• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

WAD SOUTH 2020 is happening!

ESAS

FRIEND
Greenville pa
The Meades have graciously handed over the WAD to new hands. New year, new location, new strips. SAME GREAT friends, fun, and FLYING!

October 8th - October 11th @ Greenville Municipal Airport (4G1) in Greenville, Pennsylvania

Your hosts will be FBO owners, Jason and Jamie Schiestle and their flying friends! We are also joining forces with John Graham, Greg Swingle, and the Ohio Bush Planes. Greenville Airport is our home away from home and we welcome you!

Camping is available on our 170 acres! A 5-minute drive will get you to local hotels and a Wal Mart SuperCenter in town. Courtesy cars are available.

This year's fly-outs will be around Western Pennsylvania, Southern Ohio, and West Virginia. You will get to enjoy a view of farm fields, rolling hills, and the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains.

Highlights include:
Adams Mills, OH - The birthplace of Ohio Bush Planes

Shanksville 911 Memorial
Cheat River, WV
homemade ice cream

Will post more details and the registration link with WAD shirt order form soon.

Awesome! Such great news. Have never made and original WAD but looking forward to going back up to 4G1!

Great News!!!
I saw the advance team working with OBP to find some great places. Look forward to seeing everyone.
Time to start posting it in the RAFNE and see if we can get a FB page going.
John

I heard Tool Time Tim will come to this WAD South as well. Now we need Glen Guilfoyle to stop being a stick in the mud.:roll:

I’ve got a special spot already marked out for Glenn. It would be a shame if he didn’t come and use it!

The bushwheels are in motion full force! If you would like to order WAD shirts, please fill out the registration form by Friday. Also, Pre registering for the WAD helps us plan for food. We’ve had a great response so far! Special requests to be treated better than Peter B. and other such items have been noted. ;)

Cant wait to see you all!

jason and jamie

The bushwheels are in motion full force! If you would like to order WAD shirts, please fill out the registration form by Friday. Also, Pre registering for the WAD helps us plan for food. We’ve had a great response so far! Special requests to be treated better than Peter B. and other such items have been noted. ;)

Cant wait to see you all!

jason and jamie
I am registered and shirt ordered. Should we put a Post on the Facebook Page RAF NE as well?

Meals provided:
Thursday pizza
Friday & Saturday breakfast and dinner at Greenville

We have wonderful friends providing lunch en route for us, picnic style, since restaurants are closed/limited

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Registration is always open. However, the shirt order has been placed. We ordered a few extras that will be sold on a first come, first serve basis at the WAD.

We will be posting 4G1 arrival/parking maps the week of the event. Route maps are triple top secret...mostly because they aren't finished yet.... ;) Please pray for good weather and no TFRs around Pittsburgh!

IMG_3390.jpgIMG_3392.jpgHere are the parking maps. Blue is blacktop. Green is turf. We have a lot of planes registered. So, pack 'em in tight.

Attachments

• IMG_3390.jpg
    IMG_3390.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_3392.jpg
    IMG_3392.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 628
Parking Notes: BRING YOUR OWN TIE DOWNS
Think about if you want to be right along the grass strip, which is going to be a “busy/noisy” place to camp or if you’d rather have some privacy/social distance, a little farther from the social areas. Also, maybe you plan to camp in a little group with some of your friends who are attending? Parking will be first come, first serve. Airport tent campers will have priority to grass spots.

FRIDAY ROUTE:
We have 65 planes registered. Expecting more to show up. We are absolutely delighted that you all are trusting us with this beloved event! We need people to group up, fly with like airplanes, stagger arrivals and departures along the routes and possibly do routes in reverse. details provided at morning meeting

After you pack your brown paper lunch bag with chips, drink, and cookies (provided), Depart Greenville Municipal Airport (4G1) — Arrive Sloas Airfield (80OH) Warren, OH to visit the Ernie Hall Aviation museum — Arrive Herron Airport (7G1) in Cumberland, WV...does the runway cross over the roadway or the roadway cross over the run way? You decide! — Arrive to private island on the Cheat River in Rowlesburg, WV for hot dogs over a fire thanks to John and Deb Graham! Hopefully we will have some locals there to fly us around the area for the afternoon. — On the way back to 4G1, fly the pattern over the Flight 93 Memorial near Somerset County airport. — Arrive back at 4G1 for dinner at 6pm (flexible). Printed route maps with fuel stops will be distributed at the morning meeting. Safe Flying!!!!

Saturday schedule?

What is the event schedule for Saturday? Sunday?

Not enough daylight to get there til midday Friday.

george

Saturday is a route to Ohio. There is no schedule from us for Sunday. Most people will be heading home Sunday.

To Jason, Jamie, and all the people who worked hard to put Wad South together. You folks hit it out of the park on your first time up!

You made a lot of airplane nuts very happy. I heard one gentleman comment (I think he was a WAD first timer) say that this was the best time he ever had with an airplane and maybe ever.

Everything you've done was really appreciated.

I have not heard much about this event, but what I have heard is that it was fantastic! Looking forward to seeing some pictures and hearing the details!

sj

It was as Waldo stated.

I only wish I could have stayed longer and done more. But it lit the fire to do it again next year.

I hope those that attended donated enough to cover their expenses.

Pb

To Jason, Jamie, and all the people who worked hard to put Wad South together. You folks hit it out of the park on your first time up!

You made a lot of airplane nuts very happy. I heard one gentleman comment (I think he was a WAD first timer) say that this was the best time he ever had with an airplane and maybe ever.

Everything you've done was really appreciated.

Thanks, Waldo! Also, your TP cutting demo at Graham’s was a hit! you made it look effortless!

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

It was as Waldo stated.

I only wish I could have stayed longer and done more. But it lit the fire to do it again next year.

I hope those that attended donated enough to cover their expenses.

Pb

We made out alright, thank you!!!

We can’t thank you all enough for coming to Greenville and for all of the kind words. We are humbled by your generosity as well. John and Jennifer Meade made it easy to step in line. The WAD is what it is because of their years of work and dedication and it is our pleasure to give it a go. Friday couldn’t have been better the whole way around! Saturday was unpredictable, but those that were able to stick around enjoyed the flying and the Graham’s hospitality. Thank you, John and Deb! Also, with the help of our village, the airport was cleaned up and completely put back together by noon today! Five guys scrubbing a hangar floor makes for quick work. We will update everyone on the shirt reorder. Sorry we ran out. We are enjoying seeing everyone’s photos. Please let us know if you have any suggestions for next year. 362 days until WAD 2021! [emoji170] Jason & Jamie

In case anyone it drinking heavy and likes to watch me fly in circles, this was the trip to Greenville and back, in short form. I edited out Dawson trying to land us in someone's backyard and pissing on my airplane, but it's still long.

pb
Edit : Waldo has two special appearances in this video, but I had to mute the audio during his second appearance to protect the innocent.

Last edited:
As I was born, raised and luckily still live north of the Masshole Line, I learned early on about people like from away, city folk, and such. But I was also raised to believe there’s every reason to put forth the opportunity of friendship first.

My first WAD event in NH was unique to say the least as the rental cub I had split one of its two 9 gallon wind tanks on the first night there. Fate or blessing in disguise, I’ve reflected on that entire weekend many times about the warmth, compassion, giving and help I received directly and indirectly. Never before had I ever been to a group of like minded people in business or for pleasure and witnessed that feeling or experience. It surely set the tone.

Which brings me to my story of last weekend, and West Virginia.

Having looked at the map for suggested stops and lunch, I had seen a few additional spots along the river that intrigued me. So Doug and I thought we should check them out. Some coastal Indian named 2Dawgs thought he would run along with us and Captain Furlong figured he could fly high cover. So off we went.

Not long in the air on a discrete frequency we saw a couple of lost souls from MD catching up to us and figured the more the merrier. Of course they wondered about hitching their cart to the wrong horse for the rest of the weekend.

After arcing through the shallow and beautifully winding valleys, and then popping out onto the Ohio river, we stopped at Herron Field for a quick stretch. Looking around at the faces there I saw happiness, fun grins and well executed jabs at each of us, proving the bond between airmen was still real. The band was back together.

As we had enjoyed the landscape earlier we felt it best to head direct to Cheat Island so as not to be hungry and wanting later on. Partially because of this we flew just north of a very cool looking strip called Lynn, that was an uphill dogleg on the spine of a ridge and knoll. We continued on and soon were gliding down into “The island on Cheat River” to a most magnificent airfield an enthusiast had cleared for himself. And apparently, for us as well. A good time there included using his two zip lines to cross the river, which as far as I can tell should now be a requirement at any riverside airstrip.

The prologue to the gist of this story has grown long, but stick with me.

With Lou and Tim headed north in their manufactured machines the 5 of us headed downstream on the advice of the island owner. It was as stated. Big open WV valley with walls angling up from the river, trees showing off their color in the sunshine. Once we had diverted far enough downstream and hopped back up onto the tops Doug mentioned we really should go find Lynn again before getting to the fuel stop. And so we did.

Lynn airstrip is a wonderful spot, 18WV in the map at 1680’ elevation, which is pretty high for this state. That uphill right dogleg is listed in the AFM as having 1700 feet of grass, but as the owner joked they never inspected it and it’s really like 700 feet of uphill to a 500 foot spine to a 500 foot parking area. Good fun spot.
So we all come circling around and wheel our way in, with a couple of mentions in the radio to make the turn at the dogleg slow as to not fall off the side, since you can’t see much land out the side at that point.

We all get to the top, park and start to chat about how cool this place is when this maroon colored small SUV comes hauling ass up the runway. Everyone instinctively turns to make an attempt the distance themselves, particularly from me, the guy they threw out as a spokesman.

As the vehicle screams this way the brakes lock up and the door flys open before his tires have bunched up enough grass to come to a complete stop. With the door hinges now likely bent from the transference of energy from potential to kinetic, my thoughts are scrambling between Steve Eaton and Tom Ford.

There’s a good chance this guy doesn’t know either, and with plenty of stories about Steve Eaton it might just work out. But I probably look more like Tom Ford so if they come looking after we escape maybe it will divert the authorities?

So with all expectations of this guy being pissed he jumps out with ... a camera. A smile. And a “where the heck are you guys from?”

From there it was all golden. The WV friendship was passed on, photos were taken, excitement was conveyed. We thanked him and truly meant it.

We weren’t in the air 10 minutes before slicing over a manicured spot just west of Rob Lynn’s, named Carr, for Pat and Sherry Carr. She was a-waving and practically jumping up down so naturally we stopped. Her husband Pat build an RV4, flew to Oshkosh and got the Lindy award. And sitting in the hangar it looked like the day if finished, in 1995. Awesome people. Awesome place.

So the moral of the story is expect the best, shed off the massholes of the world and you’ll be welcome back in many wonderful places.

Edit : I’ve been kicked off a strip in Mass, hence the example.

Last edited:
Back