• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Experimental PA18 Widebody Inspection Panels

Any ideas
how many
what size
what type
where to buy
where to put inspection Panels
for ease and inspection ideas all much appreciated. Diagrams of wing and fuselage placement even better. How many do I need best type and what sizes. Any suggestions appreciated.

I would do a 3 part boot cowl and put all the wiring in with the dash and boot cowl in place. That will solve about 70 percent of fuselage access issues. Make sure front inside panels are low enough to remove easy, Tail metal belly.
DENNY

These are the drawing for grommet placement and cable exits from Piper. The only thing I do different is add a tail clean out panel from under the jackscrew to the tail post. I also leave the lower longeron and bottom of the tail post uncovered and put an nspection panel on the left and right side of the bottom elevator cable instead of just the left like Piper did. I can't think of anything on the wide body that would be different or need access.

http://www.supercub.org/photopost/showfull.php?photo=15354

http://www.supercub.org/photopost/showfull.php?photo=15351

Look at your wings and place appropriate rings where you'll need access in the next 30 years. Pulleys, bell cranks, fuel connections, pitot connection, magnetometer, etc. I have inspection rings on the bottom and top of my wings and some on the airframe. Fewer than half are cut out. I keep a box of painted inspection covers on the shelf for future use.

FWIW I don't have a single one of those goofy round covers. All of mine screw on. Thank you Mike for that!

Last edited:
I second Stewart’s suggestion. I put a LOT of inspection panels on my SQ-2. A good portion aren’t cut out (yet). When I need access to something I’m ready!

Get a set of the aluminum inspection ring grommets from Steve Pierce or make your own. You won't need to increase the size of the screws,...as often.

Jim

Yup everywhere you might need to get to. Just don’t cut them out unless need.

Univair sells sheets of nitrate that I make custom size inspection rectangles or whatever shape and size

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Back