Thread: Wisdom of Friends No longer Here

Post Thanks / Like

Wisdom of Friends No longer Here

Years have passed since I built the Multi sourced hangar at the WAD. The frame came from Maryland as an old roller skating rink from a member here on SC.Org. Just before I ordered the doors I was contacted by the man in Crocs Cajun Joe. He told me to have the door as 12 feet high. I told him my frame was below 11 at the eaves. No worry he said mount the door so you have as high as possible in the middle. Even if the building frame shows at the edges. He said one day you may need to get a cub in on Amphibs.
    Well Cajun Joe has been gone for years but a couple of weekends back we hung Tom Fords Cub on a set of EDO Amphibs. With almost 10” to spare above the rudder. She went in and out of the hangar without issue. It brought a smile to my face remembering the man responsible.
    So this website proved one thing. Knowledge is gained from old friends.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a well preserved body but rather to slide in sideways, well used up proclaiming "WOW What a Ride"
    Thanks Steve Pierce, FdxLou, TirolCub thanked for this post
    Likes Taledrger, RVBottomly, Amy, windy, AkPA/18 and 20 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I told the story just the othe day of Joe, his bent rudder, a slde hammer and the web of skin between his thumb and pointer finger.

It is interesting to think back of where I learned things and how many folks here helped with that and unfortunatley some are no longer here.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Thanks 62E thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It is interesting to think back of where I learned things
    No kidding. So many then-oldtimers who shared. Haven't figured out all that much on my own, in comparison.
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Each one of us is a sum total of the guys that came before us.

For me the main guy is Larry. I was a pretty good troubleshooter when I worked with him, but Larry put a lot of details together in my head. He taught me the finer points of terminating wires, assembling connectors, tooling for connectors/terminals, etc. I learned decades worth of education in just a couple of seasons. Then I realized that HE had learned from others he had worked with from before, and so on.

Now when I try to teach a new concept to someone, they are benefiting from me, Larry, and his teachers.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man. Mr. Lowe (engineer neighbor as a kid), Mr.Gurling (tool and die maker & expert at most anything mechanical - and boyscout leader neighbor as a kid), Mr Miller (pal's engineer dad as a kid), Mr. Wier (tech at engineering school), Mr. Joynt (tech at engineering school), Prof Murphy (teacher and technically gifted in engineering school), Joe (competitor in the machine shop business in Juneau), Carl (retired boat-builder in Juneau), Clarence (draft horse expert here in Wa), Ben, Andy, Dale, etc (superbly experienced and talented pilots here in Wa), Wally, Bill, Steve (super-knowledgeable and helpful mechanically here in Wa) - the list has no end.
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)
    Likes tedwaltman1, Flying Miss Daisy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I learned a lot from my Dad but I seemed to be a slow learner about things I thought I could get away with. And boy did he have a big hand!
    Likes tedwaltman1, 40m, Flying Miss Daisy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Even Neil Armstrong learned from his old neighbor Mr Gorski. .

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes tedwaltman1, Farmboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    As a kid growing up in Anchorage, a fellow named Dave Evanson lived in the neighborhood, I learned a lot from him as well as from my dad.

Kurt
    Last edited by G44; 09-03-2020 at 09:51 AM.
    Likes Flying Miss Daisy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Think of the knowlodge gained from Steves Cub Rebuilding Seminars. Steve is the closest to a reference manual and hands on fixer, of any one I have ever had the pleasre of knowing.
    Likes Speedo, windy, flybynite, stid2677 liked this post