• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Stinson 108

Taledrger

SPONSOR
SW Michigan
Anyone have any Stinson 108 experience? Have a friend/student, that just bought one and needs some Dual.. I've never been in one and not having success finding anyone local that can help.. I've done training in 170/180/185 Cessnas, lots of SuperCub and other TW Pipers but never in one of these. Just wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what to expect..

My first experience after newly minted was a 108-3 with the 0435. It is very well behaved, albeit heavy, and sinks without power much like a 182. Put a couple hundred hours on it and felt it was a great flying plane with no nasty habits. My instructor and I thought it was a good first plane. I will admit we thought it may be different with the Franklin, possibly underpowered, but we base at 5200msl. YMMV.

Had one with a 180 Franklin and C/S prop. Climbed like a 180. Cruised like a Cub, only more gas. But really classy. Last I heard it was in Valdez.

Oh -missed the first post. Docile airplane if the gear is straight. If you can fly a Cub you can fly a Stinson. Limit on xwind for the -3 is around 13 kts, probably because of that immense fin. And those seats are almost as dangerous as 180 seats -make sure they are locked.

Check the gear with a measuring tape - look for no difference front to back on the tires.

Anyone have any Stinson 108 experience? Have a friend/student, that just bought one and needs some Dual.. I've never been in one and not having success finding anyone local that can help.. I've done training in 170/180/185 Cessnas, lots of SuperCub and other TW Pipers but never in one of these. Just wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what to expect..
Long ago I bought a Swift, having flown nothing more high performance than a Taylorcraft with my Private pilot certificate. I asked one of my older mentors to check me out. His response was "You know how to fly, check yourself out." So I did, and have been checking myself out ever since in more different airplane types than I can remember.
Later a fellow bought and had delivered a Stinson V-77 Reliant. None of the instructors active at the field would fly with him, saying they had never flown one. He asked me If I could check him out. I also had never flown one. My response was "Sure, let me check myself out first" So I did and we did. It was just another airplane.

Stinson made fine airplanes, check yourself out and teach your student how to fly it. You will gain experience together.

My Stinson time was years ago and all I relly remember was it was straight forward and flew really well with 4 adults.

I love Stinsons. My brother had one when we lived in Alaska and it was a great flying airplane that performed pretty well. I have a -2 that’s about 75% through restoration. Not sure we’ll be able to get it finished before I relocate so may end up selling it which is disappointing...

My neighbor only had Mooney time that was 10 years old. He bought a 165hp one sight unseen from TAP and made the guy deliver it to a 2500' grass strip not far from me. I flew over and saw it tied down by the hangar, and the tire tracks it made landing and taxing to the tie downs. Flew over next day and saw new tracks that were only one way and plane was still tied down. Got home and called the neighbor and asked how it flew, he denied flying it. I said " I saw the tracks in the grass" . He says I don't have any TW time, no medical, no BFR and haven't flown in 10 years" . " I thought I would just go taxi around and the damn thing took off, took me and hour to get up the nerve to go back and land". I jumped in it the next day and did a couple TO and landing and then flew abound with him for an hour or two. He had about 10 hrs solo in it when he flew it down to get his TW endorsement and BFR

Glenn

I've owned a couple of 108-1 Stinsons over the years. Well behaved planes. About the only drawback is the lack of crosswind capability due to the big vertical stab and small rudder. Otherwise, they are a really well mannered aircraft.

-Cub Builder

I know a guy,.......with a 108-3 that flies out of 24C. Lot of hours in a 108. Not a CFI. He might be willing to fly it a little.

If anyone has interest in a project 108-3 I know where there is one, actually 3 separate airframes. Two are complete with lots of extra parts and pieces - dual controls, metal ailerons. 3 Franklin engines. PM me.

Back