Thread: Lycomming io-233 or o-233 issues

Post Thanks / Like

Lycomming io-233 or o-233 issues

Are these engines any good? What issues have they had and have they been resolved? My search on the web has not returned much information.

Thanks,
    Forrest

Post Thanks / Like
    I am told by a flight school operator that the electronic ignition last 100 hrs and then has to go back to Champion for repair consistantly.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Steve.

Does anyone else have any feedback?

Thanks,
    Forrest

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have any experience with this engine. However, based on what Steve said I would wait until the bugs were worked out before committing to using one. Having to send the ignition back every 100 hours is basically limiting you to the home traffic pattern, to say nothing of the inconvenience.

I am a fan of electronic ignition. It must be totally reliable to be useful. 100 hours is not reliable.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Further to Steve’s input, I concur the Ignition is unique to this model engine and problematic! .... so unable to change out to something with proven reliability...

Post Thanks / Like
    If it is experimental you could install mags or what ever. The one I exampled is an SLSA used in a flight school and Lycoming maintains the ASTM standard and they would have to approve the change if SLSA is retained.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes SJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    This engine has been out for several years. Not having the issue resolved by now doesn't look good on lycoming or champion. In my business there would be Managers and Engineers fired for this. I wonder how they are keeping it under the radar? You would think that one would be able to find more information on the web about the proplem.

Appears to me that anybody that bought this engine has a plane that has the value of one needing a new engine unless they sell it to an uninspecting sole.

Thanks,
    I'll stay away.

Regards,
    Forrest

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the 233 in my S-7 and have about 275 trouble free hours on it. I chose that engine because Lycoming called me and asked if I would make exhaust systems for it. During the building time they sent me at least 3 new ignition systems and the engine hadn’t been started yet. I really didn’t want to be a tester for Champion so I installed a dual lightspeed setup. It’s been trouble free and a proven system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoster View Post
    This engine has been out for several years. Not having the issue resolved by now doesn't look good on lycoming or champion. In my business there would be Managers and Engineers fired for this. I wonder how they are keeping it under the radar? You would think that one would be able to find more information on the web about the proplem.
    Well, Champion managed to keep their spark plug problems "under the radar" for over 10 years until enough of the aviation forums "outed" them that they were forced to fix the issues... I suspect there just aren't enough airplanes using this engine to have achieved "critical bad PR mass" to raise the attention of Champion management.

Frankly, at this point, they've sullied their corporate reputation to the point I just avoid anything the company manufactures... It's one of the reasons I now fly a Rotax-powered airplane – it's just not easy to avoid Champion products if you fly Lycoming or Continental engines...
    Jim Parker
    2007 Rans S-6ES

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoster View Post
    Are these engines any good? What issues have they had and have they been resolved? My search on the web has not returned much information.

Thanks,
    Forrest
    So what are you planning on putting this engine in?
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    “If it is experimental you could install mags or what ever. The one I exampled is an SLSA used in a flight school and Lycoming maintains the ASTM standard and they would have to approve the change if SLSA is retained.”

Thanks Steve, that is a much better way of explaining it. I was referring to LSA category.
    Likes pfm liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redfin View Post
    “If it is experimental you could install mags or what ever. The one I exampled is an SLSA used in a flight school and Lycoming maintains the ASTM standard and they would have to approve the change if SLSA is retained.”

Thanks Steve, that is a much better way of explaining it. I was referring to LSA category.
    ELSA or SLSA?
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Experimental. Salon, wanted to know if one should stay away from an slsa with this engine.

Thanks for the replies!

Regards,
    Forrest

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you going to instruct in it? If not no reason not to convert to ELSA
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    We have yo-233 in our Super Legend-first failure at 180hr, replacement from Champion, which we waited for several months to receive, failed 35hr later. 2 mags is not an option as the accessory case only has one hole. Champion comped us a Slick mag (Champion again), added a single Lightspeed. Only about 10 hours on this setup. Working ok so far. Needless to say, this has been very frustrating. Champion management knows ALL about the situation.
    Thanks marcusofcotton thanked for this post