• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

TailbeaconX

wireweinie

FOUNDER
Palmer, AK
Has anyone installed/flown one of the uAvionics, TailbeaconX units? This is not the standard Tailbeacon unit, this one is designed to be controlled by a MFD. I have a customer that is already using one of the MFD's and was thinking that this unit could save space and weight. But only if it actually works.

Can anyone share some real world observations?

Web

here is my 2 cent idea, in the MAY 2020 issue of KITPLANES, pages 28 to 31, is a full story via/Mark Cook, and some things he had, to deal with, on/in his installing in his GLASstar airplane. ///// good day / rick .....IMHO-IMBW,,,,,,i my humble opinion,i may be wrong

I had the same question and reached out to uAvionix. They tell me a wing mounted version is next on the list since the tailbeaconX will not fit in the rudder.

I know of a guy who just installed a tailbeaconX, but it hasn't flown yet. He's building a tube-and-fabric experimental (RANS S-20) and had already covered the vertical stabilizer and rudder. The uAvionix-supplied "fairing" attachment point would have required him to cut the fabric off in order to fabricate a place for it to attach, and he just couldn't bring himself to do that. So after talking with them, he elected to fabricate a bracket to install it inside the tail, with the lights disabled via the uAvionix software config. Testing on the ground seems to indicate that it works fine (as uAvionix predicted), but as I said, he hasn't flown it yet so no PIREP yet.

I'm putting one on my Commonwealth. Just waiting for delivery. In my case it ought to be easy because the rudder doesn't go all the way up and the existing tailbeacon is fixed on the top trailing edge of the vertical stabilizer. But the light fitting seems to be the same as on many supercubs. I won't get it 'til early October, though.

Frankly, it appears to me that the major advantage of the Tailbeaconn X is that it’s one of the few if not the only that operates on both ADS-B frequencies. 1090ES is required in Canadian ADS-B airspace, whereas 978 is not.

MTV

Frankly, it appears to me that the major advantage of the Tailbeaconn X is that it’s one of the few if not the only that operates on both ADS-B frequencies. 1090ES is required in Canadian ADS-B airspace, whereas 978 is not.

MTV

That was a motivator for me. Canada is close and it looks like they are implementing 1090ES for most places in the next few years.

That and with the AV30 I could also finally have an attitude indicator.

I need to do transponder and ADSB so tailbeaconx with UV30 seems like it solves all problems plus no concerns for future trips to Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Back