• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Edo-aire Gascolator 33-199-105-3 parts list or diagram

chadden

Ireland
I am servicing an Edo-Aire gascolator/fuel strainer on a PA18
There is a top and bottom rubber washer seal for the outer can. The internal strainer mesh should be held in place with locking wire (but was not). However even when properly wired there is still clearance between the strainer cup and the top of the unit which suggests that there should be an internal washer seal on this too.
Edo-Aire is no more and I cannot find much information other than e-bay images online. Has anyone encountered one of these units. Directions to where I might source a washer kit would be most useful. (I could try making a set of course)
BF9A6905-A66F-4467-B27C-AEB6F41D0634.jpeg

Attachments

• BF9A6905-A66F-4467-B27C-AEB6F41D0634.jpeg
    BF9A6905-A66F-4467-B27C-AEB6F41D0634.jpeg
    477.9 KB · Views: 475
Last edited:
Thanks for the Spruce link but I don’t want to buy an alternative for $300+ when I just need a seal kit. This unit dates from the 60’s and the manufacturer no longer exists. I may end up hand crafting new seals...

You might be looking at $100 or more for gaskets. Why spend that much on gaskets when $300 will give you a safer higher quality item? It's your wallet.

If you look at this parts diagram, it looks like Garwin was the original manufacturer. This unit looks identical except for the glass bowl.

Web

Attachments

• strainer.png
    strainer.png
    77.9 KB · Views: 694
What approval process was used to install the Edo-Air gascolator on a PA18? They were used on Cessnas and parts were called out in the Cessna parts manuals. The Steve's gascolator is a safer more maintenance friendly alternative and STC'd for almost everything.

I always made my own gaskets out of high quality cork, with a coating of Hylomar.

A gascolator question came up today - I have always assumed that both inlet and outlet were 1/4" pipe. One of the locals is insisting that they are straight threads with a 37 degree seat. Am I mistaken?

I am servicing an Edo-Aire gascolator/fuel strainer on a PA18
There is a top and bottom rubber washer seal for the outer can. The internal strainer mesh should be held in place with locking wire (but was not). However even when properly wired there is still clearance between the strainer cup and the top of the unit which suggests that there should be an internal washer seal on this too.
Edo-Aire is no more and I cannot find much information other than e-bay images online. Has anyone encountered one of these units. Directions to where I might source a washer kit would be most useful. (I could try making a set of course)
View attachment 50427

That gascolator is not factory.. I would be looking at the logs to see if there is a 337 approving that gascolator for installation.. otherwise you have an illegal part installed and therefore un-airworthy...

I am the holder of the Steve’s Aircraft STC gascolator.. You will find that replace if that part with original from Piper would cost way more than my $285.00 charge...

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always made my own gaskets out of high quality cork, with a coating of Hylomar.

A gascolator question came up today - I have always assumed that both inlet and outlet were 1/4" pipe. One of the locals is insisting that they are straight threads with a 37 degree seat. Am I mistaken?

Factory is 1/4 NPT pipe thread...

Vilcanair (Partenavia) is MS straight fittings with O-Ring seals..

Brian

That gascolator is not factory.. I would be looking at the logs to see if there is a 337 approving that gascolator for installation.. otherwise you have an illegal part installed and therefore un-airworthy...

I am the holder of the Steve’s Aircraft STC gascolator.. You will find that replace if that part with original from Piper would cost way more than my $285.00 charge...

Brian

Some might call that a minor alteration...

He probably has larger tanks and part of that STC requires a larger gascolator. It would be covered under that

There was life before steve’s gascolator......

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Guys, chadden the OP is from Ireland. Do we know what the approval requirements are in Ireland? All he wants is gasket recommendations.

trimcraftaviation.com should have the gaskets. I think they are also a McFarlane dealer, also a good supplier. Shouldn't cost much.

Back