• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Adsb

That is correct; I mean't '. . . you can have it checked out after installation, and it will be all legal.' Not, '. . . you can have it checked out if you want to.'

And keep in mind that the old school transponder/encoder test boxes (like mine, sigh) will check out the transponder codes and pressure altitude output signal just fine, but it will NOT check out the extra information and GPS signal required for the ADS-B system. The avionics/instrument shops all had to buy the latest and greatest and expesivest, test box to make these checks

Web

That is correct; I mean't '. . . you can have it checked out after installation, and it will be all legal.' Not, '. . . you can have it checked out if you want to.'

And keep in mind that the old school transponder/encoder test boxes (like mine, sigh) will check out the transponder codes and pressure altitude output signal just fine, but it will NOT check out the extra information and GPS signal required for the ADS-B system. The avionics/instrument shops all had to buy the latest and greatest and expesivest, test box to make these checks

Web

Web, granted, the transponder and encoder have to be verified by an "authorized" shop, but the ADS-B signal can be verified with a PAPR report, no?

I've assumed that is legal, since the PAPR report actually lists as (presumably legitimate) "installers" -- airframe and powerplant mechanics.

I assume, however, that if you have installed an "all in one" box, that has internal ADS-B Out, that too would have to be certified by a repair station, or.....etc.???

MTV

Operationally, my opinion is that the PAPR report tells you that your ADS-B out is working correctly. But my opinion is that it will not take the place of the recert that we have to do every other year. So if you just had the system installed and needed to show paperwork that the system was checked for proper operation, I'd plead the PAPR report. But I'd be leary of trying that for the purposes of a recert. In all honesty, I don't have a good answer for that. I'll have to go back and re read Part 43.

And don't get wrapped around the axle about your system being 'all in one' or pieced together with a UAT. ADS-B out is just ADS-B out no matter how the system is built up.

Web

A review of the regulations shows 91.225 (Subpart C)requires the installation of ADSB to operate in certain airspace. (Subpart E) 91.411 requires altimeter and static system tests/calibration for IFR, and data correspondence between the barometric altimeter and digital output from mode C for all transponder/altitude reporting equipped aircraft regardless of type operation. 91.413 identifies tests for all transponder equipped aircraft. There is no regulatory requirement to test ADSB equipment beyond that required for installation. Lots of STCs for ADSB don’t require any testing beyond the check you do in your phone app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I re read the applicable parts of Parts 91 and 43 and I agree. But I'd caution anyone with ADS-B installed that Part 43, appendix F, (e), (f), (g), and (h) specifically calls out testing requirements for any mode S units. Since ADS-B is a mode S transponder with a GPS signal injected into the reply, be sure that any test box is capable of doing these tests.

To me it just makes sense to have the instrument shop do a complete test of the ADS-B out system for the 24 month recert. By reg they are required to test everything BUT the GPS signal anyways.

Web

Ok. Found a little info from a memorandum (unfortunatley not an FAR). This cut is from AFS-360_2016-03-02 and is found on page 3. It says that the system must be checked out after initial installation and says it can be done with the operational flight evaluation or with ramp test equipment. Not rule of law but a little legal coverage if a fed comes around. Might want to note the flight test or ramp test in the maintenance logs for future reference, also.

Web

Attachments

• ADS-B testing.png
    ADS-B testing.png
    327.5 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
I am going to do a Trig set up in my Super Cub project, Comm and transponder. Has anyone figured out a good way to cut the weird holes other then lay it out and use a nibbler/file?

I just cut a round hole and used the adapters, just personal preference plus it makes it more compatible for future changes.
f9fb4cd83ed5f8d43206778679bb823f.jpg

I've been trying to figure that out for a couple of years. The punches made for that are crazy expensive. I was thinking maybe a plate with a pattern hole cut into it. Clamp it into place and use a small router bit. Anyone else have ideas on this?

Web

If you have a pin router that would be a good way to do it. Or, find someone with a CNC router.

Example of a pin router?

I've been thinking of using a modified pencil grinder by making a plate to allow it to ride on the pattern while cutting.

Web

Example of a pin router?

I've been thinking of using a modified pencil grinder by making a plate to allow it to ride on the pattern while cutting.

Web

This is a large example but it has an index pin on the table to follow a template. Typically have a template made from 0.100-.125 with a piece of plywood sandwiched between it and the workpiece. This is how ribs were cut out before CNC.
1dddb931e9d98b97a2ca45645b0f4c58.jpg

Back