• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Using self locking nuts on drilled shank bolts

Can you point to the exact section of AC43.13 that states this Gordon?
Well, I may have egg on my face. I can't seem to find a pertinent reference. I know I've read that stipulation somewhere - maybe not 43.13. Seems section 7-34 and following sections would apply. Anybody able to help clarify this?

Well, I may have egg on my face. I can't seem to find a pertinent reference. I know I've read that stipulation somewhere - maybe not 43.13. Seems section 7-34 and following sections would apply. Anybody able to help clarify this?
Yeah I can clarify it. It’s standard practice to use a bolt with a drilled shank and a self locking nut if a bolt without a drilled shank isn’t available. As Mike pointed out it’s slightly more expensive. But it moves things along.

Charlie
A&P/IA

Last edited:
Yeah I can clarify it. It’s standard practice to use a bolt with a drilled shank and a self locking nut if a bolt without a drilled shank isn’t available. As Mike pointed out it’s slightly more expensive. But it moves things along.

Charlie
A&P/IA
Agree. How can it possibly be wrong? But it still bugs me to find an official reference. Arlington and Toledo aren't that terribly distant - we should touch base one of these days.

"Here is another reminder about self-locking fiber nuts (reminders are sort of rules, too). Do not make a habit of using a self-locking fiber insert type of nut on a drilled bolt smaller than 5/16" in diameter. If you do use a drilled bolt, be sure that there are no burrs around the cotter pin hole that could tear into the elastic insert. Maybe they make too much of this rule but then again, who wants to drive around with slashed tires even if they do hold air?"

http://dad.walterfamily.org/rv/TonyBingelis/Are%20You%20Using%20Aircraft%20Hardware%20Correctly_.html

Agree. How can it possibly be wrong? But it still bugs me to find an official reference. Arlington and Toledo aren't that terribly distant - we should touch base one of these days.
I think we were both at the aviation trade show in Puyallup a few years ago. I ran into Eric there but didn’t see you. Stop by my hangar in Arlington sometime and check out my project. I am right next to the Castle & Cooke gas pump.

Piper did it when they moved from castle nuts to self locking nuts. After seeing some bolts in tension fail at the cotter pin hole I make sure I don't do it.

Piper did it when they moved from castle nuts to self locking nuts. After seeing some bolts in tension fail at the cotter pin hole I make sure I don't do it.
I too have seen that, but generally consider the bolt was too short for the application. As long as the cotter pin hole is outside of the threads of the nut even though inside the elastic stop, the bolt should not break.

I don't remember the application, many years ago on a warbird. I have a good collection of hardware so try and use the corresponding bolt to match the nut.

I don't remember the application, many years ago on a warbird. I have a good collection of hardware so try and use the corresponding bolt to match the nut.

Yeah I have a pretty good collection of hardware too. When I run across it I’ll try and change the hardware cause it hurts my eyes.

Today while torquing one of the three 1/4" drilled bolts between the two crankcase halves at the oil sump that get safety wired together.
IMG_20200923_104625.jpg
IMG_20200923_104645.jpg
IMG_20200923_091259.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200923_104625.jpg
    IMG_20200923_104625.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_20200923_104645.jpg
    IMG_20200923_104645.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20200923_091259.jpg
    IMG_20200923_091259.jpg