• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Flying with a dog?

hawgdrvr

FL001
Hello, newbie here, FX3 on order for next year. I have a 10mo yellow lab "Elli" that I would love to be my copilot / backseater. I am very interested in learning about flying with a dog and how others go about this, tips on introducing them, ear protection, securing, etc. And of course I'd love to see any pictures people care to share. This is not limited to CubCrafters but I figured I'd start here.

Thank you.

Hello, newbie here, FX3 on order for next year. I have a 10mo yellow lab "Elli" that I would love to be my copilot / backseater. I am very interested in learning about flying with a dog and how others go about this, tips on introducing them, ear protection, securing, etc. And of course I'd love to see any pictures people care to share. This is not limited to CubCrafters but I figured I'd start here.

Thank you.

Dogs are always welcome in my back seat and apparently like it as they’re always ready to go. Had a Blue Heeler that would really get excited viewing deer, antelope, turkeys or what ever was out there but he couldn’t handle 2 G’s. He be intent on following the deer and when I’d load the airplane up with a hard turn, his legs would collapse. He’d recover quite rapidly and ready to attack the next one! Never had one get sick. Can’t say the same for some other PAX!

Sarpy Sam

Take our dogs in various types of aircraft on a regular basis. Never had to worry about something so loud that I would try to make some ear protection for them.
I think a good comfortable place is important. I have built quick retrofit light weight simple platforms across multiple seats in some aircraft for a good comfortable stable place to be. After a bit they are prone to sleep and a single seat is not sufficient for a large dog to lay down and be comfortable. A platform across two seats (and extending to the sides all the way and out over the designed leg and knee area) is large enough for two dogs to settle in comfortably though.
Start out with short trips and it's gotta be a positive experience of course. Sometimes I like to get them exercised a bit before a trip of an hour plus, seems to help them settle in and get with the program.
Have not experimented with an 18 or a 12 in this regard but I would imagine the back seat area and/or baggage could be retrofitted nicely.

Took my little brittany spaniel, Piper, on her first flight yesterday. She's not real big (30lbs) but after putting the stick cover on the front stick (J3, solo from rear) she had just enough front seat and stick cover to stand/lay on. She really didn't like sitting still until we started moving then she sat right down and just looked out the windows. Takeoff had her up and standing and nervous but level cruise she was okay. Landing she really didn't like at all and she was ready to get out of the plane just as soon as the engine was off. Next time I might try putting her in the rear seat and throw a couple bags of lead shot back there so the plane balances fine.

To get her ready I just would sit her in the front seat while the plane was off and tied down and give her a couple treats and some pets with the plane sitting there to connect the plane to getting rewarded. Did that a on a few occasions before going flying and then put her back in the truck before starting up. Aircraft Spruce had mutt muffs in her size in stock so I grabbed a set and I think that really helped with getting her comfortable with the engine running.

All you can do is go for it and see how your dog does, they all react different. Do a little taxi back and forth and see the dog's reaction, do a run up to see how your dog reacts to engine noise and after that it's a leap of faith. The main scare would be if the dog fell on the floor and got tied up in the pedals or stick so if you can get a stick cover or at least remove the rear stick that's a start. Not sure what to do about the pedals but at least you can fly level but uncoordinated safely while you get your dog out of the pedals. Getting the stick stuck forward with a dog against it would be real bad news.

I use a harness tied to the seatbelt for my Lab. She tolerates the mutt muffs well. I would say she tolerates flying to get to fun destinations. E106AA04-D64B-4F46-AE1B-C36A8F48B8CE.jpg85076985-88EB-4CD4-9465-B302C6E27673.jpg

Attachments

• E106AA04-D64B-4F46-AE1B-C36A8F48B8CE.jpg
    E106AA04-D64B-4F46-AE1B-C36A8F48B8CE.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 208
  • 85076985-88EB-4CD4-9465-B302C6E27673.jpg
    85076985-88EB-4CD4-9465-B302C6E27673.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 201
robsipad2 327.jpg

Reagan, as energetic as any proper gsp, yet as mellow as it gets in the airplanes. Loves flying.

Attachments

• robsipad2 327.jpg
    robsipad2 327.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 172
When I was in my twenties, I had a female yellow lab that went everywhere with me. She would ride in the SuperCub's baggage compartment on top of my suitcase without any restraint. I would not fly with the door open, but other than that it was normal flying. She was a perfect companion and a great birddog. Now, starting my fifties, I have two vizslas that love to fly in the Caravan. I would not trust (and have not trusted) either one of them in the Cub. I have dove hunt next week and I would love to bring my female for her superior retrieving ability, but she won't stay still enough in the back for a safe flight (she is almost 8, so she won't grow out of her bad behavior.)

Dogs love airplanes because airplanes never stop at the vet's office. My dogs know that each flight will end at some place they will want to be. I laugh when the dogs stare intently out of the window at altitude. Do they have a clue what they are looking at?

CB29BB62-B4FE-49D8-B19B-1B3EC7992DA4.jpg

Cub bumps the throttle a little bit sometimes and always slobbering on the windows. I take the rear stick out and don’t let him jump in or out of the plane. I always wonder what he’s thinking being that high up.

Are these mutt muffs a real thing or a gimmick?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• CB29BB62-B4FE-49D8-B19B-1B3EC7992DA4.jpg
    CB29BB62-B4FE-49D8-B19B-1B3EC7992DA4.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 173
There's nothing special about flying with a dog. The bottom line is, you could be riding a unicycle, a pogo stick, or a skate board, and if there is a way, they will want to go with you. I would bet anything that shortly after, like 20 minutes, the first wheeled conveyance of any sort was slapped together, a cro-magnum dog jumped on it. My own mutt, just in the last hour, got to ride in the flat-bed, the 4 wheeler, and the car, it's all good to them. If I had a submarine, he'd want to ride along. I once asked a rancher friend how long it took him to train his 4 or 5 cattle dogs (it looked like a clown car) to jump on the 4 wheeler with him, knowing in advance his answer, "they figured it out themselves!"

Last edited:
1E3F4766-DAA0-497F-8B44-2B7F3652D002.jpgEA4F1CD0-F000-47C5-BFC8-CF8AE8AB1CA5.jpgI Have found that dogs fly fine but like to do something fun at the end of each flight. They should be harnessed.

Attachments

• 1E3F4766-DAA0-497F-8B44-2B7F3652D002.jpg
    1E3F4766-DAA0-497F-8B44-2B7F3652D002.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 189
  • EA4F1CD0-F000-47C5-BFC8-CF8AE8AB1CA5.jpg
    EA4F1CD0-F000-47C5-BFC8-CF8AE8AB1CA5.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 219
All 148 pounds of him loves to fly. He will pout for days if he does not get to go. IMG_20190604_081605.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190604_081605.jpg
    IMG_20190604_081605.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 178
If this darn wind lays down the newest addition will get his first plane ride tomorrow. A new chapter begins.

Attachments

• 85E62099-A362-4E3C-A002-63D6A0E70DC5.jpg
    85E62099-A362-4E3C-A002-63D6A0E70DC5.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 207
Back