• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Mixture cable length

You need to be more specific. Mounted in instrument panel?? ,? Side panel?? Or???

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Carb heat on left side... directly in front of throttle for go round. Full throttle, then hand moves forward to shut off carb heat.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I NEVER put it there... carb heat goes there.

Even though piper put it there.

It should be on right side of panel by key switch & primer.. primer should also be below and slightly right of key switch
Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I’m sure you’ve discussed the mixture cable placement before, but why? Is it a routing issue or ergonomics/safety deal? Left side mixture placement for me makes sense when tweaking best mixture on a t/o roll or when forgetting to enrichen after extended overly lean ground ops. Switching hands on the stick or reaching across adds complication.

Carb heat on left side... directly in front of throttle for go round. Full throttle, then hand moves forward to shut off carb heat.

Also, when hand proping for starting, mixture close to door, rather than having to reach over through the cabin (especially on long gear and big tires).

Never put the mixture near the carb heat unless the control knobs are different shape or at least color. Too easy to select the wrong one when busy.

Gary

Isn’t the mixture usually full rich when hand propping....just wondering why it would matter where the mixture is ....right or left...cub panels are pretty narrow ....I guess the big gear and tires do make it a tough reach though. I can see that part....lots of cubs with the mag switch way up in left wing root too...usually J3s though. Seems like a personal preference in some cases, but it is an interesting thought. Maybe I’ll look over my new panel and consider some changes.

Safe way is idle mixture cutoff when propping then quick rich after start. Closer to door = quicker - especially when dodging big tires or standing on slippery skis or floats.

Gary

Interesting..,,I’ve never owned a plane with a starter in my 35 yrs of flying....and I’ve never had one with a mixture control either...lol...I’ve owned 2 cubs and 5 Taylorcraft....all had Strombergs with mixture full rich....my new cub has a starter and mixture control....lol. O200 with a marvel ....really hitting the big time.

just opinion.... Buy the long one, route for minimal bends/friction, and cut to length. No guesswork that way.

Interesting..,,I’ve never owned a plane with a starter in my 35 yrs of flying....and I’ve never had one with a mixture control either...lol...I’ve owned 2 cubs and 5 Taylorcraft....all had Strombergs with mixture full rich....my new cub has a starter and mixture control....lol. O200 with a marvel ....really hitting the big time.

Strombergs suck (best) when throttle closed so yea no power produced unless the throttle slips. Marvels like some throttle (~6-700 rpm preset) and prime via pump or primer especially when cold. Warm they start at idle sometimes if the prop is heavy enough to carry through a stroke.

Gary

Back