• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Conical vs Dynafocal Engine Mount PA18 180 HP constant speed

I’m having trouble sourcing engine. May have to go Dynafocal engine mount PA18 180 HP. Does anyone have suggestions of issues if I change to Dynafocal engine mounts instead of conical engine mounts. What about thrust line modifications etc. mufflers. Performance in cruise and takeoff . All suggestions or ideas appreciated.

Stay away from the Dyna focal style. It may sound great on paper but it makes maintenance on the accessory case area more difficult.

Web

Thanks for that I know it’s not ideal. Do you think slicks would still fit. I’m in a bit of a bind as I’m going constant speed and cases are the hold up.

I would not consider anything but a dynafocal for a 180 Lycoming. They notoriously shake at idle, starting and stopping particularly if you don't understand how to shut it down. This can be corrected by using electronic ignition. If you have a certified -18 this https://www.surefly.aero is a certified electronic ignition. If experimental there are several choices.

A swing out mount addresses any maintenance issues.

Since you are still shopping the engine, try to find one with the governor mounted on the forward crankcase. You will be happier.

I would not consider anything but a dynafocal for a 180 Lycoming. They notoriously shake at idle, starting and stopping particularly if you don't understand how to shut it down. This can be corrected by using electronic ignition. If you have a certified -18 this https://www.surefly.aero is a certified electronic ignition. If experimental there are several choices.

A swing out mount addresses any maintenance issues.

Since you are still shopping the engine, try to find one with the governor mounted on the forward crankcase. You will be happier.
Pete, what is the proper shutdown technique for the 180?

IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0550.JPG

The 180 conical is what the customer brought for this build.

And a 8” lowered sq/backcountry mount. & cowl.

Looks like you might need to put a box in firewall for governor to fit. Looks to miss tubes

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_0549.JPG
    IMG_0549.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_0550.JPG
    IMG_0550.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 452
Pete, what is the proper shutdown technique for the 180?
Run the engine at 1000-1100 rpm.
Pull mixture to idle cut-off.
...Before the ignition stops firing
Immediately close and hold the throttle fully closed until engine stops.

You haven't had fun until you've hung a dynofocal engine by yourself! :)

Not many 180hp+ Cubs use conicals. None that I know. Exhaust should be no problem. No idea about zero thrust line as an add-on but experimental mounts pirated that mod years ago.

Last edited:
You haven't had fun until you've hung a dynofocal engine by yourself! :)

Not many 180hp+ Cubs use conicals. None that I know. Exhaust should be no problem. No idea about zero thrust line as an add-on but experimental mounts pirated that mod years ago.

You have a sick sense of fun. I got that pleasure a few months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a few cubs out there with conical O-360's and it seems to be a decent setup. It's on the CubCrafters 180hp STC if I recall.

A good friend has a conical O-360 and I have experience with the 180 horse dyanfocal cub that my brother and I share. The dynafocal sure is smooth but you can tell the engine likes to move at startup/shutdown. The Sutton exhaust beats the cowling hole up pretty good even with at least 1.5" clearance all the way around the pipe. My friend with the conical mount says his is smooth and riding along with him it doesn't seem to vibrate through the pedals or floor too badly. The dynafocal mounted engine runs like a sewing machine in cruise and transmits almost zero vibration back through the fuselage. I'm just curious how the conical engine mount will hold up over the long run with how bad the O-360 moves around when starting or shutting down.

Well the Jensen/Johnson STC used the conical mounts and they've been around for a couple of years. So it seems to hold up well. Like I said above, maintenance is just easier on a conical, so why make things harder on yourself?

Web

Back