• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Spark plug lead, can it be repaired?

cgoldy

Moogerah Queensland Australia
Can this be repaired? It blew through and shorted out. I fixed it temporarily with a bit of RTV. Before I pull it to pieces, I just wanted to know if it can be repaired. Is the end soldered, crimped or encapsulated?

thanks in advance

cgoldyD921F567-6A22-4B31-A4DC-93A51D82059E.jpg

Attachments

• D921F567-6A22-4B31-A4DC-93A51D82059E.jpg
    D921F567-6A22-4B31-A4DC-93A51D82059E.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 204
Aircraft spruce has the kit. I never liked doing it. They also sell a $450 plier that probably make it simpler

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Check that you have enough length to work with as a little will probably get cut off. If you take the lead off you'll see how that end is put together. In a nutshell you'll disassemble the spring contact and insulator from the end of the lead. Slide the braid and nut up the internal wire. Clip the damaged portion away and reinstall the insulator and contact. As Mike said, it's a pain to get the contact pressed back into the internal wire, but it's doable.

Find an old lead to take apart first, if you want to practice.

Web

Thanks Mike, I might as well just put that money towards a New Pmag.

Are you saying that I can do it without special tools Web?

Thanks Mike, I might as well just put that money towards a New Pmag.

Are you saying that I can do it without special tools Web?

Yes you can do it without the fancy tool. It’s not fun and might take a try or two..... it wasn’t fun for me.... kinda like to fix things correctly... seemed like a hack...

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I have shortened Champ, Slick, and some generic wire. Each seems a bit different, but all were doable with common hand tools. The Champ wires have a little tapered ferrule that is used to wedge the shield in place.

I also have the special tools for Packard 440, like they use on big radials. Works on the J-3. Running out of those crimp fittings.

But unless you like "spaghetti factory" wires or are willing to pay for a custom set, you will wind up learning to shorten sooner or later.

I found the Slick tools at Oshkosh in a box behind a bunch of stuff in the fly market and got them well worth the money. Only issue I had to hike them several miles to my airplane. Not sure what it would cost to ship to you Down Under but I should have the parts as well..

I found the Slick tools at Oshkosh in a box behind a bunch of stuff in the fly market and got them well worth the money. Only issue I had to hike them several miles to my airplane. Not sure what it would cost to ship to you Down Under but I should have the parts as well..

Can you post a picture of it with new parts in jaw so I can get scale. And maybe a tape measure in pic. Might make one

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

With some, you can use a pin vise, with the correct collet, to hold the contact while pressing it into place.

Web

Tool is sitting on my desk but the calipers are not. To much going on this week. Will be gone r and r an engine tomorrow but will get it done on Friday.

I don’t get why you would put that much effort and money into fixing a wire when chances are others are ready to go also and it’s under five hundred for new wires. Also you can damage the mags wire shorted out wires. I may be way wrong ,really don’t know.

It isn't that hard to change a wire. Sometimes it is just some ham fisted person didn't hold the backup nut and twisted the wire shield on a good harness.

Will be another day Mike, nothing goes as hoped when working on the road, lack of propper tools and parts.
IMG_20200820_100912.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200820_100912.jpg
    IMG_20200820_100912.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 168
IMG_20200820_111318.jpg
Superior cylinders less than 700 hrs. Engine monitor data was all normal till it wasn't.

Attachments

• IMG_20200820_111318.jpg
    IMG_20200820_111318.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 153
7 miles from the airport and no oil pressure upon landing. This was in the sump.
IMG_20200820_132732.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200820_132732.jpg
    IMG_20200820_132732.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 162
Back