• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tell Me About Belly Pods

NunavutPA-12

FRIEND
67.8N,115.1W CYCO Canada
Home-built PA-12/18 with flaps, -18 gear and tail, O-320 160 hp, extended wings, Catto prop, 3-inch extended gear.

In the summer months, with those big compartments in my 2200 Clamar floats we can carry all we need.

In the winter, with more survival gear to haul, it's a struggle to fit everything in, especially if we want to take the dog along.

So I'm considering a cargo pod (no - I won't put the dog in there!).

Questions:

1) How do they attach to the airplane? Do the attachment points require welding?

2) Most of our lakes here would not have more than a foot of soft snow over a harder base in late winter/early spring. Will the belly pod drag in the snow?

3) How much time/trouble is it to seasonally remove and re-install?

I'm thinking I would typically carry the lighter units of camping gear, rifles, and perhaps 50 or 60 pounds of frozen food in the pod.

Any recommendations as to make and model of pod would be appreciated.

Larry

Last edited:
Home-built PA-12/18 with flaps, -18 gear and tail, O-320 160 hp, extended wings, Catto prop, 3-inch extended gear.

In the summer months, with those big compartments in my 2200 Clamar floats we can carry all we need.

In the winter, with more survival gear to haul, it's a struggle to fit everything in, especially if we want to take the dog along.

Questions:

1) How do they attach to the airplane? Do the attachment points require welding?

2) Most of our lakes here would not have more than a foot of soft snow over a harder base in late winter/early spring. Will the belly pod drag in the snow?

I'm thinking I would typically carry the lighter units of camping gear, rifles, and perhaps 50 or 60 pounds of frozen food in the pod.

Larry

1. No. Front strap goes to rear gear bolt. Aft strap is a simple slit in fabric and a stainless strap goes around longeron.

2. No. I’ve been in deep deep powder, pod Will slide through snow fine but it’s going to have to be really deep before that’s even an issue.

3. Maybe 15 minutes to remove or install.

Bill Firmin, RIP, was a good friend of mine and a -12 driver. His first mold for pods were for -12. I had s/n 005. Bobby Piatt has his business now, only -12 pod out there. Mine is field approved on certified -12.

7e4588bd88d3112f77f138bfaa9c797d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalkj

Questions:

Larry

Firmin’s pod was tested with like 600lbs of well drilling pipe.

Attached with simple clamps around longerons at rear. Gear bolt at at front. Stainless steel straps.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

12 pod options that I am aware of are Airglass, Carbon Concepts, and Alaska Bush Pod. I have installed an Alaska bush pod on a 12 and an 18. One instal was with slits and one with welded tabs, both were easy. I did spend a bit of time fitting and trimming to get it just right. I imagine that is required with any brand. Bob Piatt makes the Alaska Bush Pod also known as Firmin Pod. I know he will build them in black or white and maybe some other colors. He usually has several in the shop ready to ship. He may have some advice for installing on floats.

Last edited:
I’ve seen them both. Like MCS Mike said, Airglass one is an 18 pod with a funky lip to widen it, so substantially narrower. Airglass pods all not as deep as Firmin ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Many thanks for the info, fellas. Now I just have to figure out the finances. All said and done I'm probably looking at 5 or 6k Canadian!

Is the Firman (Alaska Bushpod) Certified on floats? Does it fit with the float rigging? I have heard that the Airglas is certified on floats and does not interfere with the float rigging. I read somewhere that mods needed to be done to the Firmin pod to fit it with float rigging.

I’ve seen them both. Like MCS Mike said, Airglass one is an 18 pod with a funky lip to widen it, so substantially narrower. Airglass pods all not as deep as Firmin ones.

And the location of the hinge won’t allow the door to open all the way. And there is no back door like on a firman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the location of the hinge won’t allow the door to open all the way. And there is no back door like on a firman

My door opens all the way on 3” extended gear on 8:00 x6 when on wheel skis, and it has a rear door.

Last edited:
Nunavut, PA-12s aren’t all the same profile on the belly but all have more “vee” than typical Supercubs. I recall the primary difference between a -12 and -18 pod being how much space was above the lid of the pod. The -12 flange is taller to allow some fitting to the center stringer. Maybe that’s different on newer pods. If you happen upon a -18 pod, be aware.

Old firmin pods did not have the rear door. The new ones do have the rear door. Main side door on pod opens all the way no problem. Jumbo pod on standard length gear and 35’s almost touches ground. About a quarter inch to spare. On skis it will open all the way but just barely touches snow. With extended gear and jumbo pod you won’t have these problems. But in actual use it is a non issue for me on standard gear. The standard pod will open all the way and not touch the ground. The jumbo pod is roughly 2 inches deeper. They are both an excellent choice.

Nunavut, PA-12s aren’t all the same profile on the belly but all have more “vee” than typical Supercubs. I recall the primary difference between a -12 and -18 pod being how much space was above the lid of the pod. The -12 flange is taller to allow some fitting to the center stringer. Maybe that’s different on newer pods. If you happen upon a -18 pod, be aware.

My PA-12 fuselage has metal belly panels with very little "vee". Almost flat in fact. Do you think this will be a problem?

It’ll probably make it easier. Talk to Bob @ Bushpod or Randy @ Carbon Concepts. They’ll be the best resources I know of.

Is the Firman (Alaska Bushpod) Certified on floats? Does it fit with the float rigging? I have heard that the Airglas is certified on floats and does not interfere with the float rigging. I read somewhere that mods needed to be done to the Firmin pod to fit it with float rigging.
You can use the Firman pod with floats. Some trimming needed. The big pod rocks!!
DENNY

My door opens all the way on 3” extended gear on 8:00 x6 when on wheel skis, and it has a rear door.
f08e43583c0d76cc32c71e9a064c4456.jpg

The airglas pod door doesn’t open all the way. It hits the hinge. The firman swings all the way down and a little further. And the firman has a back door. Airglas does not.

Back door is great if you need to haul long lumber, prop, struts, ect in case your buddy stubs his toe somewhere.
DENNY

When my Firman went on the 18 it stayed on. I love it. A few Bushwheels "liquid containment" bags in there is nice if you ever need to haul some extra juice.

Can anyone provide contact info for the current maker of the firmin pods? Does he have a website?

Can anyone provide contact info for the current maker of the firmin pods? Does he have a website?

Firman/Alaska Bush Pods does not have a website that I'm aware of. Airglas and Carbon Concepts both have websites that you can find through Google.

If you need contact info for Alaska Bush Pods contact Stoddards or Reeve Airmotive in Alaska. Not sure about other dealers for them as the Bush Pods are very word of mouth products.

Update: I left a message for Bob about a week ago and he returned my call right away. Very nice guy. He is building me a PA-12 belly pod in black (my 'plane is yellow and black) and says it will be ready to ship around September 15. Great!

Now, I don't think Bob takes Visa (or any other credit card - though he hasn't yet confirmed that). Visa would be so easy but I may have to come up with an alternate way to get his money to him. I can write him a cheque drawn on my Canadian bank account and specify "payable in US funds" but I'm not sure that will work when Bob tries to deposit it to his Anchorage bank account.

Still trying to figure this one out. Maybe someone here has a suggestion. We have no bank or Western Union, etc. here in this two-bit town. I bank on-line or by mail.

belly pod

Update: I left a message for Bob about a week ago and he returned my call right away. Very nice guy. He is building me a PA-12 belly pod in black (my 'plane is yellow and black) and says it will be ready to ship around September 15. Great!

Now, I don't think Bob takes Visa (or any other credit card - though he hasn't yet confirmed that). Visa would be so easy but I may have to come up with an alternate way to get his money to him. I can write him a cheque drawn on my Canadian bank account and specify "payable in US funds" but I'm not sure that will work when Bob tries to deposit it to his Anchorage bank account.

Still trying to figure this one out. Maybe someone here has a suggestion. We have no bank or Western Union, etc. here in this two-bit town. I bank on-line or by mail.

wire transfer, done all the time, specify US Funds

Not on the belly, but a CF wing pod on my S-7S, a little thinking outside the box. It holds an amazing amount of soft gear: clothing, tent, sleeping bag etc. I just need to try and pack the most needed stuff towards the front, as the removable nose cone is the only access, though we did talk about another door I am keeping it simple as possible for now. Two pip pins and it drops off in a second or two. Performance seems to INCREASE with them on, go figure.

Attachments

• pods 006.jpg
    pods 006.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 704
Back