• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Square wing? Or more aesthetically formed original wing tip?

jokerswe2008

Hi,
what is your opinion? Square- or classic wingtips? I choose to use the original wingtip in my Alaska rebuild cub due to looks. What performance gain did I miss?
/Joe

From a purely aesthetics standpoint, you can't beat the original wing tip bows. It just looks "right" on a Cub! There may be performance gains by going to the square wing tips, but they ain't for me. If I wanted them I'd buy a Husky!! :lol:

From a purely aesthetics standpoint, you can't beat the original wing tip bows. It just looks "right" on a Cub! There may be performance gains by going to the square wing tips, but they ain't for me. If I wanted them I'd buy a Husky!! :lol:
Couldn’t obviously agree more :)/J.

Are you experimental or certified? I recently did some wing tip experiments. My conclusion was that the shape of the original is the most efficient. However the extra wing area of the squared wing tips provide better lift with the associated increased performance. My suggestion would be to lengthen your wings using the original rounded shape. A combination of the two.

Are you experimental or certified? I recently did some wing tip experiments. My conclusion was that the shape of the original is the most efficient. However the extra wing area of the squared wing tips provide better lift with the associated increased performance. My suggestion would be to lengthen your wings using the original rounded shape. A combination of the two.

If I groundloop..I’ll consider your advice with the longer wings.
I also got the certified 2-hanger Keller flaps (first in Europe!).
It is hard to find out what is the best options with so many available STC:s.
My aircraft is certified obviously.
/Joe

.. My suggestion would be to lengthen your wings using the original rounded shape. A combination of the two.

sounds like your next test tips.....

be pretty simple using aluminum... especially if you use alum tube for round tip... then pop rivet to that..

sounds like your next test tips.....

be pretty simple using aluminum... especially if you use alum tube for round tip... then pop rivet to that..
I was thinking of something along these lines. Fairly simple sheet metal work.
US5039032-drawings-page-5.png

Same question re C180/185 wingtips.
I really like the stock, formed aluminum rounded tips of the early models,
and dislike the look of the droop and/or Hoerner style tips.

Back