getting the bird back in the nest....and then the heater runs for an hour or so to get everything back to temp.

This is why we did radiant in the hangar slab.

If I built a new hangar tomorrow it would use a high efficiency unit heater (forced air) with ceiling fans. I can turn the heat down to 40-45* and in 5 minutes have it up to 70*. I don't want to heat to comfort 24/7. My hangar, my lifestyle.

CC should have a folding wing option so you could roam around for a year or 2 until you find a place to your liking.

Agreed, and perhaps best of both worlds is radiant, in-floor with an in-floor thermocouple that measures slab temp (not air temp) PLUS what you’ve detailed. We set an empty 10’ length of 1/2” PEX tubing in our slab and dropped one of these down it, hooked up to the boiler control.https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-AC11201-Temperature-Heating-Applications/dp/B07CN37JQ5

This way the slab is always at 50F or so regardless of fluctuating air temps, and we have capability of rapid warmup of space, which as you’ve pointed out is highly desirable.

If I built a new hangar tomorrow it would use a high efficiency unit heater (forced air) with ceiling fans. I can turn the heat down to 40-45* and in 5 minutes have it up to 70*. I don't want to heat to comfort 24/7. My hangar, my lifestyle.

Last edited:

I just ordered a new thermostat for the propane foced air heat in my new-to-me 50x50 hangar.
The new one goes down to 40.
Warm enough to not need pre-heat, but low enough where it shouldn't use too much gas.
Winter temps in the Puget Sound area are generally pretty mild anyways--
my old t hangar didn't have any heater at all & I managed to get by just fine.

20201002_141932 (002).jpgMy hangar at Skyranch/18AZ in Carefree, AZ. Have had this one for over 15 years, prices have skyrocketed here for home/hangar. Great spot for winter.
John

Attachments

• 20201002_141932 (002).jpg
    20201002_141932 (002).jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 445
My hangar at Skyranch/18AZ in Carefree, AZ. Have had this one for over 15 years, prices have skyrocketed here for home/hangar. Great spot for winter.
John
Yeah, but is your hangar HEATED? (Green font for "sarcasm" mode... My Texas hangar is "heated" about 3/4 of the year, and freezing cold for a couple of weeks...)

Yeah, but is your hangar HEATED? (Green font for "sarcasm" mode... My Texas hangar is "heated" about 3/4 of the year, and freezing cold for a couple of weeks...)
Jim,
Heated all summer, ha ha!, but have a/c for working inside when a bit hot and heat when needed in winter. Pretty cool in winter in Carefree. Gone to Alaska in summer.
John

John, you win the "my favorite hangar" award in my book. Is the Kodiak gone? What's next?
Stewart,
The new to me Husky in the hangar is the replacement for the Kodiak and Husky sold as a package. 2018 Husky with factory extended gear. I just put 31's on it and baby bushwheel. It stands taller than Husky in Alaska with 35's as the factory extended gear is 4" longer and 2" forward compared to the Husky in AK with 3" extended cub gear. this one is very fast, does about 125MPH at 2350 squared, one in AK does about 100mph, so rocket in comparison to me.
Building a new house in Anchorage, just broke ground. Very near the reporting point coming into Lake Hood, few lots west of the ballpark reporting spot! Will have all the flights to/from Lk Hood right by the new house. Love airplane noise!!!
And very short drive to the Lake Hood hangars.
John

Stewart,
The new to me Husky in the hangar is the replacement for the Kodiak and Husky sold as a package. 2018 Husky with factory extended gear. I just put 31's on it and baby bushwheel. It stands taller than Husky in Alaska with 35's as the factory extended gear is 4" longer and 2" forward compared to the Husky in AK with 3" extended cub gear. this one is very fast, does about 125MPH at 2350 squared, one in AK does about 100mph, so rocket in comparison to me.
Building a new house in Anchorage, just broke ground. Very near the reporting point coming into Lake Hood, few lots west of the ballpark reporting spot! Will have all the flights to/from Lk Hood right by the new house. Love airplane noise!!!
John

I flew into Lake Hood as a stop over on the way to Dall Sheep hunt in ‘94

cool place

Wait! You sold that awesome Cubsky build by Starr?! Say it isn’t so. That was nice! But this one is sweet. Choices, choices. Nice to have ‘em
I’ll drop a congratulatory bottle of scotch (padded) on your new lawn in the spring when coming back in over the inlet.

Stewart,
John

Kindly keep thread on track which is about locations. Thank you.
No worries - we’ll get there. If you’re not into gregarious, conversational flow amongst likeminded pilots, maybe airstrip living isn’t your bag! And, hangar details are an important part of what you’re contemplating. Like impulse buying of aircraft, purchasing a hangar that doesn’t actually fit your needs could be an expensive mistake (unless you’re like Schwamm and your investment in AZ keeps growing. Might want to note that, too...).

Great group of folks here who will continue to chime in as the thread builds steam, I am sure.

So, you’ve not talked much about the things you do when not sitting in your plane. Just pickle ball and sitting at the ‘puter.

Hunting? Fishing? Hiking? Camping? Merely flying to backcountry destinations can get old without a reason to go, and many land area managers and neighboring locals + non-aviation users are waking up to the idea that strip-bagging by outlander pilots is annoying and intrusive and often brings accidents. Talk to some folks around McCall or other backcountry hubs and you’ll find that out quick.

Last edited:
Definitely not Idaho, dusty hot smoky summers and cold cold dark winters. Bad very bad.

Same with Alaska, but we have man eating bears, and stomping moose, very dangerous, we all here suggest to stay away, and stay down in the lower 48, visit Idaho if you must!

Wait! You sold that awesome Cubsky build by Starr?! Say it isn’t so. That was nice! But this one is sweet. Choices, choices. Nice to have ‘em
I’ll drop a congratulatory bottle of scotch (padded) on your new lawn in the spring when coming back in over the inlet.
JohnnyR,
Did not sell that Husky, it is in Alaska in Starr's hangar, the best. But this one in AZ is far faster, got to like that, but does not perform shortfield like the one in AK. It gets off at sea level in about 85', light one.
John

Definitely not Idaho, dusty hot smoky summers and cold cold dark winters. Bad very bad.

And, my newly purchased trail camera, set up on my 1/4 mile hiking/biking/beer drinking trail through the treed section of my 40 acres, showed a nice big kitty cat. About 150 pounds worth of kitty, and the time stamp showed it was there 12 minutes after myself and my 10 pound dog were there, it's like living in Jurassic Park here sometimes.

It is, Idaho is very nice, so nice that our population has exploded. We are still out in the country but the suburbs are racing toward us.

Back