• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

AN bolt supplier

ron

Wanaka,NZ
Anyone out there know a supplier of long AN bolts for a Prince propeller.Unfortunately the bolts supplied were not of a standard we were happy with .The bolts we require are AN8H-53A.Seems very hard to source.Thanks.Ron.

Think they could be the supplier to Prince props.They are non certified bolts and probably zinc coated.The bolts corroded badly in the sockets.One sheered off on undoing bolts.This time it will be AN bolts!!

probably had nothing then!Mike your knowledge would probably lead me to a distributer of big AN bolts.Can you help please?

Also, Keep in mind "Prop Bolts" sometimes have a shorter thread area. I looked and could not find a drilled head -53. You may need to drill the head yourself. I'd like to see a picture of the Bolts that came with the prop.

will try and post a picture.Yes the thread on the bolts supplied have a longer thread but an An bolt would suffice as the lugs provided had a very short thread length.

I looked on the website, "stockmarket.aero"... It appears that Airfasco (you can Google them - they make a lot of the AN hardware for major suppliers but will sell to individuals) has 316 of them.
Jose

Well.. sorry. I went to Airfasco's website and they don't list any in stock. Spirit Aviation with 3 of them is the only lead I saw. Might be time to drill the heads yourself?

I have 5 good (+ one with buggered threads) 1/2" x I'd say -56 bolts, w/drilled head and more than 1.25" of thread. Believe they are Sabers though, head marking is somewhat like an F911

Hi Irishfield ,Thanks for your reply which we find interesting that one bolt has a damaged thread.Most of mine have damaged threads after withdrawing the rusted bolts from the lugs.One bolt actually broke of internally.The head marking is the same,I believe Sabers.My engineer suspects the threads are not rolled like the AN bolts.Would you agree?As to why the bolts rusted in the lugs we cannot fathom.Manufacturer says we installed them wet or we used thread lock.Certainly none of the above.As aircraft is always hangared in the driest environment in NZ we are at a loss to explain.Hence my reason to use AN bolts.Your thoughts?

I have 5 good (+ one with buggered threads) 1/2" x I'd say -56 bolts, w/drilled head and more than 1.25" of thread. Believe they are Sabers though, head marking is somewhat like an F911

Hi 46 cub.As per my letter thank you.They replied none in stock yet I saw that figure you quoted??!!
I looked on the website, "stockmarket.aero"... It appears that Airfasco (you can Google them - they make a lot of the AN hardware for major suppliers but will sell to individuals) has 316 of them.
Jose

Hi Irishfield ,Thanks for your reply which we find interesting that one bolt has a damaged thread.Most of mine have damaged threads after withdrawing the rusted bolts from the lugs.One bolt actually broke of internally.The head marking is the same,I believe Sabers.My engineer suspects the threads are not rolled like the AN bolts.Would you agree?As to why the bolts rusted in the lugs we cannot fathom.Manufacturer says we installed them wet or we used thread lock.Certainly none of the above.As aircraft is always hangared in the driest environment in NZ we are at a loss to explain.Hence my reason to use AN bolts.Your thoughts?
The thread section on the one is actually bent, like someone left it hanging holding everything. The other 5 are clean, zero corrosion and all roll true and a glass plate. I bought them years ago off Ebay as stock..

If all else fails and you are unable to get bolts with a hole in the head and you don't want to drill the hole, safety washers such as these would do the job.
BOLWSH13.jpg

https://www.moto-performance.co.uk/maintenance/tools/safety-lockwire-tab-washers/

Why not? The washers go under the heads anyway. These washer tabs are bent up around the flats on the bolts and each tab will be wired to the adjacent bolt's tab. Position the tab in the proper relationship for the safety wire to be in the tightening direction. The safety wire is just a secondary safety since the torque will hold the bolt under normal conditions.

This type of locking washer is sometimes used to safety connecting rod bolts in an engine among other uses.

Back