• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Pilot Shoes?

This has been discussed re clothing. When I depart to goof off in the backcountry I leave with the mindset that there’s a remote chance I’ll be walking home.
If I think it’might take me all night to walk home I’ll bring a jacket. Feet are no exception. If you can skateboard home, by all means where your vans ;-)

I’m in the camp of wearing something that I would survive at least overnight in. Footwear would be something you would be able to hike with. Even here on the east coast, there are lots of places that if you go down you will likely be at least one night and if you have to hike out, could be up to 20 miles or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my youth I flew a G1 with a guy who wouldn’t wear shoes when at the controls. He said he couldn’t feel the controls with shoes on. I started setting mouse traps down by the rudder peddles. He didn’t see the humor in that but everybody else thought it was a hoot.

Heard you're going to be at Steve's tomorrow. If I go over there I'll be sure to look real close at what be in my plane when I leave.:Ginnocent:

If you order them, don't forget the Ray Ban belt case, a huge chronograph, and a license plate frame that advertises to everyone you're a pilot along with the shoes. Otherwise they might miss the fact that those sneakers are "Pilot Shoes".

I maybe shouldn't admit that i have an assortment of pilot shoes. Lessee - Extra Tuffs, Sorrel paks, worn out loafers, hiking boots, sneakers. What an amusing topic!

If you order them, don't forget the Ray Ban belt case, a huge chronograph, and a license plate frame that advertises to everyone you're a pilot along with the shoes. Otherwise they might miss the fact that those sneakers are "Pilot Shoes".

Thanks. Now I understand my problem. I show up at the airport with clip-on sunglasses and a Walmart bag. People ask me why I'm there....

All the crap I get about flying barefoot.. Usually throw some flip flops in the plane in case I have to go into a public place, sometimes people give you crap if you don't have shoes. Now I understand they give you crap if you aren't wearing a mask. I'd tell them no shoes or mask, but in the interest of public safety I am wearing a condom. Flying is all about risk assessment.

Dick head

Had to resurrect this since Marco Bulgheroni just shared this photo and caption-

IMG_2817.JPG

For anyone like me who has to justify #shitlanding and #poorcontrol, I recommend this practical solution
Follow me for more tips [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers… [emoji849]

Attachments

• IMG_2817.JPG
    IMG_2817.JPG
    473.7 KB · Views: 157
Flying floats in the summer I want something on my feet that won't hinder swimming to shore. Since I can be as much as 100-miles from "civilization" (or at least the Nunavut version of civilization), walking out is not an option.

I find my "Bunny Boots" (the Canadian military Sorels) are too bulky to fly in so I keep them in the back and use Steger mukluks in the winter months.

In the summer, a crash on floats may leave you with nothing but what's in your jeans or life-vest pockets. At least with a crash in the winter months there's a good chance you will have access to all of your survival equipment, including footwear.

I always wore hip boots when on floats (never waders). Once during egress training this subject came up. So, I went and got my hip boots, put them on and jumped in. No problem "swimming" though I'm certainly not what one would call a "swimmer". I can stay afloat and move slowly for a loooong time. It's not pretty.

I flew Cubs, Huskys, Cessna 170 and 185s regularly wearing Bunny Boots. Never an issue. I also had a set of Air Force Mukluks, which I preferred for comfort to the Bunny Boots, but if there was ANY question there might be overflow out there.....bunny boots only.

MTV

Had to resurrect this since Marco Bulgheroni just shared this photo and caption-

View attachment 64153

For anyone like me who has to justify #shitlanding and #poorcontrol, I recommend this practical solution
Follow me for more tips [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

What’s he flying?

Like the secret handshake here's a Dark World trick for hip boot flying. See the folded down boot tops? Now grab the lower folds above the ankles and pull them back up over themselves. Forms a tight roll around the boot that tightens them to the leg. Makes exiting the floatplane easier and less likely to catch a snag. Pulll the tops up in deep water.

Gary

Attachments

• 8751f5a7e16f1ef5f57b201fa96e2957.jpg
    8751f5a7e16f1ef5f57b201fa96e2957.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 62
after 40+ years of being in the cub in hip boots - usually canvas topped - I made the change to some SIMMS gortex pants and whatever shoe I want to wear. So much lighter, and easier. These come up a little higher too and I haven't gotten wet yet. Nothing like climbing off Edo 2000s and not having your boot pulled all the way up just after the ice goes out.

During the summer, I wore XtraTuf rubber boots or Lacrosse Ankle Tight hip boots. I actually have a pair of XtraTuf hip boots. First and only pair I’ve ever seen. Unfortunately they’re sized for someone with 36 inch inseam and skinny legs. Winter,…Bunny Boots.

Back when I got paid to walk rivers counting fish we'd be lucky to get two months out of pair of hip boots. Usually less. Many miles on rough rocks wore out the bottom's grip. Then we worked out how to cut the tops off hip boots and glue them to XtraTuf bottoms for deeper water. Then improved on them by gluing on felt sole bottoms for no slip. Then they outlawed the felt soles here and that was the end of that good mod. Today it's back to these boots. Canvas tops of course.

Gary

So I have a bad ankle and need the support of an ankle boot/shoe. My skecher ankle-highs are light and have some flexibility my wolverines don't. I could hike in them too if it ever had to happen.

Yes I believe Marco flys a Zenair Savannah taildagger.

IMG_2833.JPG
IMG_2832.JPG
IMG_2816.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2833.JPG
    IMG_2833.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2832.JPG
    IMG_2832.JPG
    476.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2816.JPG
    IMG_2816.JPG
    467.7 KB · Views: 57
Since most of my flying is in the winter my go to boot is my Scarpas. Best boot I have ever owned. You do have to warm them up at temps of -20 to get them on in the morning. Other than that they fly nice and can be used as a tool or weapon depending on how many Sasquatch are in the area.

View attachment 50792
In the summer and fall I always have some sort of hiking boot on depending on what food source I'm after.

Jerry

I tried that once with my T2s wanting to get moving before the daylight gave out. I was on skis, so the brakes weren't a problem, but I never did that again.

Back