Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pa 18 dash

Post Thanks / Like

Pa 18 dash

Looking for ideas on a dash lay out show me your ideas

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh what a difference a decade makes!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E1E33989-63EE-45C0-8729-E13E18E0B37F.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	51051  
    Likes CamTom12, RVBottomly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That's like asking what's the best whiskey or who's the prettiest woman.

Biggest rule is DON'T OVER DO IT! Keep it simple and small. And the ONLY panel equipment that absolutely must be installed are the items called out on the TCDS. These are oil pressure, oil temp, tach, altimeter, airspeed, and 'magnetic heading instrument'. These items need to be certified primary instruments, so no experimental stuff for them. All other panel items are your choice.

My recommendations: CGR-30P for engine instruments. This will give you all of your engine instruments in one 3 1/8" hole. Winters altimeter and airspeed indicators as these units (see Wing & Wheels website) have light weight plastic cases, are available in 2 1/4" faces, and are used in certified gliders so meet the TCDS requirements. Winters also has a model with a 510º movement which gives wide spacing at the low speed markings.

A few other things to consider: Use a key switch with 'start' position instead of toggles and/or push buttons, as you can get all functions in a single mounting hole in the panel. Keep your switches and breakers in a single row along the lower edge of the panel. Use switch breakers for items such as lights to combine the switch and breaker functions into a single hole. Use the small faced avionics such as Becker or Trig as they mount like a small instrument into a hole in the panel. Remember that Cub panels were never designed for tray radios. I always recommend a stand alone intercom to go along with the radio.

As for the layout, the best I have used was designed by a HIGH time pilot up here. In your mind, imagine you're maneuvering in a Cub. Your left hand is on the throttle and your right hand is on the stick. If you place the PTT button on the stick, you can talk on the radio without moving your hands. If you slide your left hand off the throttle and straight forward, you should be able to punch the mixture knob to the full rich position. About 8" up the panel, place the carb heat knob. This arrangement allows you to control engine power with a minimum of hand movement. Another trick, from MCS Mike, is to place the key switch just above the primer. This allows you to push the primer while cranking the engine. And if you place the key/primer on the right side of the panel it frees up your left hand to control the mixture and throttle. Helps out on a hard starting engine or on cold days.

And don't forget at least some type of panel lighting. Check out the little LED units made by Whelen that mount on the left or right overhead panels and shine down on the instrument panel. One model has both red and white light in the same unit. Nice to fly with the red light but load/unload with the white light.

Get all of the info that you can and plan out your panel. Then re arrange it until you're happy that it will work well for you. Only then, start to cut metal.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.
    Thanks arcticairalaska, Charlie Longley thanked for this post
    Likes Toro liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_E0053.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	51052
    Buying parts is CHEATING!
    Likes stewartb, CamTom12, RVBottomly, motosix liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Paint white , night flying you want the instruments getting the light available.
    Sandy

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I'm more of a traditionalist. The ram mount in the middle keeps me from being tied to any particular magic screen.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200912_132953.jpeg 
Views:	152 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	51056

Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly what Web said.... IMHO He pointed out the key items. I would only add that I recently saw a Supecub with the airspeed way over on the right and the Altimeter way over on the left. It is just so non-standard that it could make it confusing when you need it to be intuitive. Dont get too creative is all i'm saying....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    . . . the airspeed way over on the right and the Altimeter way over on the left. It is just so non-standard that it could make it confusing when you need it to be intuitive. Dont get too creative is all i'm saying....
    Lol! Seen a couple of those.

With the CGR-30P and the small Altimeter and airspeed, you could leave those instruments in a cluster on the right, put the com, intercom, and even a transponder on the left, and have most of the center panel open. Gives you freedom to mount almost any kind of screen you like to fly with.

Web

Post Thanks / Like
    Here’s mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1F90EC50-327A-40FA-8BC0-8596928BE7F4.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	51061  
    Thanks jrussl thanked for this post
    Likes AkPA/18, jrussl, LMartin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflyer View Post
    Here’s mine.
    Could you educate me? The only electronic gauges I have are the EGT CHT and Horizon. You get your AirSpeed from the iPad? I haven't graduated to the cool stuff yet and don't understand most of it
    http://thrustline.com/

Takeoffs are optional--Landings are mandatory

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AkPA/18;782434]Could you educate me? The only electronic gauges I have are the EGT CHT and Horizon. You get your AirSpeed from the iPad? I haven't graduated to the cool stuff yet and don't understand most of it[/QUOTE

The original airspeed indicator is there on the left side, CGR-30P for engine info, Trig radio and transponder, Garmin 796 in the middle, original altimeter on the right, and an RC Allen digital attitude indicator.
    Likes jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I just saw that LOL for some reason I thought it was the combo oil temp pressure gauge. Obviously I should not be allowed to have the cool stuff LOL
    http://thrustline.com/

Takeoffs are optional--Landings are mandatory
    Likes RaisedByWolves liked this post

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some I’ve done. Probably outdated with all the new all in one stuff

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BrNDAhxKLyGwMpnQ9

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair View Post
    Here are some I’ve done. Probably outdated with all the new all in one stuff

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BrNDAhxKLyGwMpnQ9

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org
    You mean like that row of E.I. gauges? Now you can install a CGR-30 and have more functions than all of those gauges combined, lol. One of the good changes, in my opinion.

Web
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    7" tablet on left, Dynon D180 top center, Trig txn and radio bottom center. Standard width fuselage.

Name:	Panel Assembly Backside Tray v36.png 
Views:	151 
Size:	234.1 KB 
ID:	51062

Final installation came out very close to this model.
    Likes Bender liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The uninitiated could think we were talking about home theaters with all the screens on some of these panels. Less is more IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AkPA/18 View Post
    I just saw that LOL for some reason I thought it was the combo oil temp pressure gauge. Obviously I should not be allowed to have the cool stuff LOL
    I am with ya Mark, the cool stuff doesn’t seem to be as resistant to ejecting 3” mag empties bouncing off it. I guess I will never be cool but I hate things that are always needing a software update or give a different reading every startup, all I want is reliable info.

Eyes Above
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:	pa 18 panel.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	51073Recent panel used for fish spotting. 496 runs marine charts and has xm weather and music. Bottom Furuno is used to convert Lat/Lon to TDs. Both come out at the end of the season. The Garmin 175 gps feeds the G5’s. Audio panel supports two VHF marine radios mounted aft and controlled by ram mics mounted over head. Transponder has ADSB out. iPad is connected to the 175 for data and WiFi connected to a stratus ADSB-in portable receiver for traffic.Only regret is that I didn't upgrade the transponder to receive ADSB-in. That would eliminate one the portable Stratus with its charging cable. Thinking of trying iLevel BOM for ADSB-in. That would get rid of the stratus portable. I hate doing things twice. It would have been cheaper to get the more expensive ADSB- in transponder in the first place. CGR-30P is by far the best addition to the panel. Fuel use is accurate to 1/2 gallon on every fill up. Plane hold 68 gallons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeleary03844@gmail.com View Post

Name:	pa 18 panel.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	51073Recent panel used for fish spotting. 496 runs marine charts and has xm weather and music. Bottom Furuno is used to convert Lat/Lon to TDs. Both come out at the end of the season. The Garmin 175 gps feeds the G5’s. Audio panel supports two VHF marine radios mounted aft and controlled by ram mics mounted over head. Transponder has ADSB out. iPad is connected to the 175 for data and WiFi connected to a stratus ADSB-in portable receiver for traffic.Only regret is that I didn't upgrade the transponder to receive ADSB-in. That would eliminate one the portable Stratus with its charging cable. Thinking of trying iLevel BOM for ADSB-in. That would get rid of the stratus portable. I hate doing things twice. It would have been cheaper to get the more expensive ADSB- in transponder in the first place. CGR-30P is by far the best addition to the panel. Fuel use is accurate to 1/2 gallon on every fill up. Plane hold 68 gallons.
    I think it's safe to say that you and I have 'differing philosophies' on panel set ups.

But a couple of ideas for yours. G5's have built in GPS. The only time you need external GPS input is if you use the HSI version to display GPS NAV inormation. If not then they can be stand alone. Also, Becker Avionics has a single control head that can operate multiple coms. With multiple coms and limited panel space, this works well.

Web
    Last edited by wireweinie; 09-13-2020 at 03:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash, Jr. View Post
    The uninitiated could think we were talking about home theaters with all the screens on some of these panels. Less is more IMO.
    The only guys who knock it are guys who haven't tried it. The G3X Touch is far superior to round instruments. I'm sure Dynon is the same. Amazing, simple, and intuitive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Big difference between certified and experimental equipment available.

Web

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Off topic, are the garmin G5’s certified for airspeed replacement? Get rid of airspeed and altimeter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    The only guys who knock it are guys who haven't tried it. The G3X Touch is far superior to round instruments. I'm sure Dynon is the same. Amazing, simple, and intuitive.
    I too am a big fan of simple and intuitive

Name:	42090panel_edited.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	205.6 KB 
ID:	51093Click image for larger version. 

Name:	74968panel_edited.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	51094
    Likes LMartin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    Off topic, are the garmin G5’s certified for airspeed replacement? Get rid of airspeed and altimeter?

Attitude and HSI are the only certified versions.

Web

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	IMG_1344.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	619.0 KB 
ID:	51100

Name:	IMG_0238.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	216.0 KB 
ID:	51101

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...
    Likes 1934A, mike mcs repair, motosix, hottshot liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    "tHaT dAsH lOoKs To0 cOmPliCatEd"

...typed on a laptop via a wireless connection via HTTP across TCP/IP from your couch.

A single tablet and a single simple flat panel display (that replaces 19 different mechanical round gauges) is way less complicated than it looks. You might actually even like it?
    Likes stewartb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I love a big GPS screen mounted as high as possible (like the top pic in Farmboy post) This lets you keep an eye on the terrain map and look out with peripheral vision to avoid hard stuff. Low mounted GPS are fine if you know the area well or never scud run.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like

Pa 18 dash

Quote Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
    I love a big GPS screen mounted as high as possible (like the top pic in Farmboy post)
    DENNY
    Denny, I enjoyed that panel as well - those pics are both the same panel in my last cub.

What people tend to not notice in photos is the side cutouts for better 45deg vis.

Pb

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...
    Likes mike mcs repair, DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    iPad Mini w Targus rotatable mount (from Best Buy w covers removed)
    Appareo ADS-B transponder w Stratus II mounted on top of Appareo behind panel blank

Post Thanks / Like
    Current panel upgrade in process...
    The 275's wont fit as they just touch the cross bar.
    Replacing with G5's as a result.

Name:	IMG_0435.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	295.3 KB 
ID:	51124

Name:	IMG_0436.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	51125
    Last edited by 180TigerCub; 09-14-2020 at 09:21 AM. Reason: cant spell.
    180HP PA-18
    Likes Colorguns, AkPA/18 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    A little off subject because it is a PA-11 panel. I like simpleClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0089.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	51127

Post Thanks / Like
    Time to clean it up and a few upgrades too.

Name:	pa12 panel.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	238.6 KB 
ID:	51128
    Likes 180TigerCub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticairalaska View Post
    Paint white , night flying you want the instruments getting the light available.
    FWIW I don't think I've ever seen an airplane with a white panel.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here’s mine.
    How do you like that SIRS compass? I put one in a 172 this year. Seemed like a nice unit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Longley View Post
    How do you like that SIRS compass? I put one in a 172 this year. Seemed like a nice unit.
    Charlie, it doesn’t work worth a darn but that’s because of all of the metal that surrounds its, it’s only there for legal reasons. I imagine it would works great if it was in a different location though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Charlie, it doesn’t work worth a darn but that’s because of all of the metal that surrounds its, it’s only there for legal reasons. I imagine it would works great if it was in a different location though.
    No compass is going to point accurately, mounted right between two steel tubes. Move that SIRS compass up to the upper portion of the windshield, and it'll probably work fine. I've had two in that area, that both worked fine, one in a Cub, the other in a 170. Neither had stock compasses that worked anywhere near the panel.

MTV
    Likes LMartin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, I'm just going to throw this out there, folks. There are some interesting, and pretty nice looking panel designs in this thread.

One thing I'll add as a cautionary note, though:

If you mount ANYthing that protrudes from or above the instrument panel of a Cub, it could turn into a lethal instrument in an accident.

A good friend of mine was killed in a Super Cub many years ago. The proximate cause of death was a Garmin 90 that was embedded in his face. He had other injuries that likely would have killed him as well, but...... That Garmin 90 had been mounted on the left windshield post. The stall/spin ended in impact which threw him violently forward and left. The pilot was wearing seat belt and shoulder harness, but there's no way to know how tight they were. And, I'm not suggesting that he'd have survived if not for that GPS, but.....

A year ago, I was in a left turn lane in my Honda Ridgeline here in BZN, in line behind another car. I was hit from behind by a gent who drifted out of his lane, and impacted my car at about 50 mph.

My airbags did not fire....not sure why, but the only injuries I had were very sore ribs and hips from belts, and a very fat lower lip and left shoulder where I impacted the steering wheel. This apparently on impact with the car ahead.

My point is, your body becomes very fluid (your body is, in fact mostly fluids) and belts, even fairly tight ones, may not prevent your head and shoulders from coming quite a ways forward.

For that reason, I won't fly an airplane with "stuff" protruding from the instrument panel. Of course, your face may still come far enough forward so as to impact the instrument panel, but......why make it easier to impact installed equipment?

Please give this some thought when equipping your airplanes......GOOD shoulder harnesses and seat belts can save your life in an impact, but your body, in a severe impact, is going to move around a lot, belts or no.

MTV
    Thanks mam90, RVBottomly thanked for this post
    Likes Farmboy, behindpropellers liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	IMG_2558.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	51133

This is what I’m working on in mine at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Likes motosix, TxAgfisher liked this post