• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tell Me About Belly Pods

Up-date: There were some delays (not anyone's fault) but my new Alaska Bush Pod is on the way to Yellowknife via FedEx. From there I'm hoping my friends at Buffalo Airways will get it on the next DC-3 or C-46 to Kugluktuk.

This was an expensive purchase (around 5K Canadian by the time all the shipping charges are factored in) but I'm sure it will add equal value to the 'plane, both for me and for the next owner.

If I could live long enough to see the day it will need a re-cover, I'd certainly install either the extended lower baggage (I already have the upper) or a second baggage compartment aft of the stock compartment, accessible from the outside. That, along with the Bush Pod would really make my bird into a useful cargo hauler. But the Bush Pod alone will pretty much double the volume of "stuff" I can carry. The dog will now more-or-less have the baggage compartment all to himself.

I plan to use the pod only during the winter when on skis. I'll be stuffing the wing covers, engine cover, extension cord, 1,000 watt Yamaha generator (if it fits) in there, along with all the lighter camping gear, bunny boots, snow shovel, snowshoes, come-along, down parka, etc., etc. We have to carry so much camping/survival gear in the winter! I'm really looking forward to getting the pod installed.

Photos to follow.

Looking forward to this, as I have a friend that's looking at belly pods for a PA12 in the near future!
John

If I'm reading the responses above correctly, there's a standard and jumbo sized Alaska Bush Pod available. Does anyone know how these sizes compare to the Airglass LC18XL Carbon Cargo Pod or the Airglas LC18 (fiberglass) ones? Cost for the Bush Pod?

Nunavut, does your Yamaha 1000 generator fit in your pod?

Very good question and thanks for the reminder. It's been so damn cold here for the past two months I've not had a chance to try the generator for fit. I'll have an answer for you tomorrow.

Bush pod clocks in at $2850 plus shipping/crating. They come in black and white, fiberglass and carbon, and standard and XL varieties. The STC'd ones are the standard size fiberglass and come in either black or white at that price. The other versions are available but I'm not sure what they're going for, I'll have to get ahold of the guy that builds them and ask.

Yes, it will fit on its side through the forward part of the side door. Has to remain on its side. Be sure to close the vent on the tank. Might be wise to keep it mostly full of fuel - not sure how pressure changes would affect the empty tank with the vent closed - probably not a consideration at the altitudes we tend to fly at. Edit: or maybe empty with the vent open?

Last edited:
View attachment 54004 DSCN0494.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0494.jpg
    DSCN0494.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 451
Last edited:
Up-date: There were some delays (not anyone's fault) but my new Alaska Bush Pod is on the way to Yellowknife via FedEx. From there I'm hoping my friends at Buffalo Airways will get it on the next DC-3 or C-46 to Kugluktuk.

This was an expensive purchase (around 5K Canadian by the time all the shipping charges are factored in) but I'm sure it will add equal value to the 'plane, both for me and for the next owner.

If I could live long enough to see the day it will need a re-cover, I'd certainly install either the extended lower baggage (I already have the upper) or a second baggage compartment aft of the stock compartment, accessible from the outside. That, along with the Bush Pod would really make my bird into a useful cargo hauler. But the Bush Pod alone will pretty much double the volume of "stuff" I can carry. The dog will now more-or-less have the baggage compartment all to himself.

I plan to use the pod only during the winter when on skis. I'll be stuffing the wing covers, engine cover, extension cord, 1,000 watt Yamaha generator (if it fits) in there, along with all the lighter camping gear, bunny boots, snow shovel, snowshoes, come-along, down parka, etc., etc. We have to carry so much camping/survival gear in the winter! I'm really looking forward to getting the pod installed.

Photos to follow.

Reading the above shipping routes and carriers make me want to give my UPS guy a big hug, ( a fist bump I meant) even 5 miles out of Inkom I get stuff from about anywhere in single digits time frames, no radial engined vintage aircraft involved.

Yes, it will fit on its side through the forward part of the side door. Has to remain on its side. Be sure to close the vent on the tank. Might be wise to keep it mostly full of fuel - not sure how pressure changes would affect the empty tank with the vent closed - probably not a consideration at the altitudes we tend to fly at. Edit: or maybe empty with the vent open?

Nice Nunavut! Glad to hear the generator fits, that's a great savings of space for winter ops! Is your pod the standard or XL sized one?

Thanks Crash for the additional info.

......Is your pod the standard or XL sized one?

Just the standard size (I think). On Datum wheel-skis (6:00 x 6 tires) and 3-inch extended gear there is adequate ground clearance. If the bigger pod is deeper I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with less ground clearance.

Yours was a standard size pod. They're a great size. The XL is 4" deeper in the front 2" at the rear

Trying to get ahold of Bob Piatt and is not answering his phone, to order a cargo pod for a -12.
Any info about a changed number? 907-376-7256 is what I have.

Thanks
Doug

Trying to get ahold of Bob Piatt and is not answering his phone, to order a cargo pod for a -12.
Any info about a changed number? 907-376-7256 is what I have.

Thanks
Doug

Looks like the last digit is wrong.

This is the number I have for Bob

(907) 376-7259

I have one of Bob’s pods and absolutely love it.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I just bought a used CarbonConcept pod and a Yamaha generator....

So there is no oil issue with the yamaha ef1000is generator on it side? My Suzukis DF2.5 outboard are a PITA to start after laying on their wrong side.

Thanks!!

IMG_5615.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5619.jpg
    IMG_5619.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_5615.jpg
    IMG_5615.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 1,355
Oli, that looks like a long Catto prop your running. What ever happen to the Sterna GA that you maybe were trying or running?

Good catch Stewart. Back to legacy death gear I guess. Hopefully Oli will chime in……

I just bought a used CarbonConcept pod and a Yamaha generator....

So there is no oil issue with the yamaha ef1000is generator on it side? My Suzukis DF2.5 outboard are a PITA to start after laying on their wrong side.

Good question. I think this was addressed in another thread some time ago but I can't find it. I think I'll put my generator on its side for a few hours in the shop and see how (if) if starts.

So I tried laying the yamaha ef1000is generator on it's side for an hour. I lay choke, controls and outlets side down so the air filter and carb are up. Put back in the normal position and it started right up. No smoke.

It barely fit in my CarbonConcept cargon pod, but it fit! Gonna be perfect for winter flying !!

So I tried laying the yamaha ef1000is generator on it's side for an hour. I lay choke, controls and outlets side down so the air filter and carb are up. Put back in the normal position and it started right up. No smoke.

It barely fit in my CarbonConcept cargon pod, but it fit! Gonna be perfect for winter flying !!

Yes! I did the same experiment with the same result.

I have a PA-12 Firmin Pod and I have to turn my Honda 1000EU sideways to get through the door, but then can move it all the way forward and stand it upright sideways. This is where I want it as it is forward of the plane CG and leaves the most rom in the pod for other things. The Honda will run my Reiff 4-band Magnum, two sump pads and oil cooler pad as well as a C-teck battery charger with cold weather logic that I have available to plug in if really cold out. Perfect.

Looking for -12 FA paper work to use for an attempt to get it FA on my -12 Any help with this I would be grateful.
Thanks

Can anyone tell me how wide and long the PA-12 Firmin pod is? I’m willing to call Bob but if some knows off hand that would be helpful. I’d like a pod for my experimental and thought maybe I could buy and trim a Firmin pod like Mauleguy did to a Carbon Concepts pod.

Last edited:
Not sure how wide they are as I don't know if Bob makes a PA-12 specific pod or if it's just a PA-18 pod with longer straps to fit the wider fuselage. No problems running a regular -18 pod, it just leaves a 2" space between the side of the pod and side of the fuselage. I can tell you that the length of all the Firmin pods I've seen is the same at 83".

I have his 12 pod. If my memory is correct the 18 & 12 have a different belly profile. So similar but not the same. Width and length same, but top profile different. Of course calling him will yield the true answer. I ran a jumbo on the 18. If you could get a jumbo for the 12 it would be the way to go.

Back