• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Light weight alternator

Anchorage, AK
What’s everyone using for an alternator to keep the weight down? My Super Cub project has a generator which I am going to switch out.

Been using a BnC for about 17 years now on the O320. No issues, no sqwauks. About 1100 hours or so.

buy a DENSO----1600 hrs on RV-8---same alternator--jnternally regulated---40 amps--no problems---

I like the Denso $130, and the BanC mounting kit for $65,. 200 bucks total. I think some states have defunded the FAA and the police for the peaceful protesters so with no police or FAA I think the Denso is fine on certified.

I’ve got the B&C L40 with external regulator along with a Skytech XL lightweight starter on my O-235 powered PA-16 with Field approval. If you go with the Denso internal regulated, you can’t use an EarthX battery, so plan accordingly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The L40 is now called the BC400 when installed on certified aircraft. It's name was changed when it was STC'd

Although I don't put automotive alternators on aircraft, why wouldn't you be able to use an EarthX battery with one? The usual limitation is that the battery needs to be big enough to handle the output of the alternator.

Web

Does an internally regulated automotive alternator have a crow bar over voltage protection circuit? The EarthX is sensitive to overvoltage issues where as the lead acid battery has resiliency.

What about accessory case alternators? B&C makes them. Mine works well. Field approvable?

I usually sign them off as meeting the requirements of CAR3. I did get a field approval for the Plane-Power direct drive model and others have gotten field approvals for the B&C.

Web

Not a lot of weight savings going to b&c belt drive and you need to switch power on and off. B&C rear mount field approved is where you will save the most and no oil cooler issues

Not a lot of weight savings going to b&c belt drive and you need to switch power on and off. B&C rear mount field approved is where you will save the most and no oil cooler issues
There would be a lot of weight saving because I am replacing a generator. ;)
I am considering the accessory pad model as well though.

Have a nephew that replaced generator on a pa12 not worth the price and a days worth of labor Like 600.00 or so for a pound

I got a plane power field approved when you used to be able to do that. And “belt pulley removed from flywheel” and I think it mentioned an earthx battery in there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Different situation but I still have the stock 35A generator on my 1953 C180.
I like it & see no need to change to an alternator.
If I did, what I'd like to do is to install one of those tiny B&C alternators that mount on the vacuum pump pad.
I think it puts out plenty of juice for my minimal VFR-only needs.
But 1) it's too long, so there would be firewall clearance issues.
and 2) my experience is that the Seattle FSDO is not field approval friendly (!!) nowadays.

Back