• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

BasicMed and Big Brother

So what's the takeaway.... there haven't been enough crashes to determine if Basic Med is flawed? Kinda like shooting down a UFO to see if it's friendly.

This is disturbing, Stewart, but not surprising. I know that AOPA has been preparing for the attacks from many sides and I would bet there will be more to come. Thanks for posting this.

Randy

Your tax dollars at work. Incredible. Wait until they look at Sport Pilot. I’m Basic Med now but from 2005 until 2017 I was Sport Pilot. When I didn’t renew my medical in 2005, FAA had no idea if I gave up flying, died or was flying 200 hours a year in my Legend Cub. They also had no idea if I had a Valid Driver License or if I had it suspended or revoked.

I read the NTSB accident reports weekly. I see no trend in accidents by Basic Med regardless of the cause. I see a few where the pilot who held a valid FAA medical had a level of drugs in their system that would have knocked out Sea Biscuit.

Rich

I didn't read every word. Don't forget - there are a lot of folks being paid to study stuff and generate paperwork.

I did not know having a driver's license was a requirement of BasicMed. I did know Sport Pilot requires one.

Your tax dollars at work. Incredible. Wait until they look at Sport Pilot. I’m Basic Med now but from 2005 until 2017 I was Sport Pilot. When I didn’t renew my medical in 2005, FAA had no idea if I gave up flying, died or was flying 200 hours a year in my Legend Cub. They also had no idea if I had a Valid Driver License or if I had it suspended or revoked.

I read the NTSB accident reports weekly. I see no trend in accidents by Basic Med regardless of the cause. I see a few where the pilot who held a valid FAA medical had a level of drugs in their system that would have knocked out Sea Biscuit.

Rich

They won’t look at Sport Pilot. That wasn’t forced on them by Congress. The FAA despises ANYthing that “wasn’t invented here”. Look at the ELT, another Congressional mandate. FAA could care less about them.

But this one (Basic Med) pissed them off. So they’ll take any opportunity to slam it.

MTV

One of the concerns that I continue to have is the outright efforts by the FAA and their likeminded organizations (CAMA, Airline Pilots Assn and the like) to do anything they can to attribute any aircraft accident with BasicMed.

Can you imagine that?

Yeah, me, too. It seems to be the season for falsely attributing adverse events to medical conditions (read pandemic, but please don't start this thread on the trajectory to censorship) and it is all well and good as long as the end justifies the means.

I continue to feel that our investment in AOPA and writing our representatives and senators is very valuable.

Randy

You guys need to read the paper. The FAA isn’t the author or the enemy. I found the IG comments interesting in that they’re more about government control than flying. The part about the FAA’s inability to prevent an unqualified pilot from flying was curious. So was the part about a pilot can go fly the minute he passes the online course. Whoever wrote it doesn’t know much about the aeromedical process or BasicMed.

I agree - curious. They don't track anybody unless some event happens. You can go out and fly with an expired medical as easily as you can with a flawed BasicMed or an expired driver's license.

And you would be amazed at how many foks forget the flight review and annual inspection. The big downside isn't the FAA; it's your insurance coverage!

You guys need to read the paper. The FAA isn’t the author or the enemy. I found the IG comments interesting in that they’re more about government control than flying. The part about the FAA’s inability to prevent an unqualified pilot from flying was curious. So was the part about a pilot can go fly the minute he passes the online course. Whoever wrote it doesn’t know much about the aeromedical process or BasicMed.

Stewart, this document was prepared by the DOTs IG office. That would be the IG with oversight of the FAA. And, where do you think this IG got its information from? The FAA, of course. This was a response to Congress, and the way those work is the IG sends it to the responsible agency within the Department, then audits and presents “their” findings.

MTV

Seriously, unless someone complains or you are charging money for flights and the word gets around, your chances of being asked to show any credentials is about nil, especially if you fly off a small backwater airport.

At some point in my life I can see ignoring all the requirements and flying alone when and how I want. What they going to do, take my license away that is no longer valid??

Was not long ago that the Airline guy had a heart attack in the cockpit during approach.

A few years ago, a fellow I knew visited his Doc for his medical. Afterwards at the bottom of the stairs on the way out the door, he had a stroke.

A class mate of mine was the copilot on a flight in a L-1011 when then captain went west.

Yes, it does occasionally happen, but not often.

Back