• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

AN horizon

jimboflying

My Venturi powered Artificial Horizon has become unresponsive. Can the old AN style be rebuilt? Can a Venturi drive the newer style AHIs?
Thanks.

Call the salvage yards. Everyone is going glass so lots of old stuff around. Better yet just go glass and be done.
DENNY

Check the filter on the back of the instrument. It is easy to remove and is cleanable/or replaceable. They tend to clog around the intake port. There is a flat plate a couple of inches in diameter with screws around the circumference, remove it to uncover the filter. The intake port is in this plate.

I have RC Allen attitude and DG on an 11" venturi. They work great above 60 mph. There is also an old gyro turn needle on the same source.

Probably not great for hard IFR - the venturi could ice up, I guess - but keeps me current with a check pilot.

I had one of those old gyros - would have given it away, but I think a collector gave me $20 for it.

Back