• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Is this normal for landing gear bungee covers?

AX-O

Plane has a left turning tendency during straight and level flight. I notice the the bungee cover on the right side does not rotate up as much as the left. I think it is getting stuck in flight because i cant rotate it up by hand on the ground as much as the left one.

Attachments

• FA69EBC9-E7AF-4313-8F01-506DA045002E.jpeg
    FA69EBC9-E7AF-4313-8F01-506DA045002E.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 280
I dont believe the slip stream can be that different less than a foot away in that location (aero eng guy guesstination). They dont move up the same amount on the ground. One moves higher than the other.

Last edited:
Put some DC4 on the grommets, they should rotate freely and trail in flight. All the ones I maintain that still have them do.

Does the airplane have a heavy wing or turns when you don't keep the ball centered with rudder?

The original covers from Piper came with two soft foam rubber doughnuts inside that pressed against the hydrasorb lugs which kept them streamlined. These would deteriorate quickly from age or oil contamination. Doubtful that many get replaced especially if people didn’t realize their purpose. With them installed the covers do not rotate. It is fairly easy to make replacements.

I dont believe the slip stream can be that different less than a foot away in that location (aero eng guy guesstination). They dont move up the same amount on the ground. One moves higher than the other.
Yeah, but - - - A, it's more than a foot between bungees and the swirling slipstream component perpendicular to the relevant shock strut certainly varies significantly in that region, and B there are lots of drag inputs other than the bungee covers. Twist the vert stab a little bit.

they should rotate freely and trail in flight.

Does the airplane have a heavy wing or turns when you don't keep the ball centered with rudder?

They do rotate but the one on the right and the one on the left do not rotate as much. The trailing edge on the right one rotates up only about half of the distance as the one on the left. The one on the right contacts the bungee and does not rotate any further. The one on the left moves with more freedom. It feels like to me that the center on rotation on the right one is different than the one on the left, when I compare them to each other.

With the ball centered and no aileron input, the aircraft wants to turn to the left.

The original covers from Piper came with two soft foam rubber doughnuts inside that pressed against the hydrasorb lugs which kept them streamlined. It is fairly easy to make replacements.

Do you have any pictures?

Do you have any pictures?[/QUOTE]

just happen to have an old set in the shop which are probably 60 years old so I opened them up.

These Cushions are not shown in the parts book, and they will prevent rotation. These did not rotate even deteriorated as they are.

Attachments

• ED300F88-F165-46DF-81C2-D68885CAA50A.jpeg
    ED300F88-F165-46DF-81C2-D68885CAA50A.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 51B2382C-0680-4E17-A09E-5865FB0992FE.jpg
    51B2382C-0680-4E17-A09E-5865FB0992FE.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 138
Pin them even and test fly. You might need to shorten the rear strut on the heavy wing.

Thank you. Will give it a try.

just happen to have an old set in the shop which are probably 60 years old so I opened them up.

These Cushions are not shown in the parts book, and they will prevent rotation. These did not rotate even deteriorated as they are.

Mine have those in there.

Due to my OCD, symmetry issues, I bent up a stainless welding rod and attached it to the trailing edge fasteners.
Kept everything in position🙄

Attachments

• 4F794955-393A-4479-9F77-F5958EA86956.jpeg
    4F794955-393A-4479-9F77-F5958EA86956.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 115
Mine have those in there.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps a dumb question but are they positioned at the upper end near the cabane attach fitting? If they are in halfway decent shape they should be stable. I have found covers assembled in reverse with the cushions at the lower end where they do nothing.

Perhaps a dumb question but are they positioned at the upper end near the cabane attach fitting? If they are in halfway decent shape they should be stable. I have found covers assembled in reverse with the cushions at the lower end where they do nothing.

at the top. But not in good shape.

been thinking about making a set of covers out of carbonfiber because these dont fit that well.

Why don't you take them off and fly the plane? Is it still wing heavy?

Have thought about that. Although I am not new to building airplanes, I am new to this airplane and have not figured out how to support the plane while I remove part of the landing gear off to pull those covers off.

Or just switch to one of the newer shock options. You’re experimental. Install one of the newer shocks and don’t look back.

That would be cool but I just bought this plane and dropping another 3K on chocks is hard to swallow right now. Specially when these are doing fine for my novice experience.

I will figure something out and let you guys know the outcome.

Wing jack works for me. Do one side at a time for whatever.

Gary

Attachments

• image_11767.jpg
    image_11767.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 112
A lot of them (like mine) are riveted at the trailing edge. They don't unwrap.

mine are riveted also. Not a big deal. Will just take time. If i drill them out, i can rivet a piano hinge on the trailing edge. Makes it easier to remove next time.

Back