• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA12 Cruiser rebuild/upgrade project

Yeah, that's a stinker. I used the Sullivan STC, and ended up moving things a little bit. If I recall correctly, I moved the flap bellcrank a little. I also installed a fairlead for one of the aileron cables, cuz just couldn't get it to clear otherwise.

I talked to Dakota Cub today and they are going to send me a pair of 10703-03's. Using the 10703-04's at the inboard flap hinge point would require rib relocation or severe modification to clear the bell-crank and control rod, the bell-crank stop would be so high that the front aileron cable requires rerouting or guides, the flap control rod would hit the rear aileron cable requiring cable rerouting or guides. The 10703-03 should have a lower spar attach point preventing most of these problems. We'll see.

Ordering aluminum sheets for the leading edge and false spar tomorrow. 2024T3, .020 leading edge outside fuel tanks, .025 false spar outside fuel tanks.

Tomorrow we are looking at the annual tear down on a nice O235/PA12 me and some friends plan to buy. Four way partnership with some neighbors. Will be ours if all airworthiness items are repaired and flies well. Will be fun. Pics soon.

George

It very important that you line up the trailing edge of the aileron and flap so you have a perfectly straight line from the root to the outboard aileron rib. Take some time and make it perfect. The flap belcrank needs to go all the way up against the spar cap not how it’s shown on the plans. Remember the flap hinges should be lower than the aileron hinges when viewed from the rear. You will need to fabricate some fairlead mounted on the flap hinge for the aileron cables to keep them clear. I’ve used a round piper fairlead or it can be done with phenolic like a -14.

Those hinges have the exact same spar attachment point and angle. The difference is is bracket that is attached to the false spar. Look at the univair part numbers.

Measure 10 times before you cut once. The flap hangar attach point can be easily misaligned and the correct spot only half a bolt shank away. No one want unused lightening holes in the spar there.

.. Remember the flap hinges should be lower than the aileron hinges when viewed from the rear. Y...

that depends on if you are following the day & night STC and using PA-18 AILERONs as flaps(swaped side to side.. horrible!!), or if you had real flaps made(with proper TWIST) with real flap hinges on them.... they are a different hight...

it's all a cluster f*&^k..... the STC & drawings are horrible... use common sense to do it better!(like piper's pa-14 installation)

Flew the new PA12 home today. Need to get the CFI checked out with 10 hours. Two partners need CFI checkouts and the other has 17 in type, but needs a tailwheel endorsement. A few small squawks and figuring out the plane. 5B79E853-206B-430C-B125-9ED5B4DE2107.jpeg

Attachments

• 5B79E853-206B-430C-B125-9ED5B4DE2107.jpeg
    5B79E853-206B-430C-B125-9ED5B4DE2107.jpeg
    253 KB · Views: 351
A PA12 is so much more attractive than an 18, don’t you think?

It’s like comparing women: 12s have more meat on their bones, whereas 18s appear skinny and scrawny.

Time Machine? Did you say Time Machine?:wink:

Attachments

• F7A0B298-1B6D-4D12-B374-6E3E88E2F8FC.jpeg
    F7A0B298-1B6D-4D12-B374-6E3E88E2F8FC.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 205
Beautiful ! I think I saw that Travel Air at Phillips field in 1981 on floats. It had a R-985 on the nose.
Indeed, you did see it and yes, has a 985 up front. It’s been in Fairbanks continuously for at least 40+ years. This pic was taken just after restoration and about the time it was presented at the Airmen’s Trade Show in ANC. It’s now back on floats and currently in storage awaiting another summer. The water here is about to get hard for 6-7 months.
Sorry for the brief thread hijack. Back to the PA-12 build!

Not much done on the old Cruiser. Right wing: tank fit, flap bell crank bracket fit and drilled, flap hangars figured out, butt rib relocated. Waiting for new aileron trailing edges to fit everything. Too many projects.

The new "red" cruiser is doing well. All owners now checked out and our low time pilot tail wheel endorsed. We have more hours in the last two months than the plane had the last two years. The elevator, with out counter balance, is much heavier than my old O290 cruiser and the panel was modified really tall which makes instructing challenging. Lots of cheap fun.

We have a balanced set of PA18 tail feathers we would like to install and try out. Is there a simple avenue to do install without a 337 or a stand alone STC that does not go with an engine upgrade, etc. I have been searching with no luck.

George

PA-18 tail feathers on a PA-12

STC SA5-33 Contact Anne Wilbur (907)-250-2641 http://www.fadodge.com/documentation/stcs/

https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgSTC.nsf/0/a5b71d2dc30a1e9786257fed0058db97/$FILE/SA5-33.pdf

PA-18 tail feathers on a PA-12

STC SA5-33 Contact Anne Wilbur (907)-250-2641 http://www.fadodge.com/documentation/stcs/

https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgSTC.nsf/0/a5b71d2dc30a1e9786257fed0058db97/$FILE/SA5-33.pdf

That is what I was looking for. All my searches were unsuccessful. Is it a Super Cruiser, Cruiser, 12, -12, PA12, PA-12, etc.

Thanks,
GM

No real progress on the project (ran) 12, but worked on the new (red) 12 this weekend. Intalled new bungees and pa18 tailfeathers.

-The red 12 had two large diameter bungees of unkown capacity on each side that were several years old. The plane wollowed on taxi and squated on landing. After contemplation it was desided to install 3 regular 1080's per side. My tan 12 had 3 HD1280's per side and was very stiff. Easy job with two people, except inadequate room for the bungee tool. Will slightly modify the new project fuselage to make things easier. The plane now feels firm on taxi and landing.

-A pa18 tail STC was purchased for the red plane and the tail feathers from the tan plane installed. The red plane had a stock tail: heavy in pitch when manuvering out of trim and very tail low when on slow approaches. My tan plane had to be trimmed for any power change, but flew better. Test flew with the new tail and there is a large improvement. Can easily be flown out of trim, stick forces are noticably lighter. When trimmed for 55 mph visability over the nose is noticably better, the pitch attitude is lower for the same speed. Worthy improvement for any pa12, regardless of engine installed.

GM

Last edited:
Back