Thread: 31" ABW std vs heavy tread on a Cub

Post Thanks / Like

31" ABW std vs heavy tread on a Cub

What's the consensus here? On a 180, heavy tread is a no brainer. On a lighter airplane like a Cub with an already forward CG does the extra $400 and 16lbs make sense to do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Curious about this as well.. I'm looking at 29's with heavy tread. 80% grass / other... 20% pavement...

Post Thanks / Like
    I just put a set on a new to me PA-18 when I picked it up so I cant tell you what the difference is, but I do love them. They are $200 more per tire and weigh 4 pounds more per tire. I'm interested to hear what others think that have run both. At my home airport KIUA, I taxy on pavement but take off and land on grass. I opted for the heavy tread hoping they will last longer. I started out running them at 10.5psi and am now down to 8.5psi trying to find the sweet spot for everyday use. Any advice on the best tire pressure?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by daedgerton View Post
    Curious about this as well.. I'm looking at 29's with heavy tread. 80% grass / other... 20% pavement...
    The 29 was really designed for a heavier airplane - you won't get all the sidewall benefit out of a bushwheel on a light airplane like a Cub. I did fly a set of 29's on a Bearhawk Patrol but it was a mild environment.
    Thanks daedgerton thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamagoat View Post
    I just put a set on a new to me PA-18 when I picked it up so I cant tell you what the difference is, but I do love them. They are $200 more per tire and weigh 4 pounds more per tire. I'm interested to hear what others think that have run both. At my home airport KIUA, I taxy on pavement but take off and land on grass. I opted for the heavy tread hoping they will last longer. I started out running them at 10.5psi and am now down to 8.5psi trying to find the sweet spot for everyday use. Any advice on the best tire pressure?
    I misread the fine print, you are right at 4lbs/tire so it's only 8lbs, not 16.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAgfisher View Post
    I misread the fine print, you are right at 4lbs/tire so it's only 8lbs, not 16.
    thats ok, thats the way all my fishing stories are.

Post Thanks / Like
    My impression is the AKB 31’s seem to wear or scrub quicker at lower tire pressure.
    Certainly need more effort needing to move at lower tire pressure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Standard tread if you're roughly 30% or less on pavement, Heavy tread if you're up to 50% on pavement. Any more than that and you shouldn't be using Bushwheels.
    Likes Eddie Foy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamagoat View Post
    I think ideal tire pressure depends on how much off-airport work you’re doing. I run mine at 6psi, but do quite a bit of off airport flying/landing. If I know that I’ll be landing on particularly rough sites, I might go lower than that.

Post Thanks / Like
    No downside to the heavy tread Bush wheel unless you really think you are good enough to notice/need the performance difference of 1 1/2 gal of gas!!! If they extend tire life by 4 or more years!! You will save a lot of money. IF you really need to own a cub under 1,000 lbs get standard tread. I have and fly both pressure is mission dependent not tire.
    Denny
    Likes jrussl, G44 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder: About 30 years ago there used to be an outfit in AK they resurfaced the ballonies with rubberbandages. My 26"ers started showing material. So I send them to that outfit. They very nicely glued rubberpieces arround the surface. I ran them until I bought my 31"ers. The abrasion in that time was less than 1/2". It was very good. I do not know why you cannot find such thing annymore
    The wandering raven