• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Starter for 160hp O320?

Penguin

FRIEND
KNFL
Is anyone running a 122 tooth B&C starter on a 160hp O320?

The rebuild on my O320 wide deck is just about done, upgrading from 150 to 160 hp. The motor was high time, but all of the accessories were fresh and the plan is to use the same stuff again. Amongst a list of other things required to be compliant, CubCrafters stipulates the use of a 149 tooth starter and associated ring gear if you are using a B&C. I have the B&C, but it's a 122 tooth. Any idea why the specificity? Higher compression?

Not sure why. Maybe a call to CC to find out? I've used both sizes of ring gears on small Lycomings and they both worked just fine.

Tell them you're using a SkyTec, lol.

Web

If I'm reading the STC right, it also calls for a 149 tooth on the 150hp. Interesting. I'll shoot them a call. Great folks out there.

I did. CC didn't seem to have a real issue with it. I installed the 122 tooth and accessories. The new motor starts and runs great. The IA who installed made a note in the 337 about a 122 tooth gear being used. No problem.

Not sure why they stipulate the 149 tooth in the STC. I questioned Vera about this when I did it and couldn't get a clear answer. Bought the 149 tooth ring and moved on.

Back