• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Std vs 3" extended FAD gear on 31s. New thread as need to make quick decision.

My opinion.

If you already have 31" tires, stick with standard legs. Tall tires and long legs make the cockpit crazy high to climb into/out of. If you need that last three inches of prop clearance, you just need to reconsider your landing site. Plus, it's even harder to see over the nose. Contrary to other statements, 31" tires with 3" extended gear is NOT some kind of 'standard' for Alaska. Plenty of Cubs with fat tires that use standard length legs and they land and take off every day, just fine.

Web

3 inch has better AOA for takeoff and landing, better prop clearance. little harder to get into for the older crowd. Get 3 inch it is what the cool kids have!!
DENNY

And 3” gear is wider, making it a little more stable. If your doing it you might as well go to 3”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3" for AOA and ground clearance. Probably doesn't apply to you, but if on skis, 3" much more important for same reason. Atlee's will probably tell you, but you need to get the appropriate length lower gear legs and safety cables for the 3" extended gear. Get a gear bolt kit as well, and would be a good time to replace bungees or better yet upgrade to AOSS.

+3" for skis and prop tip clearance - w/31's not so much. If I recall correctly from my former planes the +3" is gear leg length not the overall height change (is ~+1.5"). Plus it's a longer torque arm to extend the bungees some on a bounce. No expert.

Gary

Go Keller Flaps and 3" gear for prop clearance. I have stock flaps but a 7 degree AOI with 3 inch gear and 35s, love it. Feels plenty low on 31s with the 86 inch prop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SuperCub.Org mobile app

AJB_5087.jpg
I guess this is plenty of clearance with 31s and 3" gear but I wouldn't want less. If I was on 31s every day instead of 35s I might want 6" gear. Depends on your mission.

Attachments

• AJB_5087.jpg
    AJB_5087.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 222
I have gone from 700 series tires and standard gear to 3" gear and 35s with everything in between. I like the prop clearance, period. I am hard on props, sand and gravel. No issue with visibility over the nose on 31s and 3" gear and the Thrustline mod.

Opinion based on years of watching working Cubs: If you have to ask, you probably don’t need it/won’t benefit much. If it’s not painfully obvious that more AOA and prop clearance is a good thing, then maybe you won’t like it. It IS the standard for working planes in my circles, and I personally prefer 6” gear and 35’s. Not saying they didn’t do all kinds of stuff on standard gear and 25x11x4’s back in the day, but most of us prefer indoor plumbing and battery powered drills too...

View attachment 50484
I guess this is plenty of clearance with 31s and 3" gear but I wouldn't want less. If I was on 31s every day instead of 35s I might want 6" gear. Depends on your mission.

If we are talking 31” tires and borer props, you are fine with standard hd gear...unless you land with your tail ten feet in the air like the idiot above...

The reason for extended gear isn't for prop clearance on nice manicured grass...it's to clear those bushes and tall grass you're taxiing through

The reason for extended gear isn't for prop clearance on nice manicured grass...it's to clear those bushes and tall grass you're taxiing through

CJ - The extended gear is required for the Borer STC when running smaller than 8.50 tires too....

The 3" gear does get the legal prop clearance on little tires or standard skis with a borer. But if you are getting them for real world prop clearance you are going to be disappointed, you only gain about 1.5", you could get more lift by airing up your tires. You do gain about 3" gear width, which is noticable. You gain stability but sacrifice manuverabilty, especially on skis.

And the longer gear can flex more on skis...especially those skis that are flat without a rocker bottom and upturned edges

Gary

Seems like some of the Alaska guys dont like 6" gear on skis. My comments are obviously not for skis. We don't have much snow down south. I changed from 6x5 competición gear to 3" and 35s. The long gear had probably been used on skis and I think it was twisted toed in. The plane got a lot more directional stable on the ground with the new gear.

Nanook, I have been an idiot and come within an inch or two of touching the prop on 35s and 3 inch gear with the tail low when I broke the TK1s on takeoff. A broken prop would have been a problem in the air. Thankfull for prop clearance and tough Javron gear.

Back