• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Finishing tapes ??

supercub

Let me check my GPS, gee how'd we ever navigate w
Do you put finishing tapes over the nose ribs up to the most forward screw? I've seen cubs that had them covered and others that didn't. I've also seen just the nose ribs in the prop blast area covered. Just curious what you do? Thanks?

I used a thin layer of felt over the entire leading edge skin which made those screws almost disappear. Then stopped the finishing tape at the trailing edge of the skin. The purpose of the tapes is to reinforce the fabric where there is flexibility or some type of abuse. Do you expect to be cleaning and polishing your Cub? If the answer is yes, the fabric will be quickly worn over those screws without any protection. You could just use a round patch over each screw if you don't want to see a tape there.

Attachments

• 51wOoX7UV9L._AC_.jpg
    51wOoX7UV9L._AC_.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 87
Learn something every day. I got a tip from Ellis Clark last year on some really great tape. If those drafting dots are the same kind of rubbery stretchable material that would be worth a try.

My wing matched Ellis' wing pretty well - cannot see tape edges. In the olden days we used masking tape or Scotch tape. Could see those in the finish paint.

Back