• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Push Rod Control

Lampies

Porterville
Out of interest - has anyone ever built a Cub with push rod controls?
I see the Carbon Cub guys managed to run the aileron push rod inside the strut with the Xcub. I can’t find any detailed information about this. Anyone know how this setup works?
Thanks

Carbon Cub has carbon fiber rods wth a bellcrank midway up the strut I am told because the rod flexed to much when in one piece. Husky has pushrod elevator controls.

My Wag-Aero has pushrods from the wingroot out for ailerons. Cables from floor to ceiling over the baggage area. The electric flap actuator is internally mounted in the right wing with a carry-through tube to the left side.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Bearhawk has push rod and rod bearing elevator controls, super smooth. Cable control up the strut to the wing bellcrank, push rod from there.

My Wag-Aero has pushrods from the wingroot out for ailerons. Cables from floor to ceiling over the baggage area. The electric flap actuator is internally mounted in the right wing with a carry-through tube to the left side.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Which Wag model did that? You wouldn't happen to have any drawings (or pics) of this setup? Sounds really interesting!!

Which Wag model did that? You wouldn't happen to have any drawings (or pics) of this setup? Sounds really interesting!!

Drawings? You don’t need no stinking drawings! Just kidding, but it sounded right. I have no such thing. Third owner looking for the fourth owner. No original build pics, drawings, or likewise. It’s a “Acro-Trainer”.

The fellow that did it I believe did so incorporate easily removable or foldable wings. I’ve removed them but I have understood the folding aspect. Largely because I think foldable wings are a stupid idea.

I’ll look and see if I have photos of the connection points.

Pb

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...

Okay found pics from a little while back. Don’t mind all the crap hanging off the window and the old shoulder harness.

Red is aileron, blue is flaps.

Aileron tube is in front, and has two quick disconnect pins to the push-pull tubes in the wings. Those obviously go to a bellcrank to the control surfaces.
Cables run from the attach point to the side, aft on an angle to a rear mounted pulley about mid height fuselage, to then angle frontward down to a bottom mounted pulley, so it can run forward up to one last pulley under the pilots floor outboard before attaching to the stick.

The flaps are electric. Plenty of naysayers but they are simple and work great. Actuator is internally mounted in the right wing, with a carry-through tube running through the cabin just aft of the aileron tube to attach to the left side. Again with a removable center section for wing detachment.
Flap control is a smart 3 button unit that allows 3 preset positions (up, mid, down) of your choice, or by using two buttons at a time you can infinitely move it to any position in the range of travel.

IMG_7850.JPG

IMG_7850.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7850.JPG
    IMG_7850.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_7850.JPG
    IMG_7850.JPG
    613.3 KB · Views: 172
I appreciate you posting these pictures. I fly the Cubby (Sport Trainer) and have never seen anything other than pulley'd cables in any other build. These are great!

I appreciate you posting these pictures. I fly the Cubby (Sport Trainer) and have never seen anything other than pulley'd cables in any other build. These are great!

No problem- in contrast to a cubby this is like a supercub with front V brace and overhead X brace.

I was initially confused by the photo, then realized the upper deck is very Super Cub like...At least Wag copies good designs! :)

Back